Mike Flanagan's Adaptation of Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower'

Abra, Danny & Rose To The Dark Tower Go?
Posted: March 18, 2023, 01:10:24
Mike Flanagan spoke to Script Apart Podcast about his ideas for The Dark Tower and it turns out he want to add characters from The Shining and Doctor Sleep to The Dark Tower universe.

“Abra Stone in the Dark Tower universe, as a Breaker [telepathic agent], is really interesting,” he says. “There’s a character in The Dark Tower named Dandelo, who I think is a cousin of the True Knot, who’s this emotional vampire but who feeds on laughter instead of fear. But there’s room in that world for the True Knot themselves, there’s room for Rose The Hat. There might be room for Danny Torrance.”

What do you think, should Abra, Danny and Rose The Hat be in The Dark Tower adaptation? Personally I don’t think so. They are fine in their own world and not everything King has written are connected to The Dark Tower

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2023]
I think it would depend on how they are used. If they move the plot forward, fine. If they go off in stupid tangents, then no.

I'm sure the strike has pushed this way back. :(

https://collider.com/the-dark-tower-series-mike-flanagan-comments/

In a new episode of FANGORIA's The Kingcast, Flanagan revealed that he and the rest of the team are "making enormous progress" on the series, though for now, most development on the series is halted due to the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Flanagan added that he has "every reason to believe that on the other side of the strike, it's gonna be priority #1." He continued by teasing "great partners" working alongside him to adapt the books, as well as undisclosed actors already circling roles. He also teased "groundbreaking" tactics, shared his confidence in moving forward, as well as standing in solidarity with WGA and SAG-AFTRA.

"We have some potentially groundbreaking approaches to the filmmaking of it that I just can't really talk about ... but what I cansay is that my fears that any momentum we had developed was gonna be obliterated [by the strike], well, I don't really worry about that. We're in a healthy place. We are of course in solidarity with the WGA and SAG, and once those immediate needs are taken care of and everyone's back to work, I think that's when we're gonna immediately deploy. But it's going very well."

Enough talk! Give it now!

1710091745931.gif

I think they just like teasing us. :waa:

It should be taken into account that this is being developed independently by Flanagan's own production company so it's not like they're on a rush. This is a tough sell, a weird, genre defying, expensive property and the fact that the movie bombed and that there was a previous failed attempt at a series at Amazon doesn't help either. In fact If it gets financed it will only be trough a very thorough and well prepared presentation and goodwill on Flanagan.
The fact that they're tring to add in characters from Doctor Sleep tells me that there may be some talks going on with Warners. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"