• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Downloading GIMP

Dragons Claws

Civilian
Reaction score
I heard downloading this was free, however I read on wikipedia that GIMP is free software, however this (as with all software licensed under GPL) is a reference to your ability to modify the source-code, rather than be able to use it gratis."
First, doesanyone know what this means and secondly is it a problem?
Would I be able to just download this straight to my computer and use it without any problems?

i went to wikipedia, and it looks like some random edited it for no reason, with ill-informed information. Gratis means free, which would make it say that you wouldnt be able to use it free, but the software is free. just download it, i dont think theyre would be any problems.

i just downloaded it and its straight. nothing else you have to do just download and start using. now if i can only figure out how to make Gif's on it.

Layers dude, layers. Just open one frame at a time then optimize for gif.

OpenSource basically states you can download the software and source code to the application. You CANNOT sell the application in its original form or provide it without having the sourcecode available also.

Basically, this means, if you want to use GIMP (an opensource program) to edit your family pics, go for it. It also means, that is you want to use it to edit pictures that you sell, go for it. Its there, and its free. The limitation is basically on the issue of redistribution and selling.

GIMP is totally free. I use it all the time. I don't even think you *can* pay for it lol. Maybe you can...I don't remember seeing any place to do it though ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"