• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eli Roth's Trailer Trash

and it's not just LOTR... it's king kong, too.

god that movie was long and boring.

i did like the frighteners, though... and dead alive, too.

Kong had a great movie in it. Jackson however ruined it with his own self induldgence by not editting anything. If you cut an hour off of the movie, it is brilliant...however there were so many pointless subplots. The cabin boy and the first mate's relationship, way too much time spent on the island, the movie hero becoming a real hero, Denham's assistant slowly turning on him, etc.

If you cut it down to Denham finds Ann, Denham uses Ann for movie, Ann rides on boat, meets Jack, natives kidnap Ann, sacrifice her to Kong, Kong kidnaps Ann, sailors save Ann (without coming afoul giant insects, stampeding dinosaurs, etc), Denham captures Kong, Kong displayed in New York, Kong breaks free, causes chaos, kidnaps Ann, climbs Empire State Building, shot off it, dies and you have a brilliant hour and a half movie (and I am aware of the irony of me saying the movie is too long when I just made the world's biggest sentence).

But yeah, the biggest problem with Kong is that Jackson took a story that only required an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes (the original was an hour and 44 minutes) and stretched it out to no end with ridiculously corny, cliche subplots.

It's an interesting idea... I guess. I'm not much of a Roth fan though. I thought Hostel was terrible.

I dig Roth a lot. Sue me. :o

Roth is a hack. He makes a movie with absolutely no subtext that is ridiculously violent (and violence in a movie is not bad, but violence for the sake of violence is. Violence only works when it adds to the plot). Then afterwards he will go to an interview and be like "It was to show how cruel man really is," even though there is absolutely nothing in the movie even close to that. His movies are made strictly to fulfill his little sadomachoism fantasies.

Roth is a hack. He makes a movie with absolutely no subtext that is ridiculously violent (and violence in a movie is not bad, but violence for the sake of violence is. Violence only works when it adds to the plot). Then afterwards he will go to an interview and be like "It was to show how cruel man really is," even though there is absolutely nothing in the movie even close to that. His movies are made strictly to fulfill his little sadomachoism fantasies.

Some people out there like and enjoy gore flicks, that type of horror film. He makes them obviously because he enjoys them as well. He should know just because it's in the genre of horror alone it won't make mega millions, so to me that says he's a fan.

I'm a big horror fan and think their cool as one time watchers. Same with the Saw series. It's just the constant revolution in life, we had the multiple sequels with all the slasher films in the late 70's/80's.

So for those who are sick of these movies...they'll burn out in the near future.

I can understand why some people hate these films because their isn't any 'subtext' or underlining themes but I've always watched these types of horror films for the gore/effects. I think it's fun to see how well they made it look and how they pulled it off.

Growing up watching horror films from all decades it's fun for me to see how non CGI effects have grown and evolved over the years.

Some people out there like and enjoy gore flicks, that type of horror film. He makes them obviously because he enjoys them as well. He should know just because it's in the genre of horror alone it won't make mega millions, so to me that says he's a fan.

I'm a big horror fan and think their cool as one time watchers. Same with the Saw series. It's just the constant revolution in life, we had the multiple sequels with all the slasher films in the late 70's/80's.

So for those who are sick of these movies...they'll burn out in the near future.

I can understand why some people hate these films because their isn't any 'subtext' or underlining themes but I've always watched these types of horror films for the gore/effects. I think it's fun to see how well they made it look and how they pulled it off.

Growing up watching horror films from all decades it's fun for me to see how non CGI effects have grown and evolved over the years.

I've watched and enjoyed many-a-slasher films in my day. My problem with Roth isn't the movies, per say (though they do suck compared to real slasher classics). It is HIM that bothers me. There is no artistic value behind his movies yet he tries to get up on a soap box and preach about the deep artistic social commentary of them. That is what bothers me.

I've watched and enjoyed many-a-slasher films in my day. My problem with Roth isn't the movies, per say (though they do suck compared to real slasher classics). It is HIM that bothers me. There is no artistic value behind his movies yet he tries to get up on a soap box and preach about the deep artistic social commentary of them. That is what bothers me.

I see, well I haven't read any interviews from him before. I'm not that big of a fan.

Like I said in my previous post I think they're all right as one time watchers.

The Tarantino effect. THey get so excited over their own movies they overhyped them single-handedly.

I'll always defend Tarantino, but Roth is a guilty pleasure, no doubt about it. The gore is always excellent, but theres nothing there that makes me want to have repeat viewings.

Although last year when he made Hostel 2 and he definitely got ahead of himself as far as scope, he got real high on the soapbox and pulled a Michale Bay and started blaming online pirates for his films low box office, which is BS. I only ask that filmmakers take responsibility when they make a dud.

The Tarantino effect. THey get so excited over their own movies they overhyped them single-handedly.

I'll always defend Tarantino, but Roth is a guilty pleasure, no doubt about it. The gore is always excellent, but theres nothing there that makes me want to have repeat viewings.

Although last year when he made Hostel 2 and he definitely got ahead of himself as far as scope, he got real high on the soapbox and pulled a Michale Bay and started blaming online pirates for his films low box office, which is BS. I only ask that filmmakers take responsibility when they make a dud.
Well he did have a legit reason. the film was released a few weeks in advance. As the online movie goers see it why pay for a movie you have to wait a few weeks to see in the theaters or download and watch it now for free,

I'm a fan of his Films as well, like I said before they just those movies you watch but don't really think about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"