DC Animated films in development

I'd love to see a Dark KNight Returns and Killing Joke Animated series. I didn't like the ending to Killing Joke though, he's just laughing at the end,that's it.

Oh wow New Frontier, that rocks. Doomsday sounds great too. I just hope they are well made and not campy crap like Brainiac Attacks, but I think that was just a quick dvd movie to get in on the hype of SR.

Morgoth said:
Oh wow New Frontier, that rocks. Doomsday sounds great too. I just hope they are well made and not campy crap like Brainiac Attacks, but I think that was just a quick dvd movie to get in on the hype of SR.
^We should be okay from that...
WB and DC Comics Making Animated DVD Titles Source: Warner Home Video said:
...a series of original, animated PG-13 movies....

:down Does DC have to copy EVERYTHING Marvel does?

First they clutter up the box office with a bunch of sub-par, under-preforming movies like Catwoman, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns, during Marvel's box office reign, NOW they have to bombard the dvd shelves with MORE crap?

And please dont accuse me of trolling. Just look at Box Office Mojo, and see for yourselfs.

You are trolling, if anything Marvel's cluttered the marketplace with subpar garbage. X-Men 3, that was a winner, Elektra? never even deserved a movie to being with. Daredevil bombed - though I liked parts of it. Batman Begins has taken comic adaptations to a new level, Returns less so, V for Vendetta was amazing, and no one needs talk about Catwoman. Now we have Marvel putting out ghostrider...uh...I don't think there was a strong outcry for this, it can't even maintain a monthly comic - doubt the movie will do much better. So Marvel is just as guilty, if not moreso than DC of "cluttering" up the marketplace. I don;t understand fans allegience to one company or another it's juvenile - I'm a fan of quality, I don't care whereit comes from and I certainly hope DC doesn't butcher the material the way Marvel has with 'Ultimate Avengers' somewhere Mark Millar weeps.

SpiderScream said:

First they clutter up the box office with a bunch of sub-par, under-preforming movies like Catwoman, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns, during Marvel's box office reign, NOW they have to bombard the dvd shelves with MORE crap?

And please dont accuse me of trolling. Just look at Box Office Mojo, and see for yourselfs.

1. You are trolling with your DC sucks attitude.

2. DC also has good movies (Superman the Movie, Superman II, Superman Returns, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman/Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, the Batman vs. Dracula, Constantine, A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, and V for Vendetta). These animated films will only make DC's film library look better. Marvel also has really good films (Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, X-2: X-Men United, Daredevil; Director's Cut, the Theatrical Cut was rather sub-par; Hulk, Fantastic Four; not great, but it was a fun movie; Blade, Blade II, and the Punisher)

3. DC had films before Marvel with 1966's Batman the Movie. Marvel's first film was in 1986 of the extremely crappy Howard the Duck. TV movies and serials don't count in which case DC had done that first too with the 1941 Batman serials and 1951's Superman and the Mole Men.

4. Box office take-ins do not equal quality. If that were the case, then Fantastic Four and X-Men: The Last Stand would have been extremely kick ass films.

5. Yes, DC has made some really crappy movies (Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, Catwoman, Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Superman: Brainac Attacks, Supergirl, and Steel), but Marvel is also guilty too (1986's Howard the Duck, 1989's the Punisher, 1991's Captain America, 1994's Fantastic Four, 2005's Man-Thing. Blade: Trinity, X-Men: The Last Stand, and Elektra)

6. DC's cluttering the market, Marvel is far more guilty than DC in cluttering the superhero film genre.

DC has in production Batman 2/Batman Begins sequel, Batman 3/Batman Begins sequel, Superman 4/Superman Returns sequel, Superman 5/Superman Returns sequel, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, the Watchmen, and Y: The Last Man. Also include the direct-to-video movies Superman/Doomsday, Justice League: The New Frontier, Teen Titans: Tokyo, and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. There are also rumors for an Aquaman movie. These are pretty much movies that are in demand.

