Discussion: All Things Union

What makes you thin your stat is any more correct?

I am going to use that in every debate for forever. That is the best!

So if the unemployment rate is lower now than when he entered the office, there should be more full time workers than when he started correct?

Unemployment is at 7.7% last I checked.

And you think what that is 100% correct?

What makes you thin your stat is any more correct?

Until the start adding in teachers, and others that do not get unemployment checks, and when they start adding in the underemployed....when they ACTUALLY START COUNTING THE UNEMPLOYED CORRECTLY, then I might believe a statistic that this government puts out....until then, they are all hogwash...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/...rker-during-vw-plant-union-vote-in-tennessee/

U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee said on Wednesday he has been “assured” that if workers at the Volkswagen AG plant in his hometown of Chattanooga reject United Auto Worker representation, the company will reward the plant with a new product to build.

Corker’s bombshell, which runs counter to public statements by Volkswagen, was dropped on the first of a three-day secret ballot election of blue-collar workers at the Chattanooga plant whether to allow the UAW to represent them.

Corker has long been an opponent of the union which he says hurts economic and job growth in Tennessee, a charge that UAW officials say is untrue.
So basic thing that is happening is Voltswagon actually has no problem with it's workers unionizing, but Republican politicians in Tennessee are making a bunch of idol threats that all hell will break lose if they join a union

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...see-volkswagen-uaw-incentives-threat/5388341/

The crusade by anti-union forces in Tennessee, including the state's governor and senior senator, is as much a fight with Volkswagen management as with the UAW.

Not only are Republican legislators accusing Volkswagen of backing the UAW, some of their leaders on Monday threatened to withhold tax incentives for future expansion of the 3-year-old assembly plant in Chattanooga if workers vote this week to join the UAW.

About 1,500 workers will vote from Wednesday through Friday in an election that the National Labor Relations Board will conduct.

The company plans to expand in Chattanooga or at a Mexican plant to produce a midsize SUV. Overall, Volkswagen intends to invest about $7 billion in North America over the next five years to achieve a goal of selling more than 1 million Volkswagen and Audi vehicles in the U.S. by 2018.

"It has been widely reported that Volkswagen has promoted a campaign that has been unfair, unbalanced and, quite frankly, un-American in the traditions of American labor campaigns," State Sen. Bo Watson, R-Chattanooga, said in a statement sent to the Free Press. "Should the workers choose to be represented by the United Auto Workers, then I believe additional incentives for expansion will have a very tough time passing the Tennessee Senate."
This one is my favorite

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...ennessee-americans-for-tax-reform-103377.html

Norquist’s group isn’t holding back, though. It has rented 13 billboards throughout the city and has plastered them with messages tying the union to Detroit, job losses and Obama.

One billboard labels the union the “United Obama Workers” and says the UAW “spends millions to elect liberal politicians including BARACK OBAMA.”

Last edited:
I have worked in the private sector almost all of my working life (I now have a union job) and working at a bank was the worst job I ever had. Overworked and underpaid would be the best way to describe it. The wages were never livable and we were constantly working overtime with no pay (a couple of the bigger banks in the country were finally sued over this). So, I like unions in the sense that they even out the playing field between employers and employees. However, they soon take on a mind of their own and the pendulum swings to favour the employees heavily.

The worst work ethic I have ever seen from employees came from ones that were part of the union.

Republicans claim they are the party who wants to keep big Government out of the free market, I think what happened in Tennessee shows they Full of Crap

Their agenda is to destroy unions in the United States and keeping the UAW out of Tennessee was part of that agenda. They could care less if VW had more or less jobs in that state as long as there wasn't a union established there.

That's what happens when the UAW leadership goes to deep with the Democrats. Politics, plain and simple.

That's what happens when the UAW leadership goes to deep with the Democrats. Politics, plain and simple.

If it were the other way around, the Republican's might have some sentiment. Thing is that they would stand to lose some wealthy donors who hate unions.

