Dead State - The Zombie Survival RPG

Whiskey Tango

Avenger
Reaction score
I am surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

I'm not going to go into a long-winded spiel explaining what this is. It's a turn-based, sandboxy zombie apocalypse rpg with an emphasis on gathering fellow survivors and maintaining a safehouse. Think XCOM with zeds. Here's a quick combat/scavenging video to give you an idea.

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse - a deadly illness is rampaging through the world, turning those infected into the walking dead. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize a scant handful of allies, working on fortifying a shelter, scouting for food and supplies, making uncertain alliances with others, and attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.
Features

Strategic turn-based gameplay: combines single-player character control with streamlined ally AI management, allowing for innovative party control

Lush graphics: expansive maps and detailed character models brought to life through the power of Torque 3D

Unique perspective: Combination of classic isometric perspective and field of view based on character line-of-sight allows for a tense and exciting game experience

Open-ended gameplay: Large explorable world and non-linear storyline allow players to explore the landscape of Dead State freely, and encounter new challenges each time they play

Engaging story and characters: Story and characters written by veteran game developer Brian Mitsoda (Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines) - features realistic and compelling dialogue and expertly-woven story elements

Compelling player choice: Players not judged by a linear morality scale, but asked to make difficult and challenging decisions to keep themselves and their fellow survivors alive

Complex and reactive character AI: Allies react realistically in combat situations, human enemies employ variable tactics against other character, zombies follow frightening mobbing behavior

Innovative mechanics: Noise mechanic affects how zombies track prey by sound, resource management within player shelter allows for streamlined upgrades and organization of ally tasks

Currently being developed for PCs - Estimated Release Date: March 2014

Core Gameplay features

-A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.

-Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships drastically.

-Turn-based combat where line-of-sight and noise affect whether you are spotted or not, making for extremely tense encounters.

-Base-building mechanics featuring multiple upgrades, NPC jobs, and item manufacturing.

-Scavenging mechanics that require players to find supplies, weapons, armor, and other items to keep their allies fed and alive.

-A morale system that factors in player success/failure, allies’ faith in the player, and the overall strength of the shelter.

-Crisis Event dialogues that factor in political maneuvering and making difficult choices that affect your whole shelter.

-Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.

More info-

Dead State Kickstarter page

Steam Greenlight page

Dead State official site

Dead State FAQ

Screenshots and gameplay vids (Youtube channel)

Official Forums

FAQ Supplement (Dev Q&A compiled from forums)

Dead State Wiki

Facebook

Twitter

Last edited:
I am surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

I'm not going to go into a long-winded spiel explaining what this is. It's a turn-based, sandboxy zombie apocalypse rpg with an emphasis on gathering fellow survivors and maintaining a safehouse. Think XCOM with zeds. Here's a quick combat/scavenging video to give you an idea.

[/SPOILER]

More info-

Dead State Kickstarter page

Steam Greenlight page

Dead State official site

Dead State FAQ

Screenshots and gameplay vids (Youtube channel)

Official Forums

FAQ Supplement (Dev Q&A compiled from forums)

Dead State Wiki

Facebook

Twitter

okay I'm confused is it a RPG or not you say is a RPG in the Title but you say Think XCOM with zeds :huh: XCOM is not a RPG that a Strategy game

I didn't name the thing. The XCOM similarity exists mostly in the combat system (turn based isometric) and base management although one could make the case that XCOM not only possesses rpg-style mechanics such as leveling up unique characters via distributing attribute/skill points, but also encourages the player to identify with those characters. By my definition that's an rpg, or at least a strategy/rpg hybrid.

Anyway I'm not interested in arguing over the terminology. That's not what I started this thread for. I provided a bunch of links, you should check out the game and decide for yourself. If comparing it to XCOM bugs you then email the devs. If calling XCOM a strategy/rpg hybrid bugs you then drop a note into the suggestion box and my staff will put together a press conference so that I can publicly apologize to the world for the horrors I have unwittingly unleashed.