Marvel has in production Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, and Luke Cage with Sony, Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer, Silver Surfer, Wolverine, and Magneto with Fox, Namor the Sub-Mariner with Universal, Deathlok with Paramount, Punisher 2 with Lions Gate, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Shang-Chi, Cloak and Dagger, the Avengers, and the Power Pack with it's own studio. Also include the direct-to-video movies: Ultimate Avengers 2, Iron Man, and Dr. Strange, there are also rumors that a Hulk animated DTV will be made too. Now that Lion's Gate isn't making Iron Fist or Black Widow anymore, expect Marvel to pick up on those too. Now, is there really any demand for a Cloak and Dagger or Power Pack movie? I think not.

7. Batman Begins and Superman Returns underperforming and sub-par?

Batman Beigns had a box office intake of $371 million and was a huge success on DVD. Superman Returns has a box office intake of over $295 million and will reach $300 million very soon. A box office intake of that size is not a failure. That means that it is a success. You also have to take into consideration that these both of these films had the responsibility of resurecting dead film franchises and had rather stiff competition, Batman Begins in particular with resurecting the dead film franchise after the abominations known as Batman & Robin and Catwoman and Superman Returns dealing with stiff competition in particular having to deal with Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest.

Batman Begins has a 83% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Superman Returns has a 76% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Meaning that these films have gotten good reviews. The average public considers Batman Begins to be extremely kick-ass. While the reaction to Superman Returns is a bit mixed, the majority of the public likes that movie too.

Batman Begins and Superman Returns are two of the best comic book movies out there along with Superman the Movie, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and X-2: X-Men United.

Lets not even talk about Catwoman :o

hippie_hunter said:
1. You are trolling with your DC sucks attitude.

2. DC also has good movies (Superman the Movie, Superman II, Superman Returns, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman/Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Constantine, A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, and V for Vendetta). These animated films will only make DC's film library look better. Marvel also has really good films (Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, X-2: X-Men United, Daredevil; Director's Cut, the Theatrical Cut was rather sub-par; Hulk, Fantastic Four; not great, but it was a fun movie; Blade, Blade II, and the Punisher)

3. DC had films before Marvel with 1966's Batman the Movie. Marvel's first film was in 1986 of the extremely crappy Howard the Duck. TV movies and serials don't count in which case DC had done that first too with the 1941 Batman serials and 1951's Superman and the Mole Men.

4. Box office take-ins do not equal quality. If that were the case, then Fantastic Four and X-Men: The Last Stand would have been extremely kick ass films.

5. Yes, DC has made some really crappy movies (Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, Catwoman, Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Superman: Brainac Attacks, Supergirl, and Steel), but Marvel is also guilty too (1986's Howard the Duck, 1989's the Punisher, 1991's Captain America, 1994's Fantastic Four, 2005's Man-Thing. Blade: Trinity, X-Men: The Last Stand, and Elektra)

6. DC's cluttering the market, Marvel is far more guilty than%
Well done. :up:

Oh, and SpiderCream aren't your ML toys waiting for you to be played with? :p :o

Hippie Hunter said:
Batman Begins has a 83% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Superman Returns has a 76% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes. This means that the average public does not consider these films to be sub-par!

You gave a very good rebuttal in your last post, but I have to object to your implication that Rotten Tomatoes and their rating system trully represents the tastes of the average moviegoing public. All their polling system does is report what the agregate of reviewers who post on the Internet think about the movies they watch without regard for weather or not they fall in the demographic of the target market (I don't even know if they can verify if the reviewers actually watched any of the films or not). If you really want a good staticstical feel of what the average movie goer thinks about a film, you will need to sample actual movie goers that are in the demographic that is targeted for a paticular film (i.e. you don't get a guy's opinion on a chick-flick). Case in point, the film X-Men: The Last Stand got a 57% consensus on their poll but yet outgrossed its other two predecessors. So much for their credibility. Also you should know better than to believe anything that comes from the makers of Fox News anyway.

dnno1 said:
You gave a very good rebuttal in your last post, but I have to object to your implication that Rotten Tomatoes and their rating system trully represents the tastes of the average moviegoing public. All their polling system does is report what the agregate of reviewers who post on the Internet think about the movies they watch without regard for weather or not they fall in the demographic of the target market (I don't even know if they can verify if the reviewers actually watched any of the films or not). If you really want a good staticstical feel of what the average movie goer thinks about a film, you will need to sample actual movie goers that are in the demographic that is targeted for a paticular film (i.e. you don't get a guy's opinion on a chick-flick). Case in point, the film X-Men: The Last Stand got a 57% consensus on their poll but yet outgrossed its other two predecessors. So much for their credibility. Also you should know better than to believe anything that comes from the makers of Fox News anyway.

