Do you think the sequel´s tone will be different?

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
As you know, one of the main criticisms the first movie has received - from myself, among others - is the tone was too comedic and silly and it didn´t feel epic enough. Of course a teaser is not enough to judge, but given the feel of it do you sense an intention of going for a more serious and epic tone this time? Have they listened to the fans?

Too soon to tell, but i'd hope so. I hope there are still comic relief moments, especially between Ben & Johnny, but the overall tone should be one of foreboding...remember;

1) Our worst enemy has returned, and stolen the powers of a cosmic-level being.

2) An even WORSE threat looms on the horizon.

so yeah, im hoping for a bit darker mood this time.

I keep wondering if the appearance of Galactus will be a cliffhanger for the third movie, since his name is not on the title.

I'm not an F4 comic reader but I always got the impression that the FF comic wasn't uber serious to begin with. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
I'm not an F4 comic reader but I always got the impression that the FF comic wasn't uber serious to begin with. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It´s not dark, like, in the Batman sense, but it´s definitely more serious than the sci-fi sitcom the first movie was.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're absolutely right.

The comics have always been somewhat lighthearted at times, but when it gets dirty, it gets sully. Considering the threats the Four face in this film I'm not sure they can treat it lightly this time.

The first film was an introduction to the characters...it could afford to be softer in its tone. But now that things are established I expect this film to be a bit darker and maybe more ominous. It's too early to say for sure, but I *think* it may be a tad more serious.

But I will say that those who expect this movie to not have any humor or light moments (a la the first film) are either naive or just not acquainted with the source material. It wouldn't be the Fantastic Four if there wasn't some humor from either Johnny or Ben's direction. It's what they do, and part of who the characters are.

Lightning Strikez! said:
No, you're absolutely right.

The comics have always been somewhat lighthearted at times, but when it gets dirty, it gets sully. Considering the threats the Four face in this film I'm not sure they can treat it lightly this time.

The first film was an introduction to the characters...it could afford to be softer. Now that things are established I expect this film to be a bit darker and maybe more ominous.

But I will say that those who expect this movie to not have any humor or light moments (a la the first film) are naive. It wouldn't be the Fantastic Four if there wasn't some humor from either Johnny or Ben's direction. It's what they do.
Yeah, the Galactus saga is damn serious.

The tone wasn't one of my problems with the first movie at all so maybe I'm not the person to answer this
The FF by nature are more light hearted,2 of their group in particular at time play comic relief
What i garnered from the trailer was that all the 4 acted exactly how i'd expect,the urgency of the chase and the use of a score instead of "rawk music" showed me they are aiming for more epic but not necessarily darker

hunter rider said:
The tone wasn't one of my problems with the first movie at all so maybe I'm not the person to answer this
The FF by nature are more light hearted,2 of their group in particular at time play comic relief
What i garnered from the trailer was that all the 4 acted exactly how i'd expect,the urgency of the chase and the use of a score instead of "rawk music" showed me they are aiming for more epic but not necessarily darker
They may be a bit more lighthearted than other characters, but it´s not a flat-out comedy, which is how I perceived the first movie. There´s a lot of drama too.

ultimatefan said:
They may be a bit more lighthearted than other characters, but it´s not a flat-out comedy, which is how I perceived the first movie. There´s a lot of drama too.

I found many issues with the first movie but tonally i thought it was pretty much just like the books it is based on,i actually had a harder job with SR given it's attempt to combine two tones one of which had been dead for years

So even if you disliked the film for other reasons it got the tone mostly right? I mean I'm thinking that these movies should be even lighter than the first Spider-Man movie...and good, they should be good, it's the most important thing after all.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
So even if you disliked the film for other reasons it got the tone mostly right? I mean I'm thinking that these movies should be even lighter than the first Spider-Man movie...and good, they should be good, it's the most important thing after all.
Yes,my reasons for disliking it were many but not the tone

hunter rider said:
I found many issues with the first movie but tonally i thought it was pretty much just like the books it is based on,i actually had a harder job with SR given it's attempt to combine two tones one of which had been dead for years
I dunno, it doesn´t feel like that for me... The origin felt like a serious story to me, for instance. Stan Lee definitely put humor in all his stories, but he usually put drama too.

The first few scenes actually worry me quite a bit. It's hard to describe but it seems light to me.
Many have said that the comics have humor in them and they are right. I don't think humor is what we're talking about here. I think it's more the general tone of the movie.
This comes from the acting and overall directing of the movie.
You can have a very serious and even heavy movie with humorous moments.
You can also have a movie with no jokes which just seems light, or doesn't take itself seriously.
it's the difference between real movies and some teen disney movies.
What I call power ranger acting.
The new Star wars have that quality to them.

