• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Daredevil:Director's Cut..my thesis

roach

I am the night
Reaction score
If you have not seen the DC then I recommend that you go watch it.

The good: As much as BB and TDK are thrown about as realistic movies it is my opinion that this one is more realistic. Matt Murdock is banged up and scarred. He has to pop a variety of pain killers to go to sleep. Matt's life is hell. Any other hero you want to be. Even the worst ones like Spider-man(the perpetual loser) and Batman(the grim one). In this movie you dont want to be Matt Murdock...you pity him. He constantly has to convince himself that what he is doing is right.

The costume:Is one of the most faithful costumes in film only surpassed by Spider-man and Superman. I know people complain about the mask not being attached to the suit but I think it was a good decision. For a hero who has to turn his head left and right to hear a stiff cowl (like in the Bat movies) would have taken away his flexibility.

The Bad: Where this movie fails is that midway thru the tone changes. The playground/fight scene. We have the awesome dark movie and then suddenly we are given a scene that is light and played for laughs. Bullseye is also played for laughs. Not one scene with Bullseye is without some humor in it.
The other thing this movie did wrong is tried to do too much. We have Daredevil's origin, Elektra's origin, Intro to Kingpin and Bullseye. This movie was written with no sequel in mind..."Lets jam everything into this movie because we arent going to be able to do another one."

Again I do recommend watching the DC and then to get a glimpse into how stupid Fox is look at the making of documentary.

I like the DC, and while not one to jump to the defense of BB and TDK, you cant say DD was more realistic when DD himself can do jumps of bout 30-40 feet, and fall multiple stories from the top of a building and not be cruched to death when he lands.

Overall though, the DD DC is very-underated.

The realistic aspect came from how Matt is treated...he is taking multiple painkillers, he has cuts and bruises all over his body...generally his life is going no where fast

^Yes, that bit was realistic, but then it was all negated by him doing jumps a human is physically incapable of, hell most animals are as well, so you cant say its more realistic than BB and TDK when it has these things in it IMO.

Oh I get thatn some of the stuff he did was unrealistic however the part I am mentioning as realistic is how they treated Matt Murdoch

You are letting your fandom get the better of you.

You talk about scars and popping painpills, but then we see Bruce Wayne dealing with this in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Also, at the beginning of the movie, Daredevil is badly wounded and bleeding and he collapses in the church. Yet without any medical treatment he's able to fight and beat Bullseye without a problem like he wasn't "bleeding to death" and halfway gone like they tried to present at the beginning of the movie.

I thought the elements showing Matt Murdock dealing with spitting a tooth at, having scars, and popping pain pills were interesting in that they are going to go this way. Yet they half-assed it because they didn't take these ideas any further than the superficial way they were presented.

You are letting your fandom get the better of you.

You talk about scars and popping painpills, but then we see Bruce Wayne dealing with this in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Also, at the beginning of the movie, Daredevil is badly wounded and bleeding and he collapses in the church. Yet without any medical treatment he's able to fight and beat Bullseye without a problem like he wasn't "bleeding to death" and halfway gone like they tried to present at the beginning of the movie.

I thought the elements showing Matt Murdock dealing with spitting a tooth at, having scars, and popping pain pills were interesting in that they are going to go this way. Yet they half-assed it because they didn't take these ideas any further than the superficial way they were presented.

oh I never claimed it was a perfect film..in fact the film starts to go downhill at the playground scene and it never redeemed itself. Yes they did show it in BB and TDK but I think they showed it better in DD. I imagine that if one was to become a costumed vigilante in real life and be somewhat sucessful you'd develop a dependancy to painkillers.

BB and TDK aren't realistic. Neither is Daredevil : DC.

I'm definitely in the camp that places the DD DC ahead of Batman Begins. I honestly think it's a better film. TDK still rates ahead, however.

Affleck as DD works and as it's presented, I really believed he can kick the crap out of a bar full of thugs. As mentioned above, I never really bought Bale in the bat-suit. He couldn't move his neck and Nolan either had to cover for that fact or he has trouble filming action. What I don't agree with is the mention that DD had tone troubles. The playful playground skirmish seems silly but it works for some reason. The only thing I liked better in the theatrical version that was cut from the DC was the walk after the skirmish. Elektra asking Matt how a blind man could do such things adds more depth and was a much better way to go.

The DD DC was more about Matt/Daredevil as Hell's Kitchen protector and troubled soul. It's such a better cut of the film.

I list the playground scene as the begining of the end because up until that scene the movie is a dark and serious film. Sure there is the light banter between Matt and Foggy but thats Foggy's purpose in the film. That scene is played for laughs and then every scene after that with Bullseye in it is played for laughs.

I list the playground scene as the begining of the end because up until that scene the movie is a dark and serious film. Sure there is the light banter between Matt and Foggy but thats Foggy's purpose in the film. That scene is played for laughs and then every scene after that with Bullseye in it is played for laughs.

The movie was okay for me up until DD's first fight with Bullseye. After that, everything just felt rushed.

That whole sequence after the origin I thought would've made a good short film. A day in the life of Matt Murdock.

goddamn double post

Last edited:
The movie was okay for me up until DD's first fight with Bullseye. After that, everything just felt rushed.

I actually didn't feel that way about the Director's Cut where that scene occurs earlier in the film. The whole resolution to the Kingpin/WOW storyline and the Coolio trial occurs after that. One of my favourite scenes in the movie, when Matt goes crazy and goes after a confession from Jude Ciccolella's corrupt cop character without even bothering to put on his costume. Most of the crucial additions to the Director's Cut occurred after the first Bullseye/DD fight, IMO. That is where the theatrical cut really suffered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"