• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Dune: Prophecy

It does look visually striking and cohesive with the films, but at the same time, maybe the 10 000 years before Paul Atreides setup would hit harder if the show didn't look like it was happening simultaneously with the Arrakis events. I'm glad they put money into this, there's potential for sure.

It does look visually striking and cohesive with the films, but at the same time, maybe the 10 000 years before Paul Atreides setup would hit harder if the show didn't look like it was happening simultaneously with the Arrakis events. I'm glad they put money into this, there's potential for sure.
To be fair, humanity and their technology having been stagnant for thousands of years is a big part of Dune lore. Though, I think the Bene Gesserit outfits are probably too similar. :beaming:

Obviously potentially concerning right there, but to be fair I don't know what the other person had in mind. Maybe it was going to be super off the rails like the Jodorowsky movie was gonna be. So I am willing to give this a shot and see what reviews and such look like.
I doubt it would have been as different, since it was pitched as part of a larger universe from the get go, but you're right, technically we haven't seen anything from that version so maybe it wouldn't have fit Villeneuve's vision at all and maybe they were right to follow a different direction.

Still, the names of the replacements don't fill me with that much confidence either. Outside the director, the fact that the showrunner is Alison Schapker, who was also the showrunner for Altered Carbon season 2 is a bit worrisome, especially since they reversed course at the last minute script-wise, so she basically did script changes, it wasn't even her own vision. Also six episodes is a sweet number for a season but this is 100% because they went overbudget due to the troubled production and the long hiatus, so I worry how that's going to affect the final product as well.

I'm still looking forward to it and I'll definitely give it a chance, I liked the trailer and I love the universe, but this looks like a huge mess of a production so my expectations are very low at the moment.

To be fair, humanity and their technology having been stagnant for thousands of years is a big part of Dune lore. Though, I think the Bene Gesserit outfits are probably too similar. :beaming:

For sure and it remains to be seen what they're doing in the show itself to differentiate the time period. If they're following the Brian Herbert books closely, there's surely surprises ahead as far as House allegiances and politics go. My guess is it'll take elements from the books but largely go for its own thing.

You worked on “Dune: Prophecy” initially.
I was fiddling with that for a moment, but yeah, I’m not involved in that at all. At least, I think—I might still be an executive producer on it, but I’m not involved in it now.

It sounds like there were many things happening behind the scenes, a lot of changes in showrunners, and that kind of drama. Did that change your opinion of working in television at all?
No, I mean, no. I mean, this is what kind of happens sometimes. I’ve been through similar things before. Like I said before, I’m not tremendously interested in episodic television as a director. Anyway, it’s been many years since I was involved in that [show] in any shape or form. For example. I did a pilot, which is like ten years ago now, for a show on Netflix called “Bloodline,” which was like you’re part of setting something up. You’re part of it, but at the same time, the whole episodic TV thing is much more of a committee because you have a showrunner, you have the writers, you have the director, you have various producers, you have the network, and all the actors involved that are trying to find their putting in footing that may or may not go on for years, you know?

So, it’s a very different kind of apparatus than a film. And again, a limited series makes sense to me because there’s one director, I’m the director of it, the writer is the writer, and I do the A to Z in it. I understand that, but when it comes to that type of episodic television…

The reason I got involved to some extent with “Dune” was that I’m a massive fan of the David Lynch “Dune” movie, the original one from the eighties. I love that movie. It’s so absurd, bizarre, weird, dark, and twisted. So, for me, it was like, ‘Yeah, okay, if they’re doing a TV series, that would be interesting to see if they because what they said earlier on was like, “This doesn’t have to have anything to do with the movies, the [Denis] Villeneuve movies, this is its own animal, and we can do whatever we want with it,” so that’s where it started.

But as you said, there was a lot of stuff that was going on, but no one can be held responsible, or showrunners that got exchanged, and the original idea of the story completely changed course also because it used to be called, “Dune: Sisterhood,” and then it changed names and became a completely different thing. Again, that’s something that can happen in episodic TV, and it’s just like, either you are okay being in and functioning in that environment of that kind, but it never has been or will it be something for me.

Like, the Kessler brothers are friends of mine, and we had a good time making “Bloodline,” but at the same time, [TV] doesn’t fulfill me as much as I need it to because I don’t like doing something and then walking away from it and then some other people are going to start turning it into what they want to turn it into. And you have to be okay with that if you’re working in TV.

It sounds to me like Renck just didn't fit...

It looks much better than I thought. It'll be interesting to see where they are going with this and what kind of lore is going to be dropped.
I'm still of the mind that this was the complete wrong era to explore for a first tv series, I would have taken the House books and adapted them, started with something adjacent to what the movie audience knew from the movies.

I much prefer the idea of making it so far into the past, because they have a bigger sandbox to play in, it's stuff that we as viewers are not as familiar with from the movies, and more importantly, if it sucks it will be good for it to not have a more direct connection to the films.

I much prefer the idea of making it so far into the past, because they have a bigger sandbox to play in, it's stuff that we as viewers are not as familiar with from the movies, and more importantly, if it sucks it will be good for it to not have a more direct connection to the films.
I'm thinking the same thing. It seems like more of an "Appendices" to Dune than something more closely connected.

Looks solid. Was never expecting it to match the grandiosity or texture of Villeneuve and Fraser's work but this looks good.

Trailer looks good. I completely forgot about this one. Unless I missed it, it's nice that there hadn't been any leaks that slipped through the cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"