Don't Hurt Tom Hank's Testicles!!

Flame on! said:
And for that, may the Lord make us truly grateful.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times :(

Man that is still funny. Those were certainly strange days, to say the least. I'm sorry, I'm bored and lonely so I search through the old threads that spark my interest. I'm going to sleep now.

Immortalfire said:
The testicles in quesion are in a state of belonging. One does not add an extra S to a word that ends in S, when referring to the belonger (is that a word?). His last name is Hanks. The title of this is written Hank.

Thus, one should write "these are Tom Hanks' testicles", or in this case "Don't hurt Tom Hanks' testicles".
That's not what I was taught. I was taught that even if the word naturally ended in S that if it was a singular word you still added the S

So that would make it Tom Hanks's. Otherwise it would be as if you are referring to TWO people named Tom Hanks.

My teacher made a huge deal about it and quizzed everyone in the class about it, without telling us what the rule was until after everyone had the chance to make fools of themselves.

An amendment to what I just wrote. Several online grammar guides tell me that the "Hanks'" version is preferable to "Hanks's" but the latter is the more grammatically correct. So, it is a case like "ain't," the grammatical contraction of "am not." It is correct to say Hanks's but not considered cultured.

God, I am bored.

Darthphere said:
But only America is right you commie bastard.:mad:

Yeah, America sure as heck knows better English than us fools in England:mad:

Batty for Bats! said:
Man that is still funny. Those were certainly strange days, to say the least. I'm sorry, I'm bored and lonely so I search through the old threads that spark my interest. I'm going to sleep now.
What was so strange about 2 weeks ago?:confused:

I smoked alot of pot the first time I viewed it and have since given it up. :confused::up:

Dew k. Mosi said:
That's not what I was taught. I was taught that even if the word naturally ended in S that if it was a singular word you still added the S

So that would make it Tom Hanks's. Otherwise it would be as if you are referring to TWO people named Tom Hanks.

My teacher made a huge deal about it and quizzed everyone in the class about it, without telling us what the rule was until after everyone had the chance to make fools of themselves.

I remember a caveat to the s's rule, something about if it is a well-known individual (singular) whose name ends in s, only an apostrophe is required since it would be common knowledge that only one Jesus, or Zeus, or Socrates is being referenced.

Lurk said:
I remember a caveat to the s's rule, something about if it is a well-known individual (singular) whose name ends in s, only an apostrophe is required since it would be common knowledge that only one Jesus, or Zeus, or Socrates is being referenced.
But I know at least 2 Jesuses, 3 Socractes and how am I supposed to know if you are talking about Zeus Dumbrowski or Zeus Leibowitz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"