Based on the acting we see so far, reed's reaction, Thing wiping tears, Johnny's comments, and just the feel of it, for example the slight smile reed has on his face as Johnny runs past him, to the comedian priest guy, all this thing give me a light beer impression rather than a real movie impression.

IMO, armagedon and the invincibles capture the Tone of the FF comics perfectly. Humorous but real, serious and heavy, at the same time.

CaptainStacy said:
Too soon to tell, but i'd hope so. I hope there are still comic relief moments, especially between Ben & Johnny, but the overall tone should be one of foreboding...remember;

1) Our worst enemy has returned, and stolen the powers of a cosmic-level being.

2) An even WORSE threat looms on the horizon.

so yeah, im hoping for a bit darker mood this time.

I'm totally against that. I'd like a epic feel, but not a "darker mood". This is the Fantastic Four. Not Batman Begins.
If the "overall tone" is forboding, I'll be pissed. Tim Story has already said he wants to keep it family friendly. He nixed the Batmobile versions of the Fantasticar because he wanted something friendlier.

I think I'm going to get my wish, and you are going to be dissapointed. Not trying to be a jerk, but the evidence points to the "tone" of this movie being more like the first one than going the "dark" route.

It does sound like it's going to be more epic.

I don't think the movie has to be Dark or Serious to be Epic. Anyone agree with me?

Based on the acting we see so far, reed's reaction, Thing wiping tears, Johnny's comments, and just the feel of it, for example the slight smile reed has on his face as Johnny runs past him, to the comedian priest guy, all this thing give me a light beer impression rather than a real movie impression.

Considering everything you just mentioned was lifted pretty much VERBATIM from the comic books as written and penned by Kirby and Lee, I think you are looking for something that's NOT the Fantastic Four. You're talking about changing the tone of the movie, something some of us feel they got just right with the first movie.

HoratioRome said:

Um....it's a wedding dude.

How else are people supposed to look at weddings? :confused::confused::confused:

Okay, so some people want every movie to be like Batman Begins, got it.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Um....it's a wedding dude.

How else are people supposed to look at weddings? :confused::confused::confused:

all I'm saying is the acting in that scene is a bit cheesy and weak. The reactions were Disney movie ish, IMO.
I just realized you may have misunderstood me. The smile I'm referring to is after SS came and Reed tells Johnny to go after him. of course I would expect reed to be smiling at his wedding prior to that. I just think that even at your wedding, if you see something odd and potentialy dangerous streaking through the sky you kinda stop smiling; especially if you're reed richards who's overly serious in the first place.

and for those who are claiming my using Batman begins as an example means I want the FF to be like Batman that's just stup,.... not true.

Finally, for those who think that the comics were just one comedic hullabaloo chees fest I say you simply do not know the Fantastic Four,,...At all.

I know the Lee/Kirby stories backwards and forwards, and though it's true there was always an element of humor in he comics(especially with Ben Grimm), the overall tone of the comic was very serious, ominous and very somber. They went from one earth shattering disaster to the another.
They argued and and were often seriously bitter and angry with each other . People forget, but just as there was an element of humor in the books there was also an element of sadness, as well as an element of anger in the FF books.

Reed Richards was a serious guy.
Johnny was hot tempered and often angry.
Thing was sad, and angry

If you don't know that perhaps you should look it up before commenting. (this isn't for you lightning)

SeverianB said:
Considering everything you just mentioned was lifted pretty much VERBATIM from the comic books as written and penned by Kirby and Lee, I think you are looking for something that's NOT the Fantastic Four. You're talking about changing the tone of the movie, something some of us feel they got just right with the first movie.

Huh? what? verbatim from the comics? what comics were you reading?.:whatever:

FYI that scene doesn't exist in the comics at all. SS didn't appear at the wedding:whatever:

I voted "Too soon to tell", but judging from the trailer, it doesn't look like much will change.

I HOPE it has a more ominous tone. What with a giant man coming to devour a whole planet coming...

Too many fanboy geeks are into the whole brooding thing for their comic movies, which seems to have spilled over into FF, mostly because they hated Story from the day he was announced as director. The comments over at AICN are already negative, even though the trailer looks damn good. He looks too CGI....how the **** is he supposed to look?

I wasn't a fan of the 1st FF though the new trailer looks amazing. I don't care if the tone in the film changes, I'd just like to see alot more action, sci fi in your face, & alot more use of their powers. And let's not forget drama. Silver Surfer looks top notch too. :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"