Does anyone?

GuardianofOa

Sidekick
Reaction score
Have a sibling or close family member who happens to be special needs?

My sister has Cerebral Palsy and was just wanting to know if anyone else here has anyone in their family who is a special needs person.

I love my sister to death and I hope that this doesn't seem like I am exploiting her in any way....

Hmm, maybe this is a bad idea.

Not sure if this counts as special needs, but one of my Aunts on my Mom's side of the family is ******ed.

What's your reason for wanting to know? Do you need advice or something?

Um, how was your Aunt ******ed, there are many forms sir. And I was just wanting to know if I had anything in common with anyone here. To share stories or experiences and whatnot.

Just curious, I guess.

Not sure if this counts as special needs, but one of my Aunts on my Mom's side of the family is ******ed.

What's your reason for wanting to know? Do you need advice or something?

Good grief. :dry:

I had a friend with cerebal palsy, he led a fairly normal life.

Then there was that Bodybuilder I posted on the Fitness thread, he had cerebral palsy.

My little brother has Cerebral Palsy.
They had to remove two thirds of his colon when he was born.
He also had Epilepsy really bad when we were kids, but he took Phenobarbitol every day, and never had any more seizures.
He had almost 30 operations because the damn doctors at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah were totally convinced they could get him so he could walk someday.

So his legs are just butchered and he still flips out when he even sees a hospital.

Thousands of people from all over the world prayed countless hours, fervently, that he would be able to walk someday, but his being a cripple is all part of Jesus' beautiful plan for our lives.

So, enjoy! :):up:

I dunno if this is just a cultural thing or what, but over here referring to someone as ******ed even if they have mental difficulties is generally seen as derogatory. I'm guessing its different in the US since I've seen the word used so frequently.

Sorry, im not liberal and definetly not PC. In short im not a brain washed tool who needs to be told how and what to speak/say. You can refer to someone who is "mentally disabled" without meaning it in a bad way. Take your heads out of your asses and learn to think/speak for yourselves.

It would be derogatory or screwed up to say "HAHAHA Look at that ******!", but to just refer to someone in a discriptive manner as I did in my first post, is NOT bad. Bad would be the example I just used in quotes.

I am not a fan of the word "******" I think it's derogatory as well.

My sis just dislocated her hip recently, don't know how the hell she could sdo that since she can't walk. But, she hadsurgery and whatnot, it was crazy.

I was reading recently that only 5% of people with CP get it (or whatever) suring birth, in which my sister falls in to this statistic. Craziness. The doctor was quite afew hours late when my mom was in labor. My moms heart rate went down to near death and my sisters went up to near death, almost a heart attack or soemthing, I don't remember all the details, it was 9 years ago. But what I don't understand is why they never brought in another doctor to deliver my sis.

I love her to death, she's absolutley hilarious.

Wil, how old is your brother, and can he talk?

I am not a fan of the word "******" I think it's derogatory as well.

My sis just dislocated her hip recently, don't know how the hell she could sdo that since she can't walk. But, she hadsurgery and whatnot, it was crazy.

I was reading recently that only 5% of people with CP get it (or whatever) suring birth, in which my sister falls in to this statistic. Craziness. The doctor was quite afew hours late when my mom was in labor. My moms heart rate went down to near death and my sisters went up to near death, almost a heart attack or soemthing, I don't remember all the details, it was 9 years ago. But what I don't understand is why they never brought in another doctor to deliver my sis.

I love her to death, she's absolutley hilarious.

Same thing for my friend, Wayne, his CP was caused during birth. Not sure of the exact details, but there was some sort of complication and forceps were used (improperly) during his birth. Which led to his CP. I know the Hospital/Doctor were sued and they got some sort of settlement.

Wayne's CP was I guess mild compared to some, he was able to walk and function normally for the most part. Though he did lose motor skills on one-side of his body, kinda like you see with strokes, and he was epileptic.

I dunno if this is just a cultural thing or what, but over here referring to someone as ******ed even if they have mental difficulties is generally seen as derogatory. I'm guessing its different in the US since I've seen the word used so frequently.
It's not derogatory really, it's just been overused in a derogatory manner. It makes perfect sense in it's intended use.

