Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd throw my two cents in as a white conservative southern Christian male, as I know I am fiercely in the minority on this...

I believe, at the core of it, that homosexuality is wrong. In 1 Corinthians it is directly stated that it is a sin. That is what I believe, and no amount of arguing or debating will change my mind so please save us all the time and don't even try.
But...
Homosexuality isn't singled out as some bigger offense than others in the eyes of God. By my own beliefs and my own standards, I too am a sinner. I do plenty of things on a daily basis I know I shouldn't, but part of the Christian life is growing to be more like Christ and it is a life long struggle and a daily battle to undergo.
That being said, I am in no place to throw stones. Who am I to look down on a gay person in any way?
Also, this is a free country. While I believe in Christianity, I don't expect this entire nation to adhere to my specific beliefs and as such if gay marriage is made legal in all 50 states I won't lose any sleep over it whatsoever. It's not like they're hurting anyone; I say let them be. I don't think God will exact some "righteous punishment on our nation" if we let gay folks get married.
So even though I disagree with that lifestyle choice, Jesus taught love, acceptance, and tolerance and that is what I try to practice.
While I know a majority of you will disagree with this post (with some of you possibly getting offended) I just wanted to make it very clear that not all of us are close-minded, slack-jawed idiots. Please don't think we are all even remotely like the Westboro Baptist Church, because most of us really are not.

Why can't more Christians think this way?

:facepalm: That is an embarrassment to Catholics. Benedict is far too outdated and old fashioned and is holding the Church back, IMO. A lot of people feel like the Conclave intentionally selected a very old fashioned and conservative pope in Benedict to follow up the more liberal John Paul II and to bridge the gap between John Paul and the man whom many consider to be the heir apparent of Benedict Cardinal Arinze who is even more liberal than John Paul. I'm not saying that he will come out in support of gay marriage or anything, but I do not think that he would do something like that.

In what way is Arinze liberal?

I never knew it was considered a mental disorder. How Victorian!

What annoys me is when people get angry that women can't be priests, but then say stuff like "I agree they should be partners, but marriage is for a man and wife."
Even my mum, who is completely fine with homosexuality, said this. It makes no sense!

It's amazing what anti-gay laws are still on the books in this world in 2012.

Maine's same-sex marriage law officially went into effect earlier this morning. Gay couples began marrying shortly after midnight.

:up:

In what way is Arinze liberal?

First of all, you have to consider when I say liberal, I mean in terms of Catholic doctrine. There isn't a single Cardinal in the Church who is going to come out and say, "Let's start having Catholic sanctioned gay marriages," or "God wants abortion to be legal," (though I do suspect there are more than a few who are for the former).

However, he's all about promoting interfaith relations and stressing that Catholics ought to be more open and accepting of views that are not our own. Furthermore, he isn't nearly as hardline fundamentalist as Benedict. While he is not Cardinal Francis George (who is very liberal, has spoken in support of gay rights, etc), he is fairly liberal.

Again, this is by Catholic standards. Frankly, you're not going to see a Pope within the next 20 to 50 years who says things like, "gay marriage should be recognized by the church," or "We should provide birth control to teenagers." It just isn't going to happen. If certain movements are living or dying based on that hope, they really ought to stop holding their collective breath and stop following Catholic politics. It is as intolerant to demand that Catholics change their dogma to accept the beliefs of others as it is for Benedict to make comments like his Christmas Day remarks.

Benedict is the last of the old guard and many see his selection as Pope as a way to appease the old school types as they are on their way out. The new guard isn't going to be an ultra liberal sect. It is going to be a group that promotes simply not condemning the "sinner," rather than condoning them.

Change takes time in the Catholic Church. Eventually, I'd imagine we will reach the point where we are more accepting. But it isn't going to happen any time soon. Liberal by Catholic standards would be a Pope who promotes interfaith relations and acceptance of sinners, even if we disagree with the sin. That is what Arzine has done and would probably do as Pope.

Last edited:
Ya know....if all these churches and pastors are morally superior to us....then make your case without lying every time you open your mouth.

Is he talking about just, like, petting a horse, or *********ing a horse?

I'm too scared to read the article to find out

He is talking about petting a horse and being around horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"