DayZ (aka the coolest zombie game you've never heard of)

Discussion in 'PC' started by Soapy, May 11, 2012.

1. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

That's pronounced "day-z", by the way, not "daze". Or I guess "day zed" if you're British? Maybe? I don't know.

Anyway, DayZ is mod currently in development for Arma II (though due to its popularity the devs have said it may become a full standalone game). It's an open world multiplayer post-apocalyptic zombie survival simulation. Each server can support up to around 50 players. The world in the game is huge. The game features permanent death, meaning once your current character is dead, they stay dead. There is some persistence to the game in that you can take your gear from one server to another.

I'm going to shut up about the game now since I've never actually played it and if I say anymore I run the risk of totally misrepresenting the game. I suppose I'll let DayZ speak for itself.

These first two videos chronicle a small group doing their best to survive. Think of it as half an episode of The Walking Dead or something. Also, the mod is still in early alpha so you'll have to excuse any jank you see.
    [YT]2u7qlxPbQwE[/YT]
    [YT]5e-9C09T-R4[/YT]

This video is an installation guide for anyone super interested.
    [YT]wjWFv1CUa6Y[/YT]

As a bonus, a fourth video featuring Arnold Schwarzenneger playing DayZ. :hehe:
    [YT]fgKIeKavdkI[/YT]

2. Lone

Lone Non-playable character

Third-person view available? Oh God YES!

That last video makes me sad because Arnie was attached to star in "I AM LEGEND" at one point if I remember correctly.:csad:

3. Master Chief

Master Chief ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I'm really tempted to drop $30 on ARMA II: Combined Ops for this even though the summer sale is right around the corner... I know it's still going through really tough times with updates and whatnot but I want to play it.

4. Master Chief

Master Chief ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I played a bit of it. Got spawned on the beach with a bunch of zombies in front of me coz it was a populated server hahah. Caught the attention of one and started zigzagging through a field while losing blood as others started chasing me... I think I saw another survivor lying prone in a bush, but anyway, I ran out onto the road and eventually lost them by running up a hill.

Then I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to bandage myself. Got it done, but now the screen was all gray and blurry coz I lost too much blood... found a barn, got a double barrel shotty and a rifle, a pop can, tons of ammo off someone who died in there... then got overrun by zombies and died as I tried to leave coz I couldn't see s**t without a blood transfusion and passed out in the middle of the field.

It's pretty cool but I think I'll get more play time out of the base game hahah.

5. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

I saw some playthrough test footage a year or so ago with it using music by Goblin from the Romero movies. Creeped me out. :up:

6. Nathan

Nathan ...

Source

7. Nathan

Nathan ...

Source

8. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

It's cool that they're thinking about that, but I don't think the console crowd would embrace something like DayZ.

9. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

They embraced Skyrim, Fallout, and countless other overcomplicated rpg type of games, they'd definitely embrace DayZ.

10. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

Not sure if serious.

11. Nathan

Nathan ...

12. Nathan

Nathan ...

13. Nathan

Nathan ...

Source

14. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

So glad this game got flamed into hell...
    we don't need developers like that in the industry.

15. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

16. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

Are you sure you aren't thinking about The War Z? The game that basically tried to rip off DayZ and rushed an unfinished product to market, with millions of bugs, but a completely working microtransaction system. You can read all about that controversy here:

http://kotaku.com/5969784/the-war-z-mess-every-crazy-detail-we-know-so-far

17. masterthehero

masterthehero Superheroine Book Author

I've seen this game played at gamespot.com Certainly looked interesting, but definitely needs to be a stand alone rather than a mod.

18. goldgw

goldgw New Member

That's right:woot:

19. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

I figured there was a thread for this somewhere.

Anyway the standalone alpha version is out there now and I've been watching a ton of streams with people playing it. It's only $30 on Steam so I got it. I'm excited to try it out...

20. HauntedKnight

HauntedKnight Well-Known Member

So I just downloaded this last night. My computer needs an upgrade in graphics, but it ran OK. Glitches aside it's a fun game. It really is a survival game. Only really frustrating when you literally walk in the middle of nowhere for 30 minutes only to be shot once and dead from god knows where. If you aren't familiar with the game, if you die you lose everything.

21. Colossal Spoons

Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Downloading now. I'm "C_Spoons" on Steam.

22. Evelisse

Evelisse Exactly

Hey anyone playing this, what is the best most popular version going right now, the Stand Alone or the Arma II or Arma III versions?

23. HauntedKnight

HauntedKnight Well-Known Member

I play this very sporadically. It's a fun game, but it's been unplayable the last couple of times. Zombies walking through walls got annoying really quick. Most games I start, I get bit and bleed out because of bad placement and glitches. For early access, its to be expected. Hopefully it improves.

I've been seeing a lot of gameplay for H1Z1 and I think I might download this tonight. It's cheaper and for early access looks to be in better shape. Not to mention it has base building, drivable cars and crafting. That excites me.