Elementary - CBS's Modern Take on Sherlock

Crockett

With Teeth
Reaction score
A modern take from CBS this time in which Sherlock is solving cases in New York, they've finally found its lead and it's Jonny Lee Miller.

CBS’s Sherlock Holmes reboot Elementary has solved its first big mystery — who will play the famous detective. Former Eli Stone star Jonny Lee Miller has been tapped as the lead of the project, a modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes who now lives in New York City.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/jonny-lee-miller-to-play-sherlock-holmes-in-cbs-pilot-elementary/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Michael Cuesta who've directed a few episodes of Homeland & Dexter is directing the pilot. You know, I'm a bit skeptic but then again so was I when Moffat and Gatiss did their modern take on Sherlock. However since it's so recent that the second series ended with good reception that I feel like this is riding on the show's coattails. Time will tell how this turns out but at least they got a good actor for Sherlock.

Yeah, to be honest I'm fairly annoyed CBS is so blatantly ripping off Sherlock. And to be honest, I really doubt this TV show will be as good as Sherlock, because that TV series is one of the best I've seen in a long time. I'll probably still catch a few episodes of this, because I love Holmes as a character, but it's just annoying.

I would have much preferred it had CBS struck a deal with BBC so they could air Sherlock, and possibly pitch in to produce more episodes. And honestly, we already have an American Sherlock. It's call House.

Yup...I'll bet you anything it's going to feel like CSI or some version of that. It won't have that distinctive feel of the BBC version...it'll likely just be your typical american crime show with a guy that just happens to be really smart.

I think it's unnecessary to create a new show right that's similar right after a successful one but since it is Sherlock Homes I'm willing to give it a benefit of a doubt, and I like JLM so I'm curious to see his interpretation of Sherlock. Hopefully they can go to a direction that's different even though it has the same concept, but it's going to be tough to reach the same bar of excellency as BBC's Sherlock.

Okay, while having a modern Sherlock Holmes isn't exactly a novel idea, this does seem like a rather shameless attempt to cash in on Sherlock's fame.

Congrats CBS, you're now TV's Asylum.

I have one question, why?

And I want an answer other than: money.

Yes, because how dare a network want to make money to stay afloat.

Never seen the guy act, but he at least looks like a good fit.

Son of a *****.....now I have to watch it because I love JLM. Damn you CBS...couldn't you have picked an awful actor?

Even though I doubt it will be as good as the BBC series, I'm still curious to see this. Miller as Sherlock seems like a perfect fit and I'm eager to find out who will be playing Dr. Watson.

I actually applied for a job last week at the show's production office. I hope I hear back from them.

As a Sherlock fanboy I think their can never be too many versions of this character.

Here is to hoping they do something drastically different so it doesn't feel like the BBC show with different actors.

EDIT: I need to learn how to read :doh:.

Last edited:
"We believe this modern twist will appeal to viewers."

This is the part that kills me. They act like putting a "modern twist" on the stories somehow makes their show unique (hence justifying its existence), even though that concept is the very foundation of BBC's version. Whoever issued that statement should be fired. That did absolutely nothing to help their case.

An INTELLIGENT person would have noted that while the two series share the same concept, what will ultimately differentiate them is the change in culture - which should yield different character dynamics. It's still a lame excuse to remake a successful series, but at least that rationality has the benefit of some truth to it. American culture is, after all, very different to British culture.

Johnny Lee Miller is a very good actor, and I'm intrigued by the idea of him playing Holmes, but I have to admit that I laughed hard when I read the news. I can just hear how that conversation went.

Exec 1: So who should we cast as Sherlock in our rema-... adaptation? Obviously, we need to distance our project as far from the BBC series as possible. They're just looking for an excuse to sue the **** out of us.

Exec 2: Well, we can't have Cumberbatch, so how about the guy he shared roles with in Danny Boyle's production of Frankenstein? It'd be pretty much like casting the same person.

Exec 1: Works for me. Now find out if Martin Freeman has ever shared roles with anyone.

"We believe this modern twist will appeal to viewers."

This is the part that kills me. They act like putting a "modern twist" on the stories somehow makes their show unique (hence justifying its existence), even though that concept is the very foundation of BBC's version. Whoever issued that statement should be fired. That did absolutely nothing to help their case.

An INTELLIGENT person would have noted that while the two series share the same concept, what will ultimately differentiate them is the change in culture - which should yield different character dynamics. It's still a lame excuse to remake a successful series, but at least that rationality has the benefit of some truth to it. American culture is, after all, very different to British culture.

Johnny Lee Miller is a very good actor, and I'm intrigued by the idea of him playing Holmes, but I have to admit that I laughed hard when I read the news. I can just hear how that conversation went.

Exec 1: So who should we cast as Sherlock in our rema-... adaptation? Obviously, we need to distance our project as far from the BBC series as possible. They're just looking for an excuse to sue the **** out of us.

Exec 2: Well, we can't have Cumberbatch, so how about the guy he shared roles with in Danny Boyle's production of Frankenstein? It'd be pretty much like casting the same person.

Exec 1: Works for me. Now find out if Martin Freeman has ever shared roles with anyone.

Every American knows that the BBC and its shows do not actually exist. Silly!

"Quick! Phone up Krasinski before he signs on for more whale movies and Esurance commercials!"

Making money is fine, just show a little originality.

Yes, because constantly using Holmes across tv, books, and film hasn't been done before...

This is just another vision of the character. It's not different from what has been done before. Except *gasp* it's Americanized.

Yes, because constantly using Holmes across tv, books, and film hasn't been done before...

This is just another vision of the character. It's not different from what has been done before. Except *gasp* it's Americanized.

It being Americanized is fine. The blatant copying of Sherlock is what annoys me. I enjoy seeing new spins on Holmes. I love House, I love the RDJ interpretation, I loved Monk (more inspired by Holmes then a direct interpretation), but this is quite clearly copying Sherlock because Sherlock is doing well. And it is somewhat annoying. Especially since I have very little faith it can do the Modern Holmes interpretation as well as Sherlock.

So basically, why would I want to watch a show with the same concept as another, if there's already a show that's currently running that will probably be better?

Now, if they decide to add their own element to it, that's fine. I personally hope that they try something different from Sherlock.

Well, I'm fairly certain Sherlock isn't the first series to set Sherlock Holmes in the "present". I recall a cartoon that placed him in the future. But, the timing makes it rather obvious that this is just an attempt to cash in on Sherlock's success. Which is just lazy.

Well, I'm fairly certain Sherlock isn't the first series to set Sherlock Holmes in the "present". I recall a cartoon that placed him in the future. But, the timing makes it rather obvious that this is just an attempt to cash in on Sherlock's success. Which is just lazy.

I remember that as well:woot: But yeah, it's pretty obvious the attempt is to copy Sherlock. But I honestly hope they approach it from it a different angle, because if they try to simply do the modern Sherlock, I would bet money it won't be as good as Sherlock.

It's too bad. They could have tried a new angle. Heck, do a modern young Sherlock Holmes. Imagine what a college age Sherlock Holmes would have been like. Heck, imagine trying to dorm with him. That would be hell.