Discussion: Alternative Energy

You mean besides Three Mile Island?

Three Mile Island was contained though... it was really just a fire, when you get down to the basics of it, though the potential for considerable damage was quite obviously there... while Chernobyl was a full-fledged meltdown...

And which alternatives to oil do you have in mind?

Like Ed mentioned earlier, there have been plenty of different alternates created--such as electric, solar, and even hydrogen--the problem is that the people who make them are smaller and the oil business are much bigger...

Okay, so when do we declare war on ND and Montana?

:hehe:

That made my f**king day. :woot:

The idea that there arent any practical alternative vehicle fuels available now is nonsense.
Note the documentary:"Who killed the electric car" and all the steps the Government,Big Oil, and the auto industry did to kill it.Note the fact that the first Solar powered vehicle was invented in the 50's.Recently an engineer in Luxembourg produced an air powered car that runs on compressed air and gives off zero emissions,..

I think doing something Environmentally friendly is better than ruining the land. The oil crunch should just make people want alternatives more.

I think doing something Environmentally friendly is better than ruining the land. The oil crunch should just make people want alternatives more.

Yeah, people want alternative fuels. I want alternative fuels. We should be utilizing fuel cell technology, biodeisel, battery power and hybrid power as well. But until we have a source of alternative energy which is widely available to all Americans, we have to look for a temporary solution which alleviates those of us who rely on oil. Drilling in Montana and North Dakota isn't going to destroy the pristine beauty of these states... most of these places where there's oil are so remote it wouldn't affect all that many people, not to mention drilling is already taking place in these areas as well... essentially, drilling for oil in ND and MT would require an expansion of existing wells in already oil-rich areas...

For now, this may be a temporary solution while we explore and manufacture new sources of energy.

So, basically, you don't think people should live in the country, in homes owned by their families, in towns they want to live in? Everyone should move to the cities, where there are problems with overcrowding as it is? Where the cost of living is considerably higher on everything, not just gas but food and rent? Where housing is virtually unaffordable and the job market is more scarce?

You know that people have left the cities for the country because the cost of living is so expensive there, right?

People shouldn't be forced to move away from Nowheresville, MT if they don't want to. This country is based around the freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness-- and if people find that in rural Montana or Idaho or Nevada, then so be it.

We need to figure out a responsible solution. We need a new fuel or a new type of vehicle to solve our energy crisis.

No man, that is not what im saying. before cars people certainly lived in the country, in homes they owned... in towns, where affordable housing exists. people are beggining to find that the cost of things is getting so out of control at this point, and paying for gas is getting tougher on already stretched budgets (especially for rural americans) that many are finding they cannot exist already on the system that we have. we will nevr enjoy oil being as cheap as it used to be... the economy that existed on it is out of date. we need to adapt. if you refuse to be creative enough to see how americans can do this then that explains the problem.

What EdRyder says has merit, the EV1 that was showcased in the movie "who killed the electric car" is just an example of how great ideas are being squashed. Rural americans hooking a windmill, or a solar panel to their electric vehicle would gain the creative mobility you seem skeptical of.

And my man Slim, are you asking Loaded questions? why not drop in by fleshing out your opinion. yes i have a family. i have a little brother that i take care of alot to help my family, he is the closest thing i have to a son... but he is my little brother. I bought a bike trailer for him untill he got old enough to keep up with me on his own. granted we live in the a more suburban area... so many of my anecdotes refer to that situation, as it should... many people in the cities/suburbs should find ways to adapt to save money, stay in shape, and reduce fossil fuel ussage. Bikes and mass transit in the city are just common sense. theres a Model family one street over who i idolize a bit. husband and wife 3 kids and grandma lives with them. everyone bikes and uses mass transit. they have a small vehicle for road trips and certain other things. but they rarely use it. the grandmother is the one who fostered this lifestyle and shes in rediculous shape for her age... they have modest earnings, he works for the santiation department as a recycling truck driver and his wife is a teacher. they have a garden and a mini greenhouse. they utilize mass transit all the time, they take passenger rail to other cities when they can or they take a bus.

im not sure what your trying to lead me into slim but they certainly show how it can be done, and they are happier and healthier than most of there neighbors who are struggling to stay on this ladder of planned obselesense, buying new cars... many times more as a symbol of status than as a tool for the family.

