David Fincher's 'Gone Girl' Starring Ben Affleck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
David Fincher in talks to direct adaptation of 'Gone Girl'

After taking a year to find his next project, David Fincher may be ready to helm another popular book adaptation.

While no offer is on the table yet, Fincher is in talks to helm Fox's "Gone Girl" by acclaimed author Gillian Flynn. Flynn wrote the first draft of the screenplay.

Reese Witherspoon and Bruna Papandrea will produce through their Pacific Standard banner along with Leslie Dixon.

Story revolves around a woman who disappears on the day of her fifth wedding anniversary. It is unknown at this time if Witherspoon would have a role in the film as well.

A large bidding war ensued last summer when the book was originally brought out to studios with Fox paying in the seven figure range to outbid other studios such as Universal for the rights.

Fincher had been attached to direct a reboot of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" for Disney and sources say there is still a possibility he could do that next and hold off on "Gone Girl." Back in October, Variety first reported that Disney had placed a three month hold on the director as it decided whether to move forward with the film. During this time, Fincher began courting his frequent collaborator Brad Pitt for the role of Ned Landis, which Kirk Douglas played in the original pic.

The Pitt casting never came though and the studio is still deciding on what to do with the project, insiders say Fincher had begun looking for other projects in case "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" fell through.

Fincher is no stranger to book adaptations having done a handful including Sony's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" which grossed more than $230 million worldwide.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064952/

Give me 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea over this any day. My girlfriend listened to this on audio book in the car and I wanted to kill myself the entire time.

Apparently the producers want Emily Blunt for the lead role. I hope it's true.

The plot description is too vague to get me interested.

Yeah, It's hard to gauge what the plot is (dark obviously). Otherwise, it sounds run of the mill.

Come on, Fincher, give me another The Game, Seven, or Fight Club. I miss 90s Fincher.

Yeah, I do miss his the Fincher of old: I still think he hasn't made a film as good as Fight Club. Not to say Social Network or Zodiac aren't good. They're great..but Fight Club to me was just groundbreaking stuff, along with Se7en and to a point, the underrated Game. The Game was innovative and compelling in its own right and I'm glad it got a Criterion DVD release recently.

Guess he isn't directing the next Dragon Tattoo film. Shame.

Amazon's description of the book:
Marriage can be a real killer.

One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction.” Gone Girl’s toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

It's a bit disappointing that he'd direct a film with "Girl" in the title, and that it's not "The Girl Who Played With Fire".

Ah well.

It looks like if there is a female lead she'd only be there in flashbacks, unless the bulk of the story is the guy going over her story in his head.

Now that servant Sawyer has done his job I am much more intrigued by this potential film. :BA

Pfft, servant... like I'd work for you people for free. :o

she is a great actress when give the material she did win and deserve her oscar

No she did not deserve her Oscar. Felicity Huffman did. Also, the fact that you said that she's only good when given the right material proves how bad she is. Good actors are good, even with crappy material (Ex: Gary Oldman in Red Riding Hood). I've never seen Witherspoon give a performance worthy of being called 'decent'.

But wait... what does this mean for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Is he confirmed to be directing Gone Girl?

Guess he isn't directing the next Dragon Tattoo film. Shame.
Making a franshise is just waste of time and effort for a brilliant director like David Fincher. I rather have him doing original films than sequels. Dragon Tattoo was far from his best work anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"