Education... Must get a degree? Or... Happy w/ no degree working way up ladder?

\S/JcDc\S/

Superhero
Reaction score
Do you concede that no degree = no future? Or do you think that after highschool you won't further yourself and just plan on working up through a company?

Discuss

No degree= no future is one of the biggest crocks of **** that a lot of people fear because its pounded into our brains since 6th grade on that if you don't do good now then later you will die poor and alone.

I was forced to get a degree (parents), but make a living doing commercials basically now. However if the cash flow ends on that which it has come close wayyyy to many times... I do at least have that paper to fall back on and possibly increase chance of a job if needed. Degree if anything=back up plan imo.

Do you concede that no degree = no future? Or do you think that after highschool you won't further yourself and just plan on working up through a company?

Discuss

It doesn't mean no future, but it does put you at a distinct disadvantage in the eyes of many/most employers.

even a degree these days doesnt guarantee sucess.

I pondered going to college, but decided it wasn't worth paying for it for the rest of my life.

the amounts some people owe after college are astronomical , i was reading an article about this couple that had to set up a plan to pay their funds off and it was an amount i couldnt make in a year salary.

It really depends on what you're going to do with your life. A college degree won't do someone who's going to be a journeyman plumber much good, unless they get a business degree with the intention of opening up their own plumbing service on a large scale after they learn the trade, as an example. There is training, licensing and accreditation for most career paths that will enable someone to make a decent living, though. There are also plenty of examples of self-made millionaires out there that only have high school diplomas as well. The average employer in most fields in the country, however, prefer at least a Bachelor's degree of some sort to get your foot in the door. There are also a hell of a lot of people with Master's or MBA's runnings around these days, though I've not seen too many people that degree has ultimately made a HUGE difference for in terms of salary and career trajectory. I've seen plenty of people with B.A.'s win jobs that people with MBA's were also competing for due to expertise and experience (I've done it myself, actually).

Bottom line; in most instances, having a degree will give you an advantage in most hiring situations and in some instances it may get you an interview where you otherwise would not.

jag

I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with your life. And I'm not talking about what you think is best, but on what you really wish you could do.

If you want to help people and you have a vocation be it in teaching or in medicine, a degree is needed, but if it just plain success without actually doing something specific, I guess only your wits can save you.

I want to get into research or work on something along the lines, so bioengineering is what I think would help me more. I'm a scientist by nature... I need a degree to get far, although the school wouldn't matter much, as long as it's a good school... in the end, your work will talk for you, right?

Corinthian™;13475829 said:
I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with your life. And I'm not talking about what you think is best, but on what you really wish you could do.

If you want to help people and you have a vocation be it in teaching or in medicine, a degree is needed, but if it just plain success without actually doing something specific, I guess only your wits can save you.

I want to get into research or work on something along the lines, so bioengineering is what I think would help me more. I'm a scientist by nature... I need a degree to get far, although the school wouldn't matter much, as long as it's a good school... in the end, your work will talk for you, right?

Sort of. Do a shoddy job and you won't be getting many job offers. BUT...WHO you know and how expansive your network of friends, mentors and colleagues is just as important in most companies and communities as your degree or your work experience and quality. It's how most jobs are gotten. :up:

jag

I don't know... I have B.A. but it seems everyone does these days. Almost like the MBA. is the new B.A. :o

Sort of. Do a shoddy job and you won't be getting many job offers. BUT...WHO you know and how expansive your network of friends, mentors and colleagues is just as important in most companies and communities as your degree or your work experience and quality. It's how most jobs are gotten. :up:

jag

Very good point. Education plays a far less vital role in employment opportunity than a solid work ethic and a willingness to learn. As someone who routinely hires developers, I have hired, and will continue to hire, people who are self-starters, positive, and who are motivated. Also, for the most part (obviously there are always exceptions) I tend to hire people who have been in the military over and above people right out of college. Many kids out of college have entitlement attitudes as though, because of their degrees, they perceive themselves as being more valuable than those without college degrees. This topic also comes up during some interviews, and I can't tell you how many of them are surprised when I respond with a big NOT SO.

