David Fincher Confirmed for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering all of the LOTR movies were improved by the extended editions and are universally praised for doing so I personally dont see how it does, but to each his own.

Not to send this thread off track, but I've always felt the TTT and ROTK EE were improvements, but not FOTR.

Not to send this thread off track, but I've always felt the TTT and ROTK EE were improvements, but not FOTR.

The FOTR theatrical cut is perfect. I enjoy the EE, especially the full gift giving scene, but the original version flows a lot better.

TTT and ROTK EE lend themselves to redundancy. Some good, some bad, but not a lot of new information.

I'd have to disagree, I thought the EE's for all 3 films improved upon the TC's quite a bit.

The one thing they definitely improves upon with the EE was at the end of TTT. Everything felt cut short in the theatrical cut. It gave a much more satisfying conclusion to that part of the story.

I agree that TTT improved in the EE because it breathed more at the end and gave Faramir a lot more depth with his flashback to his father and Boromir--which lends weight to the third film.

FOTR and ROTK's EE include scenes from the books so if you're a fan that's nice, but they really just slow the movie down and don't really add to the narrative, in my opinion.

I haven't seen the extended versions. I would like to see them for the first two films because the final scene of the first book (Lisbeth buying a Christmas present for Mikael and seeing him with Erika, then trashing it) is not in the 2.5-hour version I own, but is in the EE. That's one bit that makes me really like Fincher's version for leaving it in. The second film is also a bit disjointed, so a 3-hour version may work better. The third film at 2.5 hours is about right and it cuts so much fat out of the book that I don't really want to see any of it return.

I recommend the Swedish films, but as I said the second one does feel "amateur" (Daniel Alfredson replaced Niels Oplev as director and did not seem as confident with the second film as he was with the third). The third is a satisfying finale on the characters and I think plays even better if you've read the book and see how much meandering they've trimmed for a tighter film.

I understand that the Hollywood version of TGWDDT was able to round up a bigger budget and edgier director, but honestly, all 3 of the Swedish films come off as slightly amateurish to me. Some really great moments peppered throughout the Swedish trilogy, but overall, the cinematography and execution were not too compelling to watch. The second film, especially, looks like a well-made TV movie.

I'm confident that the American film versions of the final two books will be made with the proper changes to enhance the stories and tell them in a less straightforward manner.

The FOTR theatrical cut is perfect. I enjoy the EE, especially the full gift giving scene, but the original version flows a lot better.

Exactly. Nice to see some of us LOTR EE contrarians coming out of the woodwork here. :)

I understand that the Hollywood version of TGWDDT was able to round up a bigger budget and edgier director, but honestly, all 3 of the Swedish films come off as slightly amateurish to me. Some really great moments peppered throughout the Swedish trilogy, but overall, the cinematography and execution were not too compelling to watch. The second film, especially, looks like a well-made TV movie.

I'm confident that the American film versions of the final two books will be made with the proper changes to enhance the stories and tell them in a less straightforward manner.

I'd agree with the second film. I somewhat disagree on the third and strongly on the first. The Swedish movie may not have had the production values that Fincher had or the stylish vision, but it had an authenticity, hard to replicate by Hollywood no matter all the style Fincher brought, I tend to prefer.

According to Blu-ray.com this is due for release on BD in March, quite early if you ask me but thats no bad thing to me.

Thats probably the US date so as usual us Brits will probably have to wait at least a few weeks more.

^Oh I dont know, you get some before us, I know because my brother lives in Melbourne and he often has films on BD before they are coming out here.

Well we only got the film out in theaters on the 19th of January so we have some time to wait. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy only just came out on Thursday -_-

Ah then yes you guys will have to wait a bit longer, TTSS was a British movie so it they always came out internationally a while after their UK bow.

^Yeah, I just want it to make as much as possible at this point, I really want to see the next two books adapted, I am currently reading the 2nd one now.

Did well over sea again this weekend as well.

When its all said and done this movie will have had a pretty decent run, a lot greater chance for the final two movies. But still looking unsure if Fincher will return or not.

Some of you may be familiar with FilmCritHulk. Personally, he's one of my favorite writers on the web. Currently he writes collums for Badass Digest.

Recently he wrote one of his standardly epic lenght essays with the intent of taking on his thoughts and relationship with Fight Club. In the process though he examines Fincher's work in general and spends quite a bit of time bringing up a number of points about Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and I must say that I fully agree with most of his insights, both with this film, Fight Club and the rest of Fincher's filmography. I'd post a link but there is some profanity and the like.

When its all said and done this movie will have had a pretty decent run, a lot greater chance for the final two movies. But still looking unsure if Fincher will return or not.

I think the movie will do decent on DVD/BD also. And yeah I really hope Fincher comes back, I cant imagine anyone else taking over at this point.

Meh, I can't disagree with any of the Oscar 10, but definitely best score should have been well deserved. It was a good movie, but there's only so much you can do with such overrated, overhyped source material.

I'm kind of happy it didn't get a best score nomination, 'cause I don't think they deserved to win the one they got last year. The Social Network's score had its moments, but overall, it was kind of boring.

As much as I like TGWTDT's score, it isn't as strong as TSN's, which it's just pure bliss. This year should go to Bource for The Artist, man is that score f-ing good.

Happy to hear about Mara's nomination. Here's hoping she wins!

As someone who saw the original Swedish films, Fincher's remake didn't impress me a whole lot. Yeah, the cinematography was different in a good way and a couple of scenes was played out different (which is probably more closer to the books which I haven't read). I did enjoy Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander was great but I still prefer Noomi Rapace's version. The thing that I didn't enjoy was the accents, at times they were good and I didn't mind it but sometimes they lose their accents and it became annoying.
7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"