Do cartoons provide a better gateway for kids to the DC and Marvel Universes

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Let's face it, kids don't read comic books any more, except for Japanese comics.

So I was wondering, do you think cartoons provide a better gateway for kids into the DC or Marvel, then comics? A cartoon doesn't have some of the problems a comic would, that prevent kids from reading it, ex: content parents may find unsuitable, 40 years of continuity, etc.

Plus a cartoon when done well can improve upon concepts found in a comic, like what BTAS did with Mr. Freeze.

Easily. Even back when we were growing up, it did so. The idea is to get your IP across as wide an audience as you can, so you can make as much money as you can. If a property shows merit, try it elsewhere. Perfect example is TMNT. If memory serves, the first books were funded by tax refunds and a loan from Laird's uncle, and it took off like crazy, which brought on the cartoons [which have a BIG divide between the comics and the cartoons], and that begat more success from the movies, and a second comic production ALA Archie Comics. Most of us just remember the "Cowabunga!" Turtles growing up, but I can bet that a lot of us have actually went back and read the comics.

Same basic idea.

If it wasnt for BTAS, I never would've gotten into comics... so, yeah, they definately provide a fine gateway to DC/Marvel comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"