DC What was the Rush???

Eh Im not so sure. Making a sequel to a very a movie with a mixed reception is already a risky endeavour. Diminishing returns and all that. I mean even sequels to well liked movies can gross less than the original.
And I don't really see that much evidence that the large movie going public was craving MoS 2.
I'm not saying they couldn't recover from MoS, but I think it's better to put your best foot forward rather than trying to recover from a stumble.
Obviously that would be the way to go, start out strong. But consider the reception for F&F franchise for the first 3 or 4 films..... downright horrible, and it wasn't until Fast 5 that the films turned a corner and look where they are now. It can be done and should have been done by WB taking the tried and true approach. Obviously the MoS reception hurt the cinematic universe out of the chute, but recovery is just a matter of finding the director and voice for the franchise and mapping things out appropriately.

Obviously that would be the way to go, start out strong. But consider the reception for F&F franchise for the first 3 or 4 films..... downright horrible, and it wasn't until Fast 5 that the films turned a corner and look where they are now. It can be done and should have been done by WB taking the tried and true approach. Obviously the MoS reception hurt the cinematic universe out of the chute, but recovery is just a matter of finding the director and voice for the franchise and mapping things out appropriately.
The first 3-4 FF films weren't received horribly by audiences. Audiences loved them. That's why they kept making them. Critically you're right, but that's not what matters.
Very true that Fast 5 took them into the stratosphere but all of them were relatively successful except maybe Tokyo Drift. You can very much evolve a series like Fast & Furious or even Mission Impossible into juggernauts but I don't think a character like Superman has had that luxury. Superman is a much more expensive character to bring to the screen and he already has a mixed public reception (unfairly imo).

Sure MoS2 could've realigned things but I don't think it would've a surefire win commercially unless they end up making a TDK level movie and that's way easier said than done. Superman has a lot of baggage and making a direct sequel to a incarnation of the character with a lot of baggage just doesn't seem like that good of an idea to me.

I think what they should've done is do similar to what was done with Hulk. Have Superman appear in some team up/cross over movie and get the audience to go ga-ga over the new portrayal and then try to make another movie.

Let's say MoS did what it did and they wanted to push on. Aquaman, Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman still could've gotten solo movies and then you make JL where you "fix" the DCEU portryal of Superman. That's less risky and possibly could be just as effective. I mean you could do the make the sequel cheaper option, but I just don't think Superman is a character you want to go cheap on and even making a cheap Superman movie would be pretty expensive
I just didn't see the large demand from the general audience to see Man of Steel 2. Batman Begins didn't do great at the box office, but there was still a HUGE demand for a sequel eventually due to merch, home video, and just word of mouth. I don't see that for MoS2, so to me a better idea would be going the Hulk/Avengers method except you know...actually capitalize on the character's reception in the team up

EDIT: I'm trying to think of or find a movie series where the first film got mixed reception and then the 2nd movie came out, was received better, and was a huge success. I'm sure there's an example out there, but I'm drawing a blank

Last edited:
The problem came about due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what the Justice League is. The folks at Warner Brothers treated JL like it was the Guardians, X-Men or Suicide Squad, ie a standard superhero team up. The Justice League, even more than the Avengers, is an All Star team. The team needs stars to work, and the studio's lazy set up didn't allow for it.
Nah, the fundamental problem is bigoted fans that complain the movie wasn't put together the way they wanted and judge it for what it isn't and not for what it is.

EDIT: I'm trying to think of or find a movie series where the first film got mixed reception and then the 2nd movie came out, was received better, and was a huge success. I'm sure there's an example out there, but I'm drawing a blank

Star Trek?

Star Trek?
Yeah that's true but that Khan was made for cheaper than The Motion Picture. And Star Trek TMP grossed more than Khan.
Obviously Khan was received better though

EDIT: Actually damn for how TMP was received, it still grossed the most WW out of all of the original Star Trek movies. And domestically it performed 2nd best.

Last edited:
The first 3-4 FF films weren't received horribly by audiences. Audiences loved them. That's why they kept making them. Critically you're right, but that's not what matters.
Very true that Fast 5 took them into the stratosphere but all of them were relatively successful except maybe Tokyo Drift. You can very much evolve a series like Fast & Furious or even Mission Impossible into juggernauts but I don't think a character like Superman has had that luxury. Superman is a much more expensive character to bring to the screen and he already has a mixed public reception (unfairly imo).

Sure MoS2 could've realigned things but I don't think it would've a surefire win commercially unless they end up making a TDK level movie and that's way easier said than done. Superman has a lot of baggage and making a direct sequel to a incarnation of the character with a lot of baggage just doesn't seem like that good of an idea to me.

I think what they should've done is do similar to what was done with Hulk. Have Superman appear in some team up/cross over movie and get the audience to go ga-ga over the new portrayal and then try to make another movie.

