Dan Slott's Personal Faves.

Roughneck

Avenger
Reaction score
I found this post on another boards from sometime last year and since I know we all love the Slott man here I thought I would share.

Dan Slott said:
Hi,
Thanks for the interest, sir. To answer your question: WIZARD #163, May '05, ran a complete checklist of my work (including some of my stuff that was miscredited-- which was darn thorough of 'em!).

For some reason they also credited me with having written Vertigo's WEIRD WAR TALES #3-- which I never did. And I'm pretty sure only 2 of my WHAT THE--?! stories saw print instead of 3. And, conversely, I'm pretty certain I wrote 3 issues of GROSS POINT instead of 2. Oh, and they double listed SABAN POWERHOUSE: INTO THE FIRE, calling it SABAN'S MASKED RIDER #1 elsewhere on the list. But BESIDES that-- their list is pretty darn accurate.

And-- brief words of warning-- if you're going to hunt down my stuff in back issue boxes...

PLEASE don't read the DOC SAMSON mini-series, my two-issue guest stint on NIGHT THRASHER, the aforementioned GROSS POINT, or ANY of my PHANTOM RIDER back-ups in THE ORIGINAL GHOST RIDER RIDES AGAIN. Because... well... they're all pain-inducingly bad! Really, really, really awful stuff. I accept full blame. Just look away. Trust me, they're not even worth it for the watching-a-train-wreck/Ed Wood factor. I kid you not!

Okay... You've been warned. I can do no more.

If you want to track down some of MY favorites though, here are some of my digging-through-the-back-issue-bin faves:

DISNEY'S ALADDIN #11
(Worst pun I've ever put into print: "No one commits a sultan battery while I'm around!")

BATMAN ADVENTURES #5-#9
(Batman infiltrates Black Mask's gang as Matches Malone. Also reprinted in the BATMAN ADVENTURES DIGEST: SHADOWS & MASKS).

BATMAN ADVENTURES #11
(In just 5 pages, learn why the Riddler stays straight.)

BATMAN ADVENTURES #12
(The REAL secret origin of Batman's trophy room in the Batcave. This one is SPIDEY/TORCH level sappy. I REALLY liked this one! And it was my only time writing the Dick Grayson version of Robin.)

JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES #6
(Over 40 DCU villains show up as Chronos auctions up three time-frozen superheroes-- Supes, Bats, and Wonder Woman. Much fun. And the only time I ever got to write the Flash Rogues!)

JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES #11
(Chronos again. I LOVE time-travel stories! And this one's a doozy!)

JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES #13
(One of my most reprinted stories-- over 4 times here in the U.S. Good thing it's one I'm proud of! A young superhero gets a chance to sub for Green Lantern in the JLA).

(All 3 JL ADVENTURES stories can be found in the JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES TPB. #6 and #11 were also reprinted in the first JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES digest, and #13 was reprinted in the second.)

Out of all of the LOONEY TUNES issues #47, #49, #52, #62, and #65 are some of my favorites-- but the best ones were the #75 special and #93 (which featured the Chuck Jones tribute story).

I did a whole bunch of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS stories-- but my faves are #89 (where I got to write Joe Madureira's first published story!), #116 (where I got to do a Two-Gun Kid story with GIL KANE! How cool is THAT? It was also reprinted in the MARVEL VISIONARIES: GIL KANE TPB), #148 (a Captain Universe story that will also be reprinted in the upcoming CAPTAIN UNIVERSE TPB), and #156 (a funky story starring my favorite Golden Age hero, The Mighty Destroyer).

MIDNIGHT SONS UNLIMITED #9 (a 40+ page romp starring the Blazing Skull, Union Jack, and The Mighty Destroyer)

MIGHTY MOUSE #10
(My first comic)

POWDERED TOASTMAN SPECIAL
(First time I got to team-up with Ty "The Guy" Templeton!)

POWERPUFF GIRLS #34
(Just 'cause it's so darn cute!)

REN & STIMPY #6
(Powdered Toastman vs. Spider-Man!)

REN & STIMPY EENTERACTIVE SPECIAL
(The second half of the book is a 6 ft. + Mobius Comic Strip that you get to put together so that you can read Ren & Stimpy forever and ever and ever!)

