• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

dr. manhattan can't be entirely cgi, can he?

ohmshalone

on the brink of sanity
Reaction score
i mean, they can't get complex things like humans and everyday animals (cats, dogs) to look real in cgi coz these things are too familiar to us.

the faq thread says:

Doctor Manhattan will done entirely in CGI with Billy Crudup doing the Human flashback scenes.

wikipedia says:

Crudup will provide motion capture for the computer generated character, and also play Osterman in flashback as a human.

if he's in front of green screen for dr. manhattan and then placed in with the other actors, that's fine, but who'll believe a cg human? don't tell me anything's possible, because even stan winston said we can never mimic humans (we can only come close). (that quote can be seen in the terminator 2 dvd)

yes, and i know there's a dr. manhattan thread already, but with no movement in this board, who's not gonna want a new thread? :cwink:

he isn't supposed to look like a human. he is supposed to look like something out of this world, so making him all cg makes sense

he isn't supposed to look like a human. he is supposed to look like something out of this world, so making him all cg makes sense

whaaat? besides being blue and having an atom drawn in his forehead, how does his shape differ from regular humans?

the only part that needs cgi with him is when he rebuilds himself after the accident. i don't think the director's gonna have a 3d model of a human painstakingly remade if he can just digitally enhance an actor to look blue.

apparently, people talk about a glow too around the doc, but I don't remember reading this anywhere. i'm sure green screen is what is needed. either that, or a cgi doctor manhattan won't get much face time, and we all know he's all over the comic. this issue's giving me a headache :spidey:

They're probably making him all-CGI because he's constantly duplicating himself and changing size, and in one scene, changes his color.

I'm sure it could probably done with practical effects, but this may be one of those cases where it works better in CGI. We'll just have to see the first official stills before we can pass judgment, though.

If they can make Davey Jones look real, with incredible detail paid to every inch of scale - they can do the same for Doctor Manhattan.

CGI has improved a lot since Terminator 2.

CGI has improved a lot since Terminator 2.

true, but it would be a lot of work and money for nothing. :)

They're probably making him all-CGI because he's constantly duplicating himself and changing size, and in one scene, changes his color.

I'm sure it could probably done with practical effects, but this may be one of those cases where it works better in CGI. We'll just have to see the first official stills before we can pass judgment, though.

i guess. I was also thinking "wait and see". all movies nowadays have so much cgi in them it's almost like we take it as the "new real"

off the subject: where is the quote about the glow around him in the comic?

i can't find it

I also think the CGI Manhattan is totally needless, and will use up money better spent in other areas of the film.

I'd understand CGI enhancements, but not a complete recreation...

As lame as Fantastic Four 2 was, the Silver Surfer effects were very believable and Dr. Manhattan should be easier.

As lame as Fantastic Four 2 was, the Silver Surfer effects were very believable and Dr. Manhattan should be easier.

but is that truly what was intended for doc manhattan? I always thought it was just a blue human. silver surfer had no pores and no definition.

maybe now i'm beginning to understand. some people saw doc manhattan as a blue silver surfer. now the question is what was it that was truly intended by moore.

but is that truly what was intended for doc manhattan? I always thought it was just a blue human. silver surfer had no pores and no definition.

maybe now i'm beginning to understand. some people saw doc manhattan as a blue silver surfer. now the question is what was it that was truly intended by moore and/or gibbons.

I'm saying what Special FX departments are capable in terms of making a 100% CGI character interact with real people. And I believe that a CGI Dr. Manhattan may end up looking better than Crudup in blue body paint.

And he's more than a blue human, while all the other characters are nothing more than normal human beings with training and technology, Dr. Manhattan has god like powers.

Have faith, I'm sure they didn't come to this decision before testing. Hell, we already know Snyder was making sure he could make Rorschach look cool before going forward.

He's not "just a blue human", he's a godly being of pure atomic power. No shadows fall on him; no light highlights his features.

CGI is perfect because the only thing "human" about him is his shape. He is not supposed to look "real".

Silver Surfer wasn't a CGI creation. He was a guy in a latex suit with CGI effects, which IMO is what Dr Manhattan should be.

As long as Rorshach looks cool. (Even though I'm against this movie being made). But who am I to complain?

Silver Surfer wasn't a CGI creation. He was a guy in a latex suit with CGI effects, which IMO is what Dr Manhattan should be.

And that's likely what Dr. Manhattan will be as well, if he's entirely CGI then the rest of the actors have no point of reference. It just won't be Crudup in a costume.

And that's likely what Dr. Manhattan will be as well, if he's entirely CGI then the rest of the actors have no point of reference. It just won't be Crudup in a costume.
Doug Jones was actually made up as the Silver Surfer on set. They just made him shiny on computer. Billy Crudup will be in a mo-cap suit, which is not the same thing.

Doug Jones was actually made up as the Silver Surfer on set. They just made him shiny on computer. Billy Crudup will be in a mo-cap suit, which is not the same thing.
In a mo-cap suit and high heels hopefully.

Since he is going to be fully CGI, I don't see how height is even an issue.

Because his fellow actors would be looking at him in the eye on the set, you'd be moving his face away from every body else's reference point.

Where did you read that he'd be wearing a mo-cap suit on the set? Unless you have something to back it up, which you may, I can't believe that Crudup is going to be the one standing in as Dr. Manhattan.

whaaat? besides being blue and having an atom drawn in his forehead, how does his shape differ from regular humans?

He grows like fifty feet tall when he lasers Vietcong.

Why not? My guess is that since they got the same guys from 300 doing him it won't really matter if he's all CG or not; it's amazing what nerds are able to do on a computer these days.:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"