Our habits need to change.

Alaska to Challenge Polar Bear Endangered Species Listing

Wednesday, May 21, 2008
service_ap_36.gif

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin says the state will sue to challenge the listing of polar bears as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act.
Palin on Wednesday said there is insufficient evidence to support the decision U.S. Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne made last week.
Kempthorne says the best available science indicates that the bears' primary habitat, sea ice, was shrinking and likely to further recede. Palin says polar bears are well managed and that their numbers have dramatically increased over 30 years.
Conservation groups say the increase is due to measures that halted over-hunting but that populations are likely to crash as summer sea ice diminishes.

SEA ICE HAS GOTTEN THICKER!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-X7TdC8Gvw

We have enough oil up there for a hundred years!! But Dems and some stupid GOP care more about the bears and owls than about their own people. Sea is getting thicker. We have ove 25000 polar bears right now!! Five times more than we had at the start!!

OPEC has has us by the throat and we won't make a move to break the relationship. I guarantee you that the minute we start drill in the gulf and pumping from our own wells, OPEC will miraculously open up the valves! Instead , we'd rather starve to death while having a cabinet full of food.

Coal to oil tech??? Do you realize that Coal reserves fo us is like oil is to the Arabs??? We got tons of coal!! And it could be converted to gas!! But noooooooooooo the environmental zealots would rather grandma freeze to death in the winter than make the owl uncorfortable.

Obama, McCain and Clinton show no signs of doing what is right in this scenario. What will it take for the idiots in Washington to wake up?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008
service_ap_36.gif

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin says the state will sue to challenge the listing of polar bears as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act.
Palin on Wednesday said there is insufficient evidence to support the decision U.S. Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne made last week.
Kempthorne says the best available science indicates that the bears' primary habitat, sea ice, was shrinking and likely to further recede. Palin says polar bears are well managed and that their numbers have dramatically increased over 30 years.
Conservation groups say the increase is due to measures that halted over-hunting but that populations are likely to crash as summer sea ice diminishes.

We have enough oil up there for a hundred years!! But Dems and some stupid GOP care more about the bears and owls than about their own people. Sea is getting thicker. We have ove 25000 polar bears right now!! Five times more than we had at the start!!

OPEC has has us by the throat and we won't make a move to break the relationship. I guarantee you that the minute we start drill in the gulf and pumping from our own wells, OPEC will miraculously open up the valves! Instead , we'd rather starve to death while having a cabinet full of food.

Coal to oil tech??? Do you realize that Coal reserves fo us is like oil is to the Arabs??? We got tons of coal!! And it could be converted to gas!! But noooooooooooo the environmental zealots would rather grandma freeze to death in the winter than make the owl uncorfortable.

Obama, McCain and Clinton show no signs of doing what is right in this scenario. What will it take for the idiots in Washington to wake up?
Okay, apparently I'm going to have to explain this to you like you're a five-year-old, because I've said this before to you and apparently it hasn't registered.

They're saying that sea-ice is getting thicker in the Southern Hemisphere. That's what the video you provided also says.

Guess where polar bears don't live? Oh, yeah....the ****ing SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE.

****, GTFO, and have a great day, Slim.

I hear there are other sources of energy than oil. I wonder why we can't use that? Oh yeah!

Oil Men.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

I hear there are other sources of energy than oil. I wonder why we can't use that? Oh yeah!

Oil Men.

:doom: :doom: :doom:
I don't know...for now, how commercially viable is it? The main problem with Hydrogen fuels, for example, is the production of the Hydrogen itself. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an amazing solution, but there's virtually no news on the progress of Hydrogen fuels. It's like the hype died off in favor of ethanol, which is a terrible alternative IMO.

We subsidize so much corn. I don't know. Might kill two birds with one stone.