REN & STIMPY HOLIDAY SPECIAL
(Somehow, within the space of 48 pages. we told stories that riffed on Gift of the Magi, the Grinch, Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, Rudolph, A Christmas Carol, The Night Before Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, A Charlie Brown Christmas Special, Santa Claus vs. the Martians, Norelco Ads, and more... AND Nickelodeon let us (effectively) have Ren-- in a full page splash-- scream "***** Christmas!" Nifty.)

REN & STIMPY MASTERS OF TIME & SPACE
(If you hunt for ONE thing that I've done in the back issue bins-- this is it. A 48 page interactive comic book about time travel. The comic folds in on itself and reuses earlier assets in new ways. It's hard to describe, but it was SO fun to do. It ate up 6 months of my life to make sure it all worked. It came out over 10 years ago, and it's still one of my favorite things I've ever done in comics.)

SCOOBY DOO #5
(Because it was a gosh-darn good mystery! Really!)

SCOOBY DOO #50
(Because it was one-big-fanboy-goof using practically ALL of the first run Scooby Doo villains-- AND special guest-appearances by a LOT of the HB Scooby Doo knock offs and spin offs-- Funky Phantom, Speedy Buggy, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, and (my personal faves) Blue Falcon and Dynomutt!)

SUPERMAN ADVENTURES #57
(I thought this might honestly be my one-and-only shot at writing Superman-- so I threw everyting into it! And I do mean EVERYTHING!)

TOMB RAIDER #50
(My favorite movie of all time is RAIDERS. And THIS was my chance to do Indiana Jones-- with breasts. Seriously, though, when TOP COW gave me a ring and said, "What do you want to do at Top Cow?"... I jumped up and down and yelled "Tomb Raider!"... And there you go.)

VENOM SUPER SPECIAL #1
(A Spider-Man/Black Symbiote story... with Mark Bagley!)

and finally...

WEIRD WAR TALES #3
(Just kidding. Wanted to see if you were paying attention.)

ttyl
Dan

Makes me wanna go get the Doc Samson mini.......

They need to get JMS off of ASM or FF and give it to Slott.

GNR4Life said:
They need to get JMS off of ASM or FF and give it to Slott.

Holy crap, why did I never think that Slott would be perfect for Fantastic Four also :eek:

Dan Slott said:
REN & STIMPY EENTERACTIVE SPECIAL
(The second half of the book is a 6 ft. + Mobius Comic Strip that you get to put together so that you can read Ren & Stimpy forever and ever and ever!)

REN & STIMPY HOLIDAY SPECIAL
(Somehow, within the space of 48 pages. we told stories that riffed on Gift of the Magi, the Grinch, Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, Rudolph, A Christmas Carol, The Night Before Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, A Charlie Brown Christmas Special, Santa Claus vs. the Martians, Norelco Ads, and more... AND Nickelodeon let us (effectively) have Ren-- in a full page splash-- scream "***** Christmas!" Nifty.)

REN & STIMPY MASTERS OF TIME & SPACE
(If you hunt for ONE thing that I've done in the back issue bins-- this is it. A 48 page interactive comic book about time travel. The comic folds in on itself and reuses earlier assets in new ways. It's hard to describe, but it was SO fun to do. It ate up 6 months of my life to make sure it all worked. It came out over 10 years ago, and it's still one of my favorite things I've ever done in comics.)

listen to the man, these three specials are works of art

Roughneck said:
Makes me wanna go get the Doc Samson mini.......

I've got it...and, even though it might not be memorable, I can promise it's better than the current piece of crap Doc Samson mini they are doing right now. Seriously, I'm thinking Marvel really will have to introduce some serious suckage to beat that for Worst Marvel comic of 2006.

I have th' Tomb Raider, a Ren & Stimpy an' I think a couple of those MCPs. Man, gotta build up my Slott backlist!

Roughneck said:
Slott for Exiles.

That would be an excellent idea, until Mr. Claremont gets better. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely disappointed with CC getting the Exiles gig, but I don't want to see him lose it because of being sick. In the meantime though, I think DS would be the perfect person to jump around the multiverse.

I think that is Awesome. Sultan battery.....Cause there was probably a Sultan involved.

Roughneck said:
Slott for Exiles.

Slott for everything. He should write every Marvel title. Just kidding. But he does deserve a high profile book I think. He'd be perfect for FF or a Spider-Man book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"