As I said though something like that will now make me call bullcrap on any Republican claiming government should stay out of the free market(grant you I would have already called bullcrap before this but this is just another example of Republican "Big Government" although it's usually harder to find in the private sector the it is making laws when it comes to civil rights). What Corker did was just nasty, it's one thing to give an opinion that maybe the union isn't the best thing for TN but to make an outright lie a day before the vote just seems really low and a perfect example of "Big Government" shoving it's nose into business day to day operations

Last edited:
If it were the other way around, the Republican's might have some sentiment.
Well.....exactly. It's pretty much the exact same reason why Democrats hate groups such as Americans for Prosperity. It's not the fact that they have lots of money, it's because those groups are totally in bed with the Republicans and thus do everything they can to try to oppose them like some attempts to undo Citizens United.

Whenever any group, demographic, or organization gets far too in bed with one political party, the opposing party will do everything it can to try and mitigate it. It's why I think that Corporate America played it brilliantly. They don't play favorites between the Republicans and Democrats and support the both of them. It's why we don't see either of them go all out in opposition towards them and why they have a very favorable position in today's America.

Thing is that they would stand to lose some wealthy donors who hate unions.
When Volkswagon was perfectly fine with the workers joining the UAW, I don't think the GOP would have cared about the anti-union donors. This comes down to UAW leadership getting far too in bed with the Democrats. Republicans don't want a Democratic-alligned group getting influence in a relatively Republican leaning area.

Supreme Court Rules on Union Dues in Janus v Afscme

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-rules-on-union-dues-in-janus-v-afscme-today-2018-06-27/

The good news (really good news) is that public unions can no longer take money out of a public employee's wallet when he or she doesn't want to have anything to do with said union.

The next step, however, should be legislation that allows unions to not include in any collective bargaining employees who opt out of belonging to the union and/or paying those fees. As much as I'm against these forced fees or forced union memberships, I'm also against compelling unions to represent employees that aren't paying for union representation.

And, of course, if public employees unions don't want to lose members (and the money that comes with them), then they need to step up their game and show employees why they should pay to belong to them rather than using the force of government to make them join or take money from them anyway.

The next step, however, should be legislation that allows unions to not include in any collective bargaining employees who opt out of belonging to the union and/or paying those fees. As much as I'm against these forced fees or forced union memberships, I'm also against compelling unions to represent employees that aren't paying for union representation.

So when you have a place with 10,000 people and 2,000 opt out of the union, what exactly is that agency to do when negotiating a new contract with the employees? Do you believe they should negotiate with each of the 2000 people individually? Is it fair if the union gets a 1 dollar raise for it's members then the 2000 people who opt out get that raise automatically?

Good ruling today. No one should be forced to pay fees for an organization they don’t belong to or want to belong to.

Unions can negotiate deals with businesses to only provide benefits to members and not non members. It’s then up to the non member to step up or become a union member of their own free will.

Good ruling today. No one should be forced to pay fees for an organization they don’t belong to or want to belong to.

If you don't want to get a unionized job then don't apply at unionized places

Just about every job sector has a union these days.

So when you have a place with 10,000 people and 2,000 opt out of the union, what exactly is that agency to do when negotiating a new contract with the employees? Do you believe they should negotiate with each of the 2000 people individually? Is it fair if the union gets a 1 dollar raise for it's members then the 2000 people who opt out get that raise automatically?

1. (I assume by "agency" you mean the company and not the union.) The company can do what every company I've ever worked for does. I meet with my supervisor for an annual evaluation, a pay increase is recommended and approved, and I get it. Besides that, my contract for employment is at will. It always has been, and I'm fine with that.

2. Again, why not meet with the 2,000 individually? My company employs over 50,000 employees, none of whom are unionized. We manage to get it done. You act like it's some impossible task--it's not.

3. If the company wants to give non-union employees the same benefits as union employees, that's their business. Is it fair? No. But, let's look at it another way: Let's say the notoriously conservative and totally made up Society of Pro-Capitalist Employees (SPCE), an alternate and much smaller employee group within the public employees umbrella manages to successfully lobby for a federal minimum wage increase, which in turn is also automatically added to all public employee's salaries/wages. Can the SPCE then compel all federal employees to pay into their society? I mean, they took an action that benefitted employees that aren't part of their society. It's only fair . . .

Just because I do something that benefits you doesn't mean I should ever be able to compel you to pay me or join my group as a result.

I don't believe I should have to pay a fee to an organization I don't belong to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"