It's very frustrating to explain, because technically he's, what they called "mildly ******ed"....and I would say that he is "off" with regards to some stuff, but he's actually more like an autistic genius.

He's super funny, very sophisticated sense of humor, doesn't seem "dumb" at all....but socially...something's just "off".
Like, he's insanely good with numbers, but he'll go on and on past the point of "normal", in roundabout ways that aren't useful at all, like:

"Welp!...In 12 days it'll be 3 days short of a month and half from the 17th anniversary of the day we got back home from Idaho for Grandpa's funeral....wh0oo."

And then you check it out, and he's exactly right, but like, lol....:huh:

So yeah, he can talk. He has pretty bad coordination with his hands and then his legs are just dead twigs, but his brain is better than a lot of "healthy" people I've met, just, weirder.

That's awesome. He does sound a little autistic. My cousin is Autistic and he's a frickin genius as well. He listens to instructional vidoes and makes songs out of them like, memorizes them and sings them opera style, craziness.

But, back on topic...well, that really wasn't off topic, but my sister can't talk. She has her grunts and her whines and her hums and whatnot for various feelings and emotions. She can't walk either, and it's doubtful she will. Her arms are strong, but she hasn't the capability of coordination to do anything with them other than to push herself up and scoot herself along. Which in a way, is pretty funny. She understands alot and commumicates pretty well though.

And again, Wil, how old is he?

I don't have a relative with special needs, and I wouldn't say I have "special needs" myself, but I do have an interesting condition called Dyspraxia.

I understand so little about dyspraxia and everything I know I've read on the Internet. I think my parents made the decision to keep me in the dark or something when I was younger. I had help with handwriting but nothing else. I have an appointment with an "educational psychologist" so that should be interesting.

Just the wide range of symptoms for someone with dyspraxia amuses me. I read stuff online and giggle with a "its funny 'cause its true" attitude.

Dyspraxics (along with people who have similar conditions) may have difficulty sleeping since there is an inability to force the brain to stop thinking and "shut down"[citation needed]. A dyspraxic is nearly always thinking about several unrelated things at once, (the inverse is also possible, with only one dominant thought occupying the dyspraxic's entire attention span at any given time) so this may cause easy distractibility and daydreaming[citation needed]. It is quite easy for someone with dyspraxia to concentrate entirely on a particular thought instead of on the situation at hand. For this reason, dyspraxia may be misdiagnosed as ADHD since on the surface both conditions have similar symptoms in some areas[citation needed]. Many people with dyspraxia have short-term memory issues and may forget instructions they received only seconds before, tend to forget important deadlines, and are constantly misplacing items[citation needed].

Thats ****ing hilarious, and all true. I don't have it bad, though. According to the wikipedia article about 2% of dyspraxics have it severe. Like, very low muscle strength and endurance with even the simplist of physical activities and they have to lean on things for support. I don't have that problem.

This part of the article...

Dyspraxics may wish to live alongside others, although they often find it difficult. They can be messy and cluttered with a tendency to outburst including aggression, 'good and bad days' (mood swings) and difficulty in understanding the meaning of everyday interactions within a household [3] Because of this, they sometimes end up arguing with people they care deeply about and regreting it when the mood swing is over.

Often, their moods do not last too long, but they are very intense. When angered, a dyspraxic may feel beyond furious but soon the mood will be over and he\she may regret things they did when they were angry[citation needed].

Is that someone putting their own spin on it? I've had mood swings, but not quite like that.

Dyspraxia is also related to autism and as a result dyspraxics often, like, "share" symptoms with other disorders. lol.

I saw a special screening of "I am Legend" on Monday. At the beginning of the movie, when Will Smith's character is walking through Time Square I saw a huge movie banner with the Batman and Superman logo together. It had a date which I think was 10.15.10, does anyone know any thing about that?

I saw a special screening of "I am Legend" on Monday. At the beginning of the movie, when Will Smith's character is walking through Time Square I saw a huge movie banner with the Batman and Superman logo together. It had a date which I think was 10.15.10, does anyone know any thing about that?

Random...

I don't know End of the World or October 15th, 2010. :huh:

Looks like the Hype has a new addition who has "special needs".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"