Disagreeing With The Critics On Man Of Steel

Tody

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone :woot: I'm not the most knowledgeable person on Superman, as Batman is my favourite character. I've never really resonated with the character before.

However, I found Man of Steel to be a really great movie, and collected my thoughts in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4R26dbheXw

I'm posting it here because I was very interested to hear from the perspective of real and die-hard Superman fans, as my knowledge is mostly here and there.

What did you think of the movie? Do you find yourself, like me, disagreeing with the critics' harsh assessment of it?

I'm very eager to know. Thanks!:yay:

I love this movie and IMO the best CBM ever...

I totally disagree with the critics. The things they were so harsh about just didn't bother me at all.

I thought this movie was great. I enjoyed your review. It is very refreshing to hear so many positives. :yay:

Nice review.
I understand the critics' complaints, and I agree about some of them. However, I also love this movie: it's definitely among my favourites in the genre!

Good review.

I think the criticisms of MOS are justified in the sense that as a origin movie it didn't paint a strong enough picture of Clark's journey from Clark to Kal-El to Superman. I think that's one thing the filmmakers didn't really understand as well as they thought. The 3 distinct personalities in Superman.

There's Kal-El, the orphaned Kryptonian who is trying to understand his alien past and make sense of his origins. There's Superman, the hero of Earth who is seen by the people of Earth as a savior and possibly a threat. And there's Clark Kent, mild mannered farm boy and reporter who wants to fit in with normal people but can't, because he has this sense of duty. I think they tried to address these personas, but it was lacking at times.

They should have spent more time with Pa Kent and Clark to be honest and lost a scene or two of destruction and the movie would have played better. Because honestly the guy most fans enjoy, identify with, and want to love and get to know better is Clark Kent, and we barely got to see him.

I'd have to agree with your review. I too thought a few small parts of the movie could have been better, maybe a little longer here, or a little shorter here, a little different here, but overall it was fantastic

The biggest point you make that I agree with is that Man of Steel has more substance then your average comic book film. Iron Man 3 tried to add substance by giving Tony Stark PTSD, but it was really a poor effort. Man of Steel's study of an alien growing up on Earth really gives the film an extra layer and makes it more then just entertainment.

As for dying for a pet Johnathon Kent thought he had enough time to get the dog and get back, but he got stuck and hurt. It really wasnt a suicide mission

Better pacing would have helped this movie a lot. Lots to learn for MOS 2.

Better pacing would have helped this movie a lot. Lots to learn for MOS 2.

God you're such a troll, you didn't like it we get it!

Great video review Tody. You brought up all the major positives of the film, and addressed the critical reception in a great way too. I agree with most of your points except I went in loving Superman. Especially agree that there are some legit critiques of the film (and things I would change) but they aren't major issues. Not things to bring down the rating much.

Proves that both non-Superman fans and Superman fans alike can agree how awesome this movie is.

BTW... I love your review... Your review was spot on how I felt about the movie... and damn right DBZ should be made like Superman in the Zod vs Superman sequence.

Too bad we never got Roger Ebert's review. Wonder what he would have thought.

Too bad we never got Roger Ebert's review. Wonder what he would have thought.

Lol. Why? If he said it was poor most here will call him names and discredit him as a critic.

And if he liked it, everyone will say "well Ebert liked it and he's the greatest ever".

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, really appreciate it! =) Was a bit nervy seeing as how I'm not as knowledgeable about the character, so I was hoping I didn't sound uninformed to my fellow geeks :p I know how I get with Batman!

@writer0327
I really agree. I think I said as well, that I wanted more time with his father and him growing up learning important lessons. Some of my favourite moments in the movie involved his past, and dialogue with his father and the trials he faced.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the movie's structure, with the first hour or so being about the backstory and characters, and the rest being the epic action we waited for, but I do agree with you that I would have liked more focus on Clark at times. The moments that were there, really nailed some great themes and points home.

