General Trek Talk Economics of Star Trek

Kritish

Avenger
Reaction score
I've heard them say many a time that there's no money on Earth in the future. I'd personally be willing to work in star fleet for free but there's a lot of still crappy jobs left for people to do. Why would people be willing to work for free? Did some people just sit around in there homes and grow fat from ordering replicated food all day?

watch star trek first contact, and you'll get your answer

Superfreak said:
watch star trek first contact, and you'll get your answer

exactly lol thats my fav of all the movies that feature tng crew but in the movie Picard states that humans are no longer driven toward obtaining wealth that they live to better themselves and their understanding of the universe which is how the world needs to be anyways instead of people just caring about money and power

Kritish said:
I've heard them say many a time that there's no money on Earth in the future. I'd personally be willing to work in star fleet for free but there's a lot of still crappy jobs left for people to do. Why would people be willing to work for free? Did some people just sit around in there homes and grow fat from ordering replicated food all day?
Well a fair bunch of "crappy jobs" are only crappy because they don't pay well. Or they just don't appeal to you. But the worst of worst jobs could be done via machines or automation. And you'd only need a guy manning the console to make sure nothing breaks. Take away money and a huge number of crappy jobs aren't crappy anymore. Take away money and more than a few people are free to persue the path in life that really makes them happy. That's what the economy of earth and the federation is based on. Where the contribution that an indiviual wants to /can make has no $ attached to it.

Eklypze said:
exactly lol thats my fav of all the movies that feature tng crew but in the movie Picard states that humans are no longer driven toward obtaining wealth that they live to better themselves and their understanding of the universe which is how the world needs to be anyways instead of people just caring about money and power

That'd be such a cool world.
I'd join Starfleet for the bad place of it.

Sorry, I think people would spend their lives hanging out in holodecks and growing fat due to replicators.

Kritish said:
Sorry, I think people would spend their lives hanging out in holodecks

Seriously. I would live in that thing day in and day out. Why live out a life as a regular average joe when you could be literally anyone you could think of.

in that world, it's just a fantasy... I'd rather live reality in Starfleet than a fantasy in a holodeck for the rest of my life.

I think anybody who's not in Starfleet just sits around all day and blogs until the next Xindi/Borg attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"