Let's say MoS did what it did and they wanted to push on. Aquaman, Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman still could've gotten solo movies and then you make JL where you "fix" the DCEU portryal of Superman. That's less risky and possibly could be just as effective. I mean you could do the make the sequel cheaper option, but I just don't think Superman is a character you want to go cheap on and even making a cheap Superman movie would be pretty expensive
I just didn't see the large demand from the general audience to see Man of Steel 2. Batman Begins didn't do great at the box office, but there was still a HUGE demand for a sequel eventually due to merch, home video, and just word of mouth. I don't see that for MoS2, so to me a better idea would be going the Hulk/Avengers method except you know...actually capitalize on the character's reception in the team up

Probably not a lot of those around. As a horror fan Ouija:OoE comes to mind, but it wasn't successful in the BO. I think it would take a special series like a superhero film to pull it off. MoS2 might have done less in terms of BO than MoS, however I believe if they course corrected the franchise with a better story, then you are setting up the rest of the universe for success.

In my mind, MoS2 would've been the 3rd or 4th film in the franchise, following a Batman noir film and the Flash as the second and third. This was you can "re-introduce" Superman in a cameo that places a much more positive spin on the character and thus set him up for a hopefully better reception for his next solo gig. What they did, tagging Superman into a pseudo-team up film where Batman is ostensibly the villain for most of the movie, then killing Superman, was backwards as can be.

Nah, the fundamental problem is bigoted fans that complain the movie wasn't put together the way they wanted and judge it for what it isn't and not for what it is.

Ah, the "blame the fan" response. It's always absolutely ridiculous.

We're in a time of peak superhero. There's absolutely no reason for fans to accept garbage when there are so many great options, including Oscar winners in Spider Verse and Black Panther and a frikkin billion dollar Aquaman film.

The stupid fans had nothing to do with the DCEU's prior failings. That's on Snyder and his enablers.

I'm trying to think of or find a movie series where the first film got mixed reception and then the 2nd movie came out, was received better, and was a huge success. I'm sure there's an example out there, but I'm drawing a blank
What about Terminator 2, or Aliens? Weren’t they received better than their original instalments?

But The Terminator and Alien are still hailed as bona-fide classics

But The Terminator and Alien are still hailed as bona-fide classics
As a sci-fi fan, im ashamed to admit that I just saw The Terminator for the first time a week ago, and wasn’t majorly impressed. I’ve seen T2 a million times though.

My Thing with DC is that they Rushed everything.
The Death of Superman should have been it's own Motion picture...

One of the biggest events in Comic book history squeezed into 10 minutes of film time BVS?

You make that a feature like the Comics and use that as a huge motion picture to introduce all your Characters out against Doomsday(Thanos)...Superman doesnt Die in BVS but in Superman 3.

Sort of like "Avengers Endgame"...If their goal is to catch up to Marvel...Just Backwards Superman

But before that or after that you push out

Teen Titans with Cybor in that..NOT JL
The Sequel Titans
Doom Patrol
Booster Gold
Shazam
All Your B hitters

You give the public a Tease With your Justice League playing in the Background observing like in the "Young Justice Series"

Heck make a Young Justice after Teen Titans
Then they become the Younger Squad under Titans..

Then you bring out your heavy Hitters for the Clean Sweep.
Sorry to me it was and still is all a mess...

And whether you liked Affleck or not(To me the Warehouse scene felt like the first time I actually saw THE TRUE BATMAN on Screen I could easily do 2 plus hours of that with Affleck)losing him hurts the Boat stay afloat bcse the one DC is hurting from...Besides Continuity..is

Stability.

Am I right about it????...Geez!!!
Hmarrs, man. I gotta hunt you down now?? sent you several private notes.

Because The Avengers happened and WB shareholders wanted an answer to it.
And they found the wrong answer unfortunately. Taking their time would have given a good chance of getting the correct answer and on having a universe exploding as much as Marvel's.

Honestly, I think the MCU began in 2005 after Marvel Studios decided to do Iron Man after years of discussion.

Superman talks for MOS began in 2008 way before the success of Avengers.

I do think that once they saw how well Avengers did, that there were already moving forward with MOS a year later and the slightly lower box office gross, that's when they decided to go with the DCEU and add Batman.

They rushed because they took too long to start.
The moment they knew of Marvel doing a cinematic universe, they should had begun to make their own too, instead they launched the first movie 6 years after the mcu started and 2 years after the first supergoup movie was made... Too late.
I love MoS and BvS but BvS did felt like too much, too soon, they did rushed, but i strongly believe that they had to just release JL and SS director cuts, the whole filmography and within movies story feels like a mess because of releasing two butchered movies that are out of place with what came before.
They tried. Green Lantern was supposed to be the start of their cinematic universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"