@bluearth
I understand completely, he did get injured. I was just making a joke out of going back for the pet really, not a serious criticism :) Perhaps I'm too used to ultra heroic moments like dying to save a child or whatnot :p I do admit freely that he displayed great character by going to help everyone else, and when he stopped Clark from saving him, wow, that hit right in the feels :D

@113
Thank you! I really appreciate that. And I'm very happy to hear from a Superman lover, because 100%, as you said, it shows that both longtime fans and non-fans/newcomers can really, really enjoy and love the movie.

If I have to be honest, it definitely does rank up there for me with regards to comic book super hero movies! And that's very impressive to me, considering of course I wasn't a Superman fan going in. Of course, as a Batfreak, the trilogy will always win, but MOS was really epic enough to earn a tops place for me.

In fact, Man of Steel actually got me interested in the character, and I plan to pick up some of the great comics, and one shots, to read more. I've always wanted to read the Death of Superman arc as well, with Darkseid.

@crimsontide and @bluearth
What I didn't like about the critics' assessment was that they seem to be in love with the popcorn entertainment formula that is general among many Marvel Movies, yet were unforgiving with Man of Steel, despite it holding more substance as you said and presenting some of the most entertaining, wowing and awesome action sequences I've seen in a comic book movie.

Honestly, it hasn't been demonstrated more believably than in MoS, where you really, really feel that demigods are fighting it out and destroying Earth. The destruction really is catastrophic, and the way they fight is like Titans colliding. The scale is epic.

To be honest, I really loved Avengers and Iron Man 1 and enjoyed Thor, but watching Thor, IM2 and IM3 and Avengers felt like watching variations of the same movie, with Avengers probably being the best.

Thanks for all your comments guys, I really appreciate it and I'm enjoying seeing how die-hard fans also love the movie, and it's not just because I'm a newbie and unfamiliar with the character =)

Last edited:
I honestly haven't even read any critic's reviews. Are they any particularly intelligent/good reviews I should check out?

I honestly haven't even read any critic's reviews. Are they any particularly intelligent/good reviews I should check out?

Heres a good one

http://****************.com/movies/man-steel-review/

Heres a good one

http://****************.com/movies/man-steel-review/

>critic
>didn't compare to Donner films
>gave MOS a good review
>likes Snyder's direction
>commends Goyer's writing

mrw
2yllfzo.gif

Good review.

I think the criticisms of MOS are justified in the sense that as a origin movie it didn't paint a strong enough picture of Clark's journey from Clark to Kal-El to Superman. I think that's one thing the filmmakers didn't really understand as well as they thought. The 3 distinct personalities in Superman.

There's Kal-El, the orphaned Kryptonian who is trying to understand his alien past and make sense of his origins. There's Superman, the hero of Earth who is seen by the people of Earth as a savior and possibly a threat. And there's Clark Kent, mild mannered farm boy and reporter who wants to fit in with normal people but can't, because he has this sense of duty. I think they tried to address these personas, but it was lacking at times.

They should have spent more time with Pa Kent and Clark to be honest and lost a scene or two of destruction and the movie would have played better. Because honestly the guy most fans enjoy, identify with, and want to love and get to know better is Clark Kent, and we barely got to see him.

I kinda see what your saying. But it seems you were looking for a familiar Clark. I thought I saw a Clark I never seen before. This wondering lost soul looking for answers. And we got to know Kal, Son of El a bit better.

Have we ever seen Superman embrace his mother? In MOS we did. Was Clark always a good kid? No he was a bit of a jerk to his dad. MOS showed me a new side too Superman. And what's great about the film is at the end a familiar face appears waiting for us in the sequel.

I really like where the film took me. Oh a finally, we see Superman really fight. I guess the film should have had some familiar nuggets for many of the audience to chew on. Even Nolans Batman said "IM BATMAN." I would have liked that to. But I'm glad they put alot of fresh stuff in the film.