Last edited:
PC Gamer interview with the lead from June 2012. It's old but I'm just now reading up on the game myself and trying to keep the thread bumped a bit to attract more people.

Also this probably should have gone in the PC section, that's my mistake. The devs said they will look into other platforms after the PC release but that's a ways off and in no way a sure thing. If a mod sees this they can move it if they wish.

Ok I'll keep an eye out on this one then.

Sounds like it will be interesting. I LOVE X-com. And i'm actually playing state of decay right now.

okay I'm confused is it a RPG or not you say is a RPG in the Title but you say Think XCOM with zeds :huh: XCOM is not a RPG that a Strategy game

XCOM absolutely has RPG elements.

Sounds similiar to the game State of decay...zombie apocalypse game, but with heavy emphasis on resources gathering,explorations and community building rather than zombies duck hunt like most of the other zombie games...

I freakin'love State of decay so i'll be checking this one out.

Too bad about the turn based thing though...that's one of the RPG elements i'm not too fond of.

And another interesting looking Zombie game. Stop slacking Capcom.

Sounds similiar to the game State of decay...zombie apocalypse game, but with heavy emphasis on resources gathering,explorations and community building rather than zombies duck hunt like most of the other zombie games...

I freakin'love State of decay so i'll be checking this one out.

Too bad about the turn based thing though...that's one of the RPG elements i'm not too fond of.

I cant stand it. The ONLY series iv ever tolerated it in was Knights of the Old Republic. Turn based combat means automatic pass for me. Looking at the videos for this game though, it wouldn't of mattered. It doesnt look all that good and iv already got State of Decay.

I'd have agreed with both of you about turn-based combat, until I played XCOM. I think mostly it just never occurred to me how a game could be challenging when you've got plenty of time to consider your next move -of course I never considered chess, or other turn-based board game. You may have your own reasons for disliking, and I'll be the first to admit I never really any experience with the genre before XCOM, but I was happy to have my presumption quashed. Turn-based might not always be ideal, but it can be a lot of fun.

I enjoy turn-based strat a lot and feel like it's been under served for awhile although it seems to be making a small comeback lately. XCOM was awesome and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've always found RTS difficult to manage and generally aggravating and unfun.

I dont always enjoy turn based games. But i have played some really enjoyable ones. There was a turn based lord of the rings game that i really liked. And X-COM is one of my favorite games ever. Plus the KOTOR games

I enjoy turn-based strat a lot and feel like it's been under served for awhile although it seems to be making a small comeback lately. XCOM was awesome and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time.

I've always found RTS difficult to manage and generally aggravating and unfun.
It depends in how it implemented and executed that's all it means. and I'm sure the people making dead stated did this for this ip to have it's own identity, cause you know others will dump on it if it were like stated of decay just so they can write it off, by having be third person. That being said lets see how this plays out.

Last edited:
I cant stand it. The ONLY series iv ever tolerated it in was Knights of the Old Republic. Turn based combat means automatic pass for me. Looking at the videos for this game though, it wouldn't of mattered. It doesnt look all that good and iv already got State of Decay.

Yup. Pretty much like what you said here. I'm not saying that it can't be fun as obviously lotsa gamers actually preffered that system, but it's just not my cup of tea...just like FPS games. Those two things means automatic pass for me, no matter how good the game may look...but hey, to each his own!

And you've already got State of Decay...that's all the zombie Apocalypse game you'll need:cwink:

well this was put up from pc gamer

Dead State alpha review

2Comments

at 18:44 on 24 February 2014
Davis is becoming a problem. The sandy-haired survivor has been whining at me to finish building the chain-link fence around our stronghold, an abandoned elementary school. To me, the fence is old-hat, low priority. “Relax,” I think, “The fence can wait for another day. The four of us are about to finish rebuilding the old well out back, and then we can ride out this whole zombie apocalypse business with fresh, clean water on tap.”

• Dead State

PAX Prime 2014: Trailer

Lead a group of survivors over the months after society's collapse and deal with the persistent threat of other humans in Dead State.
    Views: 742 | Posted: 08/28/2014
source: GT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"