Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson a comic fan, would love to play Luke Cage on film...

I really can't see him playing it. He's too much of a smiley, Disney channel actor. I think Idris Elba would be a great Cage. He looks like him, and has the toughness of him.
I think he really screwed himself by playing Heimdall in the MCU, when he could be playing bigger characters in that world.

Last edited:
I think he really screwed himself by playing Heimdall in the MCU, when he could be playing bigger characters in that world.

How did he "screw himself" by playing a lesser character?
Despite the inevitable fanboy beechin' about actors playing multiple roles ("but omg it's so CONFUSING :wow:"), Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds are living proof that you are NOT shackled to one character.

I could see The Rock as Luke Cage. The Rock's a big, buff, handsome, charismatic, trash talkin' black guy. Luke Cage is a big, buff, handsome, charismatic, trash talkin' black guy. Perfect fit!

Besides, The Rock is quite good at action films (The Rundown and The Scorpion King being two of my favorites). He can also do drama, when given the chance. There were some pretty emotional scenes in Walking Tall where he portrayed some pretty strong, deep emotions. I prefer the original late 70s/early 80s movie, but my point is the scenes between The Rock and his character's father or his nephew were pretty touching. So he has more emotional depth than most of you give him credit for.

Despite the inevitable fanboy beechin' about actors playing multiple roles ("but omg it's so CONFUSING :wow:"), Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds are living proof that you are NOT shackled to one character.
yeah, but there characters don't exist in the same franchise.

Sure, it's possible that he could play another character that exists in the same Cinematic Universe, but it's highly unlikely as it currently stands when it comes to the MCU. Which was my point to begin with.

He's a talented actor, and for him to be restricted to Heimdall, as opposed to a character that could have his own movie is a waste, IMO. He played the role of Heimdall well, and I hope that the character is developed more in Thor 2, but his talent is being wasted.

Dwayne's black enough. He got real life black experience, and he can get a tan for the haters. He's darker than me, and I assure you I am black enough for any black role there is.

Not only that, but he has the star power to not only make the movie happen, but to make it good, and expand the public consciousness about what is 'black' and what is 'urban.' In short, he's a black guy who has crossover appeal to the nines. To deny him his heritage because he doesn't play black roles is short sighted and counter productive to any useful cause.

"I just don't see it..." is a very old recourse for discrimination, iirc. I just don't see "I just don't see it..."

I want some action to happen on this ASAP.. after Journey 2 and GI Joe 2 opens up, Marvel should be proactive and sign him up for "something" Marvel-related, regardless... They'd be remiss to lose him to DC.. especially for the very iffy prospect of being a villain, Black Adam, in Shazam..

Oh, I'd rather see him do Black Adam, but who knows if DC will ever actually make that movie

Sure. Get the Rock to play Cage. If you don't have the intention of making anything more than a flop that is. If you don't have any more aspiration than the film being a laughing stock of every nerd.

Dwayne's black enough. He got real life black experience, and he can get a tan for the haters. He's darker than me, and I assure you I am black enough for any black role there is.

Not only that, but he has the star power to not only make the movie happen, but to make it good, and expand the public consciousness about what is 'black' and what is 'urban.' In short, he's a black guy who has crossover appeal to the nines. To deny him his heritage because he doesn't play black roles is short sighted and counter productive to any useful cause.

"I just don't see it..." is a very old recourse for discrimination, iirc. I just don't see "I just don't see it..."

Not quite sure what the bold part means. I mean he's Roadblock in that new GI Joe flick. I haven't seen all his movies so I can't say if they specify his race in them all, but for the most part in the ones I've seen they don't do that. So I'd say his characters in those movies are as black as he is.

rock if half black but me personally have always identified him as Samoan and he does look more Samoan than black

it would be like halle berry who is half white playing cat woman

oh wait:oldrazz:

I'd love to see Dwayne Johnson in any Marvel movie, really. The guy's just an incredibly entertaining actor. So if he wants to be Luke Cage then I say get cracking and sign him up, Marvel.

Not quite sure what the bold part means. I mean he's Roadblock in that new GI Joe flick. I haven't seen all his movies so I can't say if they specify his race in them all, but for the most part in the ones I've seen they don't do that. So I'd say his characters in those movies are as black as he is.

When I say black roles, I mean roles that are specifically written for black people, that black people are usually hired to play. Most starring roles are 'white' by default, and black actors and actresses are rarely, if ever, hired for them.

The Rock, for several reasons gets parts that are race-neutral, or specifically for white people. He even played a real life white guy in the Gridiron Gang. These are roles that other black people, even Denzel and Will, simply can't get. That's why the knee-jerk reaction tends to be 'he's not black enough for Luke Cage.' Roadblock is a first.

If Rock got tabbed to play LC I think he'd do fine. He has the physicality(6'5, 270) and anyone who knows anything about his days in wrestling knows he is a master trash-talker that I think would shine in a role like Power-Man.

Watch Faster, which was a good revenge action flick with him at the center and I think the "smiley disney actor" thing will go away pretty quick. he also has a bad-*** fight with vin diesel in fast five. His wrestling background gives him a nice leg up on the stunt side of things.

and if anyone saw Be Cool, you know Dwayne Johnson can totally rock the afro. Which I think would be great to see for a few minutes in the movie before he goes the more modern bald that we're used to seeing nowadays.

Other than the rock, terry crews would be a good fit too. It will be an interesting debate before and after they finally cast LC.

When I say black roles, I mean roles that are specifically written for black people, that black people are usually hired to play. Most starring roles are 'white' by default, and black actors and actresses are rarely, if ever, hired for them.

The Rock, for several reasons gets parts that are race-neutral, or specifically for white people. He even played a real life white guy in the Gridiron Gang. These are roles that other black people, even Denzel and Will, simply can't get. That's why the knee-jerk reaction tends to be 'he's not black enough for Luke Cage.' Roadblock is a first.

And Charley Pride is a second. ;) (Rock is supposed to be starring as the black country singer in an upcoming biopic.)

But yeah, no. Terry Crews is Luke Cage. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Y'know, somehow I know who Charley Pride is, despite never hearing his music.

The only reason I wouldn't cast Crews is because it's too easy. It's easier than casting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury!

He even played a real life white guy in the Gridiron Gang.

Maybe the guy the movie is based on is white, but his character in that movie had a black mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"