@crimsontide and @bluearth
What I didn't like about the critics' assessment was that they seem to be in love with the popcorn entertainment formula that is general among many Marvel Movies, yet were unforgiving with Man of Steel, despite it holding more substance as you said and presenting some of the most entertaining, wowing and awesome action sequences I've seen in a comic book movie.

The Marvel influence is very much real. Top film reviewer Richard Roeper thinks Iron Man 3 was 'one of the best in the modern golden age of comic book films' but thought Man of Steel was a disappointing film.

Honestly, it hasn't been demonstrated more believably than in MoS, where you really, really feel that demigods are fighting it out and destroying Earth. The destruction really is catastrophic, and the way they fight is like Titans colliding. The scale is epic.

In all the reviews I've read none give the movie credit for this, even though it was a huge strong point of the film. I have a feeling most critics dont care about that though, they're more interested in comedy and romance

The Marvel influence is very much real. Top film reviewer Richard Roeper thinks Iron Man 3 was 'one of the best in the modern golden age of comic book films' but thought Man of Steel was a disappointing film.

In all the reviews I've read none give the movie credit for this, even though it was a huge strong point of the film. I have a feeling most critics dont care about that though, they're more interested in comedy and romance

Roeper actually said that? IM3 was a big letdown for me. Marvel has truly redefined the genre. But not for the better. The plot was so corny. The twist was clever and an epic fail at the same time. The ending had fire works. SMH.

Roeper actually said that? IM3 was a big letdown for me. Marvel has truly redefined the genre. But not for the better. The plot was so corny. The twist was clever and an epic fail at the same time. The ending had fire works. SMH.

Yeah he said it you can see it in the title of his review here

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/reviews/#type=top_critics

As for the twist, critics love it when comic book movies laugh at themselves.

Up until the twist I thought Iron Man 3 was good, and then it disintegrated.

Yeah he said it you can see it in the title of his review here

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/reviews/#type=top_critics

As for the twist, critics love it when comic book movies laugh at themselves.

Up until the twist I thought Iron Man 3 was good, and then it disintegrated.

Really? You liked IM3 other than the twist? That was your primary problem with it? Hell, I was already checked out of that movie well before the Mandarin twist. It didn't even make me angry/sad/upset because I didn't give two ****s about any character in that movie, or the plot.

I really hate that movie all the way around, the Mandarin twist is not even in the top-10 things wrong with that movie imho,

Really? You liked IM3 other than the twist? That was your primary problem with it? Hell, I was already checked out of that movie well before the Mandarin twist. It didn't even make me angry/sad/upset because I didn't give two ****s about any character in that movie, or the plot.

I really hate that movie all the way around, the Mandarin twist is not even in the top-10 things wrong with that movie imho,

I liked it up until the twist because I saw the movie building up to bigger things in the second half. Then it just collapsed and tried to start over to no avail

lol, you really hated Iron Man 3

I kinda see what your saying. But it seems you were looking for a familiar Clark. I thought I saw a Clark I never seen before. This wondering lost soul looking for answers. And we got to know Kal, Son of El a bit better.

Have we ever seen Superman embrace his mother? In MOS we did. Was Clark always a good kid? No he was a bit of a jerk to his dad. MOS showed me a new side too Superman. And what's great about the film is at the end a familiar face appears waiting for us in the sequel.

I really like where the film took me. Oh a finally, we see Superman really fight. I guess the film should have had some familiar nuggets for many of the audience to chew on. Even Nolans Batman said "IM BATMAN." I would have liked that to. But I'm glad they put alot of fresh stuff in the film.

I don't mind that this Clark wasn't familiar, that was actually what I was expecting based on the trailers. But a well-defined Clark, one who's motivation and intentions are clear would have been ideal. We don't know Clark Kent. We have an idea of who Kal-El is and I think Superman is okay, but we haven't truly seen the Clark yet.

And that's okay in a sense, but it didn't round this movie off for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"