Dune

Casting a fat actor for the Baron is missing the point- both Gleeson and John Goodman are too thin, as they are fully capable of moving under their own power. The baron needs to be at least 450 lbs, or look 450 lbs. He can't support his own weight anymore.

You may as well put someone like Geoffrey Rush in a realistic fat suit.

What about the guy that did Pearl in Blade?

Haha, you know who that guy is? He's the big fat idiot from National Lampoon's Senior Trip.

No, I was using Geoffrey Rush as an example because I think he could play the part.

Casting a fat actor for the Baron is missing the point- both Gleeson and John Goodman are too thin, as they are fully capable of moving under their own power. The baron needs to be at least 450 lbs, or look 450 lbs. He can't support his own weight anymore.

You may as well put someone like Geoffrey Rush in a realistic fat suit.
OK, Brendan Gleeson in a fat suit then.

(I'd be fine with Rush too though, he is a great actor. And I really like Goodman but he might be too old now). Also Alfred Molina or Tom Wilkinson in a fat suit.

Hey guys, just finished reading the book, and thought I'd temporarily resurrect this thread with my own foolish casting ideas - some obvious, some a bit left field, but here we go.

Paul - Have to agree this should be a newcomer, or at least somebody who isn't too famous right now. Gonna leave this one blank.

Jessica - I know it's obvious but Cate Blanchett would really nail this role - can't imagine anyone more suited.

cate_blanchett_imagemag09_2.jpg

Also, she may be a bit young but I can imagine Angelina Jolie in the role as well. She's done some really good work in the past (notwithstanding things like Beowulf and Wanted).

Duke Leto Atreides - James Bond himself, Timothy Dalton.

Timothy-Dalton-Picture.jpg

Thufir Hawat - Pete Postlethwaite or Ben Kingsley I could see here.

ben-kingsley-prince-of-persia--26972.jpg
pete_postlethwaite.jpg

Gurney Halleck - Brendan Gleeson

tn2_brendan_gleeson_3.jpg

Liet-Kynes - William Fichtner

william_fichtner.jpg

Stilgar - Mark Strong

mark1.jpg

Just a few ideas.

When is this due to go into production? Cant wait for a new movie version of the book.

looks like one of those 'development in hell' projects that go no where.

It's like Tony Scott with his unneeded "Warriors" remake or Wolfgang Peterson's adaptation of "Ender's Game". They talk about it once in a while but nothing happens.

I think Stilgar should be played by Jean Reno.

Ugh... why the hell are they remaking The Warriors?

Id been thinking that this wasnt going forward when Berg started making all the Hancock comments and sure enough Berg is no longer on it.

http://forum.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3149
Brian wasn't at DragonCon. KJA and I were, though. And, yes, it is official: Peter Berg is no longer the director. Who will it be? We'll have to wait and see.

Personally Im kinda glad, wasnt really digging some of the comments Berg had made.

i swear..DUne is a LOST CAUSE. make another sci fi movie out of a book..

He may be too artsy . With a 175 million invesment , the studio is looking for something that is commercial. It's doubtful if Tarsem Singh can pull that off.

Also i doubt if Blomkomp is going to Dune. His experience with HALO has definatelt made with very wary of working with studio exec. and one of the reasons why he prefers to work with low budget movies is the freedom he gets when making HIS movies as opposed to something studios want.

He may be too artsy . With a 175 million invesment , the studio is looking for something that is commercial. It's doubtful if Tarsem Singh can pull that off.
First Alejandro Jodorowsky then David Lynch. Tarsem would just be a fitting follower.

I wouldn't mind Marshall or Blomkamp either.

I disagree, I think Tarsem is the right choice, he does a lot with a small budget, he'll make it visually rich and look intense and in a story as subtle as Dune where most of it is told not in dialog but in thought and the environment I think he's the right choice.

I disagree, I think Tarsem is the right choice, he does a lot with a small budget, he'll make it visually rich and look intense and in a story as subtle as Dune where most of it is told not in dialog but in thought and the environment I think he's the right choice.

You're describing Bryan Singer. I think he would do a great job. Yeah, I know the budget for SR was to big, maybe, but he did very well in that aspect with the X-Men movies.

Love the first movie, even if I can't understand it so well, lol. But something about it, the mystery and amazing visuals, the environment, the casting just blow my mind.

Would love to see a new big screen version.

Where in my description did you read Bryan Singer? I said Tarsem. I don't want that Hack Singer near another property I love after he royally screwed Superman.

Tarsem's a ****ing hack. The Cell was a piece of ****. He's the last guy I would want to make this movie.

You can't do something like the David Lynch movie. It needs to be less crazy and abstract and weird.

Neill Marshall is a decent director, but he's a b-movie director. Doomsday was cute little fun, but still looked like a direct to video B-movie flick.

Tarsem a hack? He's made two movies.
The Fall was one of my favorite movies last year.
It sounds like Paramount wants this to be a franchise starter anyway and I dont really see Tarsem aiming for general audience fare.
Ughhh to Marshall...I dont think he could handle the scope of Dune.

You can't put Tarsem with all his wannabe pop art crap and put have him do Dune which would be a huge freaking undertaking. I don't see why a studio would trust him with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"