Discussion: Alternative Energy

That's still a very low number for a species. Look at the 6.5 billion people on Earth. 30 million white-tailed deer in the United States alone. 400 million pigeons. Etc.

Please tell me you're not serious.....

We don't need millions of Polar Bears. Wild animals are potential dangerous. There is a certain amount that we can control.

Is that seriously the only way you're going to respond? :whatever:

You don't see the fallacy in your original argument? At all?

Yes.........if you are are suggesting that people are less valuable than the planet and we'd be better off without people, then back it up with action. But nooooooo.....you rather it be someone else, right?

Do the earth a favor.....:hehe:

Please tell me you're not serious.....

We don't need millions of Polar Bears. Wild animals are potential dangerous. There is a certain amount that we can control.

It's not our responsibility or job to control any species but our own.

Yes.........if you are are suggesting that people are less valuable than the planet and we'd be better off without people, then back it up with action. But nooooooo.....you rather it be someone else, right?

Do the earth a favor.....:hehe:

Human beings are incredibly dangerous, moreso than any "wild" animal. Take the average annual number of polar bear, shark, dog, alligator and hippopotamus attacks and multiply it by three and you'll get a number closer to the average number of human attacks in a month.

It's not our responsibility or job to control any species but our own.

That's most ridiculous thing I've heard. :hehe: How old are you? so you want wolf packs running loose in your neighbor hood? deer eating up the crops? Bear killing people because too many exist??? I guess you don't mind rats over running your home?? Roaches......ants.....wild dogs and cats???

Human beings are incredibly dangerous, moreso than any "wild" animal. Take the average annual number of polar bear, shark, dog, alligator and hippopotamus attacks and multiply it by three and you'll get a number closer to the average number of human attacks in a month.

Then do the planet a favor and be the first one outta here. If all you see in bad in your fellow man, I feel sorry for you.

This thread is just turning into a "shouting" match between two opposing sides, and a way for Slim to demean other posters...

This thread is just turning into a "shouting" match between two opposing sides, and a way for Slim to demean other posters...

oh pleeez............stop crying. This is a spirited discussion. Just defend your position and be finished with it.

I fsomeone is gonna suggest offing human beings for the planet's sake, that's just crazy.

oh pleeez............stop crying. This is a spirited discussion. Just defend your position and be finished with it.

I fsomeone is gonna suggest offing human beings for the planet's sake, that's just crazy.

The same could be said of the admittedly anthropocentric position that "Hey! We've got animals to spare! I mean, they're dangerous, amiriteguys?"

Cellslim said:

Do the earth a favor....

Logical fallacy. "Oh, you don't want to do it! Shut up, then!"

Cellslim said:
Then do the planet a favor and be the first one outta here. If all you see in bad in your fellow man, I feel sorry for you.

So, not only are you incredibly one-note, but you're unintentionally funny, as well. Geezus, and you have kids? Really? :wow:

That's most ridiculous thing I've heard. How old are you? so you want wolf packs running loose in your neighbor hood? deer eating up the crops? Bear killing people because too many exist??? I guess you don't mind rats over running your home?? Roaches......ants.....wild dogs and cats???

Oh noes! Them aminals are all out to get us! :hehe:

If all you see is bad in other species, I feel sorry for YOU.

By the way, I'm not suggesting offing humans, but if you're going to pull a number out to "prove" that there are "too many" of any species, I'm gonna pull out the population figures for India and China.

Oh noes! Them aminals are all out to get us! :hehe:

If all you see is bad in other species, I feel sorry for YOU.

By the way, I'm not suggesting offing humans, but if you're going to pull a number out to "prove" that there are "too many" of any species, I'm gonna pull out the population figures for India and China.

QFT

:word:

We can't start drilling our own oil, that's crazy talk, those oil executives are still saving up so they each can buy their own island. Maybe after they've each bought their islands we can start drilling in places like Alaska, Montana and South Dakota, but until then they need to keep making those record profits, it's not really for them either it's for their great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandchildren and those islands they have their eye on.

