Display problem with my TV

Discussion in 'Tech & Support' started by TNC9852002, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TNC9852002 Banned User

I just noticed something weird lately.

I see these little faint swirls of red and pink static moving all across the screen, usually across dark colors and around significant dark backgrounds...(The TV is a 27"HD LCD).

I'm wondering, why does this happen and is there something that I can do about it? It must be something recent because I don't remember seeing them up until a week ago and I've had this particular TV for over a month.

-TNC

2. Fran Banned User

Does it do this all the time?

3. TNC9852002 Banned User

Well, it's hard to tell...It seems to show up quite a lot, but only when watching TV do I have to stare really hard to see it. But, if I'm watching like, something like a Blu-Ray movie, it shows up quite a bit and doesn't seem to go away. But, at one point yesterday, they went away for a while and then I saw them again. Maybe it has to do with the cords or something.

Like I said, it looks like some kind of moving, red static that moves around backgrounds and dark or red shapes.

-TNC

4. Fran Banned User

Might be cords. Try untangling any that are tangled, or just plug-in your cables again. Could be the problem.

But in the end, might be something with the TV itself.

5. TNC9852002 Banned User

Will do. I'm unplugging everything! The receiver, the satellite box, the antenna, the PS3, Wii,...

-TNC

6. TNC9852002 Banned User

Ok, that didn't help.

I don't get it. How could it be the TV? Why would this happen just all of a sudden like this? It's been looking and working fine up until a week ago! :(

-TNC

7. Asteroid-Man Registered

8. strikezone89 Smarks Chat CM PUNK :-/

LIke asteroid man said it's most likely magnets that messed it up... and if that's the cause then sorry but there's really no fixing that.

9. Fran Banned User

Yeah, magnets. Forgot about that.

(Not really tuned in)

10. Asteroid-Man Registered

unless he uses a stronger magnetic poll from the opposite end and somehow adjusts it to only extract red... but good luck with that :cwink:

11. TNC9852002 Banned User

Please explain this. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

and in detail please.

-TNC

12. The Evolutionist Registered

Basically, it sounds like a magnetic field somehow came in contact with your screen. Basically (at least how I understand it), the magnet messed with how the crystals in the screen were arranged, causing the visual problems. I did a quick Google search, and there is no fix that I would suggest anyone short of a skilled technician even attempt.

13. Asteroid-Man Registered

Wait, is there large speakers close to your TV? If so, move them.

14. TNC9852002 Banned User

Well, remember how they usually say how speakers are magnetically shielded or what not? Well, I have a few speakers that are/were very close to the TV, and I guess over time, they may have affected the TV in some way. I've tried moving them away, but I don't think it'll magically fix the TV's problem now.

This sucks because I just got my old TV replaced with this one!

-TNC

15. jaguarr Be Your Own Hero

I think you need to stop buying Westinghouse TV's, personally.

jag

16. TNC9852002 Banned User

I bet it's been a problem with the speakers the whole time.. :(

-TNC

17. MichaelDigital "Now dig on this!"

The people above are either having you on or are misinformed. LCDs and plasmas are not affected by magnetic fields (though CRTs are), so whatever happened to your LCD, it wasn't caused by any magnetic field.

18. The Evolutionist Registered

...I've watched a LCD screen get ruined with a magnet right in front of me. It's not as easy, but it's still possible, and the magnetic fields put out by unshielded speakers are definitely strong enough.

19. MichaelDigital "Now dig on this!"

No effect here in passing a neodymium magnet out of a hard drive over and in front of an LCD panel. Also tried a old degaussing coil. No effect either. Used to degauss CRTs very well too (though it hasn't been used for a couple years).

Resorted to Google and I couldn't find any evidence to suggest that a magnetic field will do anything other than possibly induce voltage into the cells. I didn't even get that.

20. TNC9852002 Banned User

Ok, I definitely fixed it this time...It definitely was some kind of interference from my subwoofer because when I moved it to another position, it all went away.

Cool beans, eh?

-TNC