Discussion: Global Warming and Other Environmental Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
Arctic ice cap melting away

September 30, 2005

THE Arctic ice cap could disappear completely, well before the end of the century as a result of global warming, US scientists have warned.

The Arctic ice shelf has melted for the fourth straight year to its smallest area in a century, driven by rising temperatures that appear linked to a build-up of greenhouse gases.

If the shrinking trend continues at its present rate of 8 per cent a year, there could be no ice at all at the pole as early as the summer of 2060.

The extent of Arctic sea ice varies naturally, but researchers from the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre and NASA, which produced the new data, said there were strong indications that human-induced global warming was at least partially responsible. "It's still a controversial issue, and there's always going to be some uncertainty because the climate system does have a lot of natural variability, especially in the Arctic," said Mark Serreze of NSIDC, who led the research, "but I think the evidence is growing very, very strong that part of what we're seeing now is the increased greenhouse effect."

Sea ice cover in the Arctic, which does not boast a continental land mass like Antarctica, always shrinks to its lowest point in September, at the end of the northern hemisphere summer. For each of the past four years, satellite data has shown a substantial reduction in ice extent during this period.

On September 21, the average size of the cap had dropped to 5.31 million square kilometres -- the lowest in satellite records that stretch back to 1978.

Less accurate historical records indicate the latest low is unprecedented for more than a century. The area now covered by ice is 20 per cent lower than the average from 1978 to 2000.

"September 2005 will set a new record minimum in the amount of Arctic sea ice cover," Dr Serreze said. "It's the least sea ice we've seen in the satellite record, and continues a pattern of extreme low extents of sea ice which we've seen for the past four years."

Julienne Stroeve, one of his colleagues, said: "Considering the record low amounts of sea ice this year leading up to the month of September 2005 will almost certainly surpass 2002 as the lowest amount of ice cover in more than a century."

The decline is particularly worrying as it has the potential to create a feedback effect that accelerates global warming. Sea ice reflects much of the sun's heat back into space, while the ocean beneath absorbs it, so shrinking cover will raise temperatures still further. Reuters, The Times

Where will the Penguins march then?! Muwahaha

JokerFish said:
Where will the Penguins march then?! Muwahaha
here are a few maps of the new coastlines when the caps melt

earthnoice.jpg

40_17.GIF

2060. I will be 75 years old then. Hmm, and Austin might become a coastal city. And whole states might be gone. Wow.

It's not because of Global Warming, the Earth goes thru periodical climate changes every few thousand years. The Ice age was the last major cold snap and now we are entering a heat wave theat will propably last a long time.

By that time they'll probably find a way to keep the Artic cold.

Or make huge artificial ice things.

Damn humans,due to the overuse of natual elements and population overcrowedment..look at what is going to happen.That is not natural,the caps are not ment to melt for billions of years,and now look at it.In less than 100 years they can be gone..beauty will be gone.

America will be around 40% flooded,Russia will have a regular climate,and lower North America,Italy,Greece,northern Africa will become rainforests.The climate change is pushing weather currents downward.

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
isn't the average lifespan like 75ish?
77 possibly... but not shooting to hit 80 in life? Come on... I know many who reach 80 and above. Also, I would assume he would start to see it all happening around him in his later years in life anyways.

ShadowBoxing said:
yeah but its only that low because of the obesity problem
and yet it's still a lot higher than it used to be, it's not like the himalayas or anything though

Oh, and if (God forbid) I die before then, my kids (after I get married, get her pregnant, and they're born) are still ****ed. I feel bad for my sperm cells. :(

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
and yet it's still a lot higher than it used to be, it's not like the himalayas or anything though
we could still stop eating so damn much though...and ya know also stop melting the ice caps that would be nice

ShadowBoxing said:
we could still stop eating so damn much though...and ya know also stop melting the ice caps that would be nice
Well, since I'm not obese, can't blame me, I also don't drive, can't blame me there either. I think more people are getting cancer too, which isn't really related to obesity. Why stop melting the ice caps? I think the earth should just do what it's going to do, it's happened before, it'll happen again. The ocean will rise like it did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"