It is absolutely criminal what these oil executives are doing to the American people. Corporate greed is going to be our ultimate downfall.

I say it is time the government caps oil prices. I wonder how quickly the oil companies would release an alternative, much cheaper, fuel if oil is no longer profitable?

Or the government could open the reserves. You know, the one they only recently stopped putting 97 THOUSAND GALLONS OF OIL IN PER DAY. Cheap fuel from the reserves would do far more to end the recession than 600 bucks.

Or they could just eliminate the ethanol tariffs and drop gas by 50 cents a gallon!

Or the government could turn oil into a utility!

Or...Wait...all this would have to mean that the government is not in the pockets of oil execs...so yeah... :csad:

It doesn't matter how much oil we drill; I don't think the supply is the issue that makes the oil barrel prices skyrocking.

It doesn't matter how much oil we drill; I don't think the supply is the issue that makes the oil barrel prices skyrocking.

I did a little bit of research on this for a class I took last semester... the supply of oil will go up immediately after we start drilling in Alaska, but it will gradually decrease shortly thereafter... however, there's no guarantee the price will go down significantly, which is one of the major arguments against drilling in ANWR, in addition to the environmental concerns...

I did a little bit of research on this for a class I took last semester... the supply of oil will go up immediately after we start drilling in Alaska, but it will gradually decrease shortly thereafter... however, there's no guarantee the price will go down significantly, which is one of the major arguments against drilling in ANWR, in addition to the environmental concerns...

Just out of curiousity Jman, did your paper include any research on the concept of capping prices while cutting the taxes on oil, turning it into a utility or opening up the reserve or was that outside of the scope of the paper?

Just out of curiousity Jman, did your paper include any research on the concept of capping prices while cutting the taxes on oil, turning it into a utility or opening up the reserve or was that outside of the scope of the paper?

Unfortunately, no. It wasn't a paper, just a presentation on alternative energies (ANWR was mentioned as a reason why we can't rely on oil if we want to achieve energy independence)-- had it been a paper solely on the pros and cons of ANWR, I probably would have looked into that.

Ah, I see. What are your personal thoughts on those methods?

Ah, I see. What are your personal thoughts on those methods?

I support capping gas prices, and I also support tapping into our reserves. Those are the most logical options, as far as I'm concerned. I also feel we should drill in Montana and North Dakota, as there are vast oil wells in the wastelands of those states which have yet to be tapped. We have numerous options there, but as you said, they are unrealistic because most of Congress is owned by the oil executives.

I also think the "gas tax holiday" is a stupid idea, considering it would save consumers $50 on average-- at the absolute highest-- for the entire summer season. I filled up my dad's car a few days ago, and that cost me over $60... which means a "gas tax holiday" wouldn't even make up the cost of one tank of gas for many consumers.

I support capping gas prices, and I also support tapping into our reserves. Those are the most logical options, as far as I'm concerned. I also feel we should drill in Montana and North Dakota, as there are vast oil wells in the wastelands of those states which have yet to be tapped. We have numerous options there, but as you said, they are unrealistic because most of Congress is owned by the oil executives.

I also think the "gas tax holiday" is a stupid idea, considering it would save consumers $50 on average-- at the absolute highest-- for the entire summer season. I filled up my dad's car a few days ago, and that cost me over $60... which means a "gas tax holiday" wouldn't even make up the cost of one tank of gas for many consumers.

Yeah, I tend to agree with everything you said. Sadly, I doubt any of it will work. All getting rid of the tax will really do, at the end of the day, is give the oil companies a bit more profit.

Sadly, no matter who wins the White House, we are still ****ed. It is either Clinton or McCain who openly admit to being in Big Oil's pocket or Obama who just lies about it and uses semantics to avoid saying he takes oil money.

and we have over 25000 polar bears!!!!!!!!!!!!:cmad:

NOT IN DANGER ANYMORE!!!!!!
According to who? Jesus, I didn't realize you were an ecologist. You should have said so. Now that you're an authority on polar bear population dynamics, you should go to congress and fix the whole situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"