:thing: :doom: :thing:
We don't have enough to keep up with food stocks AND supply ethanol fuel, though. It would mean an expansion of corn-growth, and it's a crop that severely depletes the soil. Crop-rotation would be an absolute necessity, and if not done correctly it can cause massive supply shortages.

That's not to mention the necessary expansion of the use of fertilizers, which are harmful to the environment as well. Other than nurtient pollution and depletion, there's the issue of soil erosion and even more clear-cutting that would be necessary for any viable supply.

On top of that, it's still got a good deal of hydrocarbon output.

I don't know...I think everybody's jumped onto that bandwagon because it's a more, "viable," alternative for the near future. Don't get me wrong...I think we should move away from oil ASAP, but I also think we shouldn't half-ass it, you know?

Might be a good way to ween us from Oil at first. And to be honest we might have nearly enough corn if we didn't add that damn corn fructose to EVERYTHING. I remember hearing Bill Maher rattle on about that for a while but I haven't done my own research.

Might be a good way to ween us from Oil at first. And to be honest we might have nearly enough corn if we didn't add that damn corn fructose to EVERYTHING. I remember hearing Bill Maher rattle on about that for a while but I haven't done my own research.

Oh man, don't get me started on that. We should just use sugar. I personally think it tastes better, and it's actually healthier. There's evidence that suggests that high fructose corn syrup compromises and slows metabolism all on its own.

I'm temprorarily living at the coast for school (Newport, OR) and went to this little pizza place that sells Coca-Cola in a bottle. It was hot that day, so I got one (because it's always so much better from a bottle and ice-cold) and noticed that all of the writing on the bottle was in Spanish.

Apparently, in Mexico they still use sugar in their product.

Anyways, a slightly unrelated rant there.

I'm temprorarily living at the coast for school (Newport, OR) and went to this little pizza place that sells Coca-Cola in a bottle. It was hot that day, so I got one (because it's always so much better from a bottle and ice-cold) and noticed that all of the writing on the bottle was in Spanish.

Apparently, in Mexico they still use sugar in their product.

Anyways, a slightly unrelated rant there.

Honestly, I think Mexican Coca-Cola tastes a lot better then the stuff we drink here. Soda using sugar cane is the ****.

Honestly, I think Mexican Coca-Cola tastes a lot better then the stuff we drink here. Soda using sugar cane is the ****.
There is a place that makes Coke with cane sugar? I want some.:csad:

Wednesday, May 21, 2008
service_ap_36.gif

:waa::waa::waa::waa:

:whatever:

There is a place that makes Coke with cane sugar? I want some.:csad:

I think they use cane sugar in all sodas down in Mexico. If you don't feel like traveling to Mexico to get some though, and you happen to have a Seattle's Best (or a Borders) near you, try their Red Cane Cola. They use sugar cane as well, and it's delicious.

I don't know...for now, how commercially viable is it? The main problem with Hydrogen fuels, for example, is the production of the Hydrogen itself. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an amazing solution, but there's virtually no news on the progress of Hydrogen fuels. It's like the hype died off in favor of ethanol, which is a terrible alternative IMO.

If I remember correctly, there was a viable electric car being made a while back, but I believe Exxon did some kind of hostile takeover. So...yeah, it's pretty viable, it's just that the oil guys have deeper pockets.

Could be wrong, though--been a while since I read up on it.

I agree with Memphis, ...let's unleash our energy independence until another energy source becoems viable.

Look at what our Congress is doing to fight the gas prices

Stop putting oil in the emergency reserves...
Subpeona Oil executives...
Sue OPEC....LOL
Pass more pointless resolution....

Yeah, those are great ideas.....but how about....we use the energy resource that is available to us? I dunno.
I think its a good idea.

If I remember correctly, there was a viable electric car being made a while back, but I believe Exxon did some kind of hostile takeover. So...yeah, it's pretty viable, it's just that the oil guys have deeper pockets.

Could be wrong, though--been a while since I read up on it.

Check out the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?"

Great movie, and they go into great detail over what exactly caused the downfall of the electric car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"