Of course, it all depends on what you want. Many corporations these days require degrees. However, if you can prove that you've got the equivelant experience, most large corporations will see that as FAR more valuable.

Very good point. Education plays a far less vital role in employment opportunity than a solid work ethic and a willingness to learn. As someone who routinely hires developers, I have and will continue to hire people who are self-starters and who are motivated. Also, for the most part (obviously there are always exceptions) I would hire someone who's been in the military before I'd hire someone right out of college.

I don't know... I hate to sound like a snob but a lot of times I can tell when talking with someone (not on the internet so much) if they have education beyond highschool. There is a difference from not just obtaining the degree but socially imo.

I don't know... I hate to sound like a snob but a lot of times I can tell when talking with someone (not on the internet so much) if they have education beyond highschool. There is a difference from not just obtaining the degree but socially imo.

Depends on their history. Someone who was in the military came from a solid social background, as well. Some of the most eloquent and articulate people I've met have been both from college and from the military. I mean, if you're 25 and the only thing you've done with your life is work at a Wal-Mart, you may have problems finding a white collar job.

Depends on their history. Someone who was in the military came from a solid social background, as well. Some of the most eloquent and articulate people I've met have been both from college and from the military. I mean, if you're 25 and the only thing you've done with your life is work at a Wal-Mart, you may have problems finding a white collar job.

True. I don't mean to discount military. Just saying in general there is a bit of difference I've noticed from those that lack an education. Again, I'm not saying I'm any better because of a degree... Just saying there is a difference.

The best way it was described to me, was through an ex-girlfriends dad.

I was 19 working at a YMCA, with kids. I still work with kids, and am quite good at it. Upon turning 20, my boss hinted that I could work my way "up the ladder," as the thread maker put it. However, he also stated another business-slang: "glass ceiling."

Back to the ex's dad:
When I asked Bill, or told him, can't really remember, he said (paraphrased), "a degree, that piece of paper, does only one thing: it says to your future employers, 'that I stuck it out.' That degree, and sticking it out will get your foot in the door alot faster than the fellow who just has experience. With your experience, and a degree, you will not find a "glass ceiling."

It made sense.

So I went back four years later. :D

I don't know... I have B.A. but it seems everyone does these days. Almost like the MBA. is the new B.A. :o
I have a BA. I can honestly say I don't think I really earnt it doing just 8 hours a week for 3 years when I know people who did 24 hours a week and also got a BA.

A lot of degrees are basically useless, so it depends on what you want to do. But I don't think working your way up in a company is any guarantee to success, either. I'd prefer being self employed, to that.

It has less to do with the actual degree and more to do with the contacts that you make at the university level. NYU isn't more expensive because of the quality of the degree or what you can learn there, it's more expensive because it has more contacts with more industries than other schools.

Getting a Masters in Civil Engineering, would essentially pigeon hold me into a field. I'd be better getting a MBA. But I have my Professional Engineering License, and I'm working towards a Municipal Engineering Certification, so I think I'm good. :up:

Having a degree and success depends on a LOT of different factors besides a piece of accreditation.

If you want to be a doctor, a pharmacist...then I think we all can agree that trusting your best friend who is a plumber to do your lipo is a bad idea. There are some professions that absolutely need a degree and a certain amount of training.

But that doesn't mean being successful (money wise). Look at the list of the richest people in the world most of them are dropouts. College has a way for some people of draining them of their most creative and productive years because most degrees require wasting time on unnecessary classes that they'd NEVER use in their careers. For instance, I've NEVER used Calc 1 or 2 in grad school. Hell anything above 9+8 and we use our fingers! :p

Most people that go to college don't actually need to be there, it's a waste of time for them. They either won't ever use the degree they get, or the career they go for will have some sort of training that will prepare them for the work. Let's face it, this country brain washes everyone into thinking they have to go to college, when it's simply not true.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase 'but I have a college degree in blah blah, I should be able to understand this'. Yet they don't understand because a college degree means dick if you don't have common sense, or if you're a dumbass to begin with.

Many in America have no choice but to get a degree now.Because it's so competitive,you could hear your parents say that when they were younger..all they needed was their High School Diploma,or even nothing and they got good jobs.I don't know why things have changed so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"