Dark Horse & Universal

CorpusBlack

Sidekick
Reaction score
From a MySpace Bulletin posted by Dark Horse.

Universal City, CA and Milwaukie, OR - 14 March 2008 - Universal Pictures and Dark Horse Entertainment have signed a three-year production and distribution agreement that establishes a studio home for all of Dark Horse's creative properties going forward. The agreement was jointly announced by Marc Shmuger and David Linde, Chairman and Co-Chairman of Universal Pictures; and Mike Richardson, founder and President of Dark Horse.

Under the terms of the deal, Universal would have creative access to all Dark Horse characters and properties, as well as any material that Dark Horse might acquire on its own and want to develop as a motion picture. In addition, Dark Horse would have the opportunity to distribute movies through Universal.

Universal Pictures is opening Hellboy II: The Golden Army, directed by Guillermo del Toro and based on Mike Mignola's Dark Horse Comics character, on July 11, 2008.

"Dark Horse is one of the most creative and innovative brands in the entertainment industry, as well as an incredibly supportive home for some of the most exciting storytellers working today," said Shmuger and Linde in a joint statement. "Their unique connection to youth culture is proven, and we are thrilled to be part of their expanding film production work."

Mike Richardson responded, "We've worked with many studios and have had several great experiences, but we are particularly happy to be joining forces with Universal Pictures in this deal. We feel a real connection with their vision and the energy and creativity they bring to developing our properties. We are also excited by the option that we'll have to independently produce our own material and distribute it through Universal; their flexibility in this collaboration is what we were looking for, and we're glad we found it."

Donna Langley, President of Production, Universal Pictures, added, "We are very much looking forward to working with Dark Horse's talented writers and artists, and to realizing their wealth of creative content onscreen."

Dark Horse Entertainment is represented by Endeavor and The Gotham Group.

About Dark Horse Comics
Since 1986, Dark Horse Comics has proven to be a solid example of how integrity and innovation can help broaden a unique storytelling medium and establish a small, homegrown company as an industry giant. The company is known for the progressive and creator friendly atmosphere it provides for writers and artists. In addition to publishing comics from top talent like Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, Steve Niles, Gerard Way and comics legend Will Eisner, Dark Horse has developed such successful characters as The Mask, Timecop, and SpyBoy. Additionally, their highly successful line of comics and products based on popular properties includes Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aliens, Conan, Emily the Strange, Tim Burton, Trigun, and Serenity. Today Dark Horse Comics is the third largest comic-book publisher in the U.S. and is recognized as the world's leading publisher of licensed comics material.

About Universal Pictures
Universal Pictures is a division of Universal Studios www. universalstudios. com. Universal Studios is part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi.

If this means I am closer to seeing Steve Niles develop a Cal McDonald movie starring Tom Jane then Im excited

So, I guess Universal might be distributing Sin City 2. Or even co-producing with Troublemaker.
thinkingis7.gif

If this means I am closer to seeing Steve Niles develop a Cal McDonald movie starring Tom Jane then Im excited

Three years will go by in the blink of an eye though. So hopefully they get cracking or sign a longer deal.

Three years will go by in the blink of an eye though. So hopefully they get cracking or sign a longer deal.

there must be some type of tentative agreement like no progress in three years then they'll move on

Kind of nice how everything has a place now:

DC comics - Warner Bros.
Marvel Comics - Marvel Studios/Paramount (except for the stuff they sold the rights to)
Dark Horse Comics - Universal

what movies do you guys expect to come out of this, I'm thinking that if Hellboy 2 does good then we'll get a third one, and if that one is good possibly a BPRD flick.

Also possibly The Goon

what movies do you guys expect to come out of this, I'm thinking that if Hellboy 2 does good then we'll get a third one, and if that one is good possibly a BPRD flick.

Also possibly The Goon

Good question. A Mask "do-over" could be in the cards, but I don't know where they are in regards to the film rights for that character right now.

the first one was good, nothing like the book, but it was good, the second was trash, if they were to do a third I don't know what direction they would go into, slapstick like the first or more dark comedy like the book.

the first one was good, nothing like the book, but it was good, the second was trash, if they were to do a third I don't know what direction they would go into, slapstick like the first or more dark comedy like the book.

I think they should revamp it.

I think they should continue the series but ignore the last film.

Kind of nice how everything has a place now:

DC comics - Warner Bros.
Marvel Comics - Marvel Studios/Paramount (except for the stuff they sold the rights to)
Dark Horse Comics - Universal

More like Batman/Superman at Warner Bros. Cause those other projects...well, lets just say, I'm sure they wont be seen for a very, very long time.

Anyway, as for Dark Horse, I would love to see a darker Mask film, or BPRD.

Good question. A Mask "do-over" could be in the cards, but I don't know where they are in regards to the film rights for that character right now.

I don't think they should do it over, but they should make it more like the first one and have Walter as the villian. Also, there should be alittle more comedic violence.

If they do a Mask movie, it should be like the comics this time.

If they do a Mask movie, it should be like the comics this time.

But if they're planning one just like the comics, they'll have to release it in about 18 years to distance themselves from the current franchise. I rather they make a new one, have Walter as the villian, and so it runs smooth with the franchise, have another person wear the mask. It should be violent and have blood, but not overly bloody like the comics. The comics are awesome, but they just can't make it that bloody because the general audience will think it's kid-friendly and will take their kids to see it. They shouldn't start over though, they made one wrong and now they have the chance to make a right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"