Wait a minute, News Corp owns Rotten Tomatoes. Anyways, I should have worded that part a bit better. The average public has considered them to be rather good films though. Especially Batman Begins.

SpiderScream said:

Oh please. You know DC's superheroes fit better in animation, what with those flashy costumes and quirky villains. Have them animated because JLU proved it works!

hippie_hunter said:
Wait a minute, News Corp owns Rotten Tomatoes? Anyways, I should have worded that part a bit better. The average public has considered them to be rather good films though. Especially Batman Begins.

Yep, and MySpace too (I call it the Pied Piper).

IF WB seriously considers doing Kingdom Come... Adam West as Batman and Linda Carter as Wonder woman. Now only if Reeve was still with us :(

The audience would be lost in the story. Too many characters, like with X-Men 3.

SpiderScream said:

It's true that the live action DC films of late haven't lived up to the live action Marvel films (though Batman Begins is right there with the X films in terms of Box office gross and better than most any Marvel film other than the Spider-Man movies), the DC animated works have totally outclassed the Marvel animated works. Sure the recent Braniac movie wasn't so hot, but B-TAS, S-TAS, Justice League and JLU are so much better than any Marvel animated work that it's not even worth arguing. The recent "Ulitmate Avengers" direct to DVD movies have been awful: bad animation and bad writing, and made all the worse since the source material on which it was based was so good.

Superman : Doomsday
Teen Titans: Judas contract
JL: New Frontier
---

They are all based on AMAZING COMICS :up:

Some news on the animated projects.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 5, 2006

WIZARD WORLD CHICAGO: DC UNIVERSE PANEL

ROSEMONT, Ill. -- One common force in the slate of direct-to-DVD animated movies recently announced by DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation is Bruce Timm, who is working with Duane Capizzi on Superman: Doomsday and also serving as supervising producer on Justice League: New Frontier and New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract.

However, fans of the DC Animated Universe that Timm was so instrumental in creating shouldn't expect any DCAU adventures in the near future.

At DC Comics' panel at Wizard World Chicago on Sunday, publisher Paul Levitz said he wouldn't count anything out, but that even Timm has had "a been-there done-that" attitude about the DCAU and was looking forward to stretching his abilities.

"He has a tremendous versatility as an artist," Levitz said, recalling the Avengers #1/2 comic Timm drew. "He wants to play with some of the other apporaches in his career."

The concept for the series is to adapt classic comics stories, using the original creators -- i.e. Darwyn Cook on New Frontier and Marv Wolfman on New Teen Titans -- when possible.

Levitz said the program is "created for the tastes and brains for those over age 8" and he liked to call it "two-generational."

Asked about adapting Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, Levitz said it was possible, but that Miller will be pretty busy with the Sin City movie and directing The Spirit after that.
Source: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/05/dcupanel.htm

I would love to see "The Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" animated films.

Also just for curiosity I'd like a "Tim Burton's Batman 3" animated version. That could be interesting. People have always been wondering what it would of been like. Bring back Keaton as the voice and Danny Elfman's theme and your set.

Darth Nata said:
I'd like a "Tim Burton's Batman 3" animated version. That could be interesting. People have always been wondering what it would of been like. Bring back Keaton as the voice and Danny Elfman's theme and your set.
Now that would be interesting!

Batman- Hush

The Flash- Rogue War

great news, but I hope they're not all in the Timm style.

Punch said:
great news, but I hope they're not all in the Timm style.

They won't be. New Frontier will be done in Cooke's style and The Judas Contract will be done in Perez's style.

hippie_hunter said:
They won't be. New Frontier will be done in Cooke's style and The Judas Contract will be done in Perez's style.

that's awesome:up:
Surprised this idea took so long

If Kingdom Come becomes a classy animated feature, I'll shout. I wish there was way to get it done in almost the same style as the actual book in terms of art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"