Elizabeth: The Golden Age

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://joblo.com/index.php?id=8492
Source: Variety by: Mike Sampson

There are a lot of movies out there that I fully expect sequels to like FANTASTIC FOUR, WEDDING CRASHERS...pretty much any film that made anyone any money this year. But I don't think I was expecting the news that ELIZABETH, the Cate Blanchett starring biopic of Queen Elizabeth, would be sequelized but here we are. Blanchett has signed on to reprise her role and will be joined by Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen, who will play Sir Walter Raleigh. Rush will return as Francis Walsingham. The original film was nominated for seven Oscars including Best Actress for Blanchett. They've titled this film THE GOLDEN AGE, which isn't nearly as good as adding a catchy marketing gimmick to the title like ELIZABETH 2: THE RECKONING or ELIZABETH 2: LIZZIE'S BACK! or ELIZABETH 2; FULL THROTTLE. Maybe they can do two sequels back-to-back for the ELIZABETH trilogy and have the third one be ELIZABETH 3-D. OK enough of the bad jokes. Director Shekhar Kapur will return as well and will begin production next April. Blanchett recently wrapped filming on BABEL with Brad Pitt and Owen is prepping the sci-fi thriller CHILDREN OF MEN with Julianne Moore.

Personally, I loved the first movie. I still to this day believed Blanchett was robbed, robbed I tell you, of the Oscar for best actress for her portrayal.

i agree with you green 101%.

i'm glad that they're making a sequel. if any topic that should be made into a trilogy its her story. she's one of the greatest leaders of modern history.

Nice ! :up:

I liked the movie and Queen Elizabeth is an interesting enough character to justify another movie.

Though it might suck if Cate Blanchett looks the entire movie like she did at the end of Elizabeth.

6.30.jpg

Yeesh ! :eek:

MrScissorhands said:

I liked the movie and Queen Elizabeth is an interesting enough character to justify another movie.

Though it might suck if Cate Blanchett looks the entire movie like she did at the end of Elizabeth.
well, if Elizabeth is to talk to anybody outside her chambers she would definitely look like that. unless of course they would tackle some flashbacks from her youth (the years depicted in "Elizabeth") but that shouldnt be too much-- heck we had a whole movie dedicated to her youth. this next flick should show how she turned England into a superpower and humbled the Spanish armada.

jaguarr said:

hmm, interesting indeed.

well, if they're offering the pretty much the same salary she got when she did the first film they should be ashamed of themselves. Blanchett's an Oscar award winning actress now and has starred in countless other films that have made waves with the critics and at the box office.

Hmmm Moviehole or Variety? Who do you trust?

Anyone have access to the actual Herald Sun interview Moviehole is talking about?

Steelsheen said:
... and humbled the Spanish armada.

I believe meteorology, not Elizabeth was responsible for the demise of the Spanish armada

Cool, I loved the first movie. Cate did an exceptional job but I still think Paltrow desereved the Oscar:p

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this:up:

MrScissorhands said:

6.30.jpg

Yeesh ! :eek:
Well face it, Queen Elizabeth actually did look this way:o I think its a near perfect resemblance :D

Kmack said:
Cool, I loved the first movie. Cate did an exceptional job but I still think Paltrow desereved the Oscar:p

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this:up:
Blasphemy!! Paltrow is massively overrated and extremely annoying.

green said:
Personally, I loved the first movie. I still to this day believed Blanchett was robbed, robbed I tell you, of the Oscar for best actress for her portrayal.

She was robbed indeed, she definitely deserved the Oscar.

Superfreak said:
I believe meteorology, not Elizabeth was responsible for the demise of the Spanish armada
true. but you gotta hand it to her, she was the only one at that time who had the balls to stand up to them.

Cate Blanchett is leaving fans guessing about her regal return as British queen Elizabeth I after insisting industry reports about a sequel to the hit 1998 movie Elizabeth are untrue. The actress has reportedly signed up to play the flame-haired queen in Elizabeth: The Golden Age, but comments she made yesterday in Australia's Herald Sun might give producers pause for thought. She says, "I'm really good friends with Shekhar Kapur (director) and he's forever saying he's going to do this movie or that movie and I think there was talk about it. There's so much there if it were to happen, but my initial instinct is, why (make it)?" Hollywood's top trade magazines report the sequel would co-star Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen and start shooting in April.

source: http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-09-02/#3

Hmm, interesting. I personally am suprised they aren't calling it 2 Eliza 2 Beth.

jaguarr said:
Paltrow? :confused:

jag
In reference to the fact that Cate Blancette was robbed of her Oscar. Gwyneth(Sp) Paltrow didn't deserve it.

Set pics...not much though.

ga07JUN2006_006.jpg

ga07JUN2006_002.jpg

ga07JUN2006_008.jpg

****, that damn Shakespeare in Love shouldn't have won ****, Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture and Cate should have won Best Actress. Shakespeare in Love was one goddamn overrated piece of ****. Goddamn Academy Award Popularity Contest ****.

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1607
From Showest
The sequel to the Cate Blanchett period piece Elizabeth, Elizabeth : The Golden Age looked great as well. Not having seen the first Elizabeth, I am looking forward to this one. Blanchett dressed in full armor racing off on a horse to fight the Spanish Armada was amazing. Plus, it's got Clive Owen!

new stills
ga.jpg

ga1.jpg

ga2.jpg

Anyone know if Sir Francis Drake is gonna be in the film?
I hope he is, he was there "fighting" the Spanish Armada.
If they do it right, the fight with the Armada could be an amazing sequence on film.

Anyone know if Sir Francis Drake is gonna be in the film?
I hope he is, he was there "fighting" the Spanish Armada.
If they do it right, the fight with the Armada could be an amazing sequence on film.

I dont think he is Speedball, but Im not certain.

Anyway it's screened and I expect we will see Cate at the Oscars again this year, hopefully she can be awarded for her work this time, it would be cool seeing as it is the same role.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31914
I attended the screening of The Golden Age in Sherman Oaks this eve...and what I saw is basically a really good movie with a few drawbacks - some fixable, some unfortunately not - so listen up filmmakers!

This is the sequel to ELIZABETH -- probably 20 years on from that story?...and Queen Liz has gotten older and still has no man in her bed! This is now a major issue amongst the peeps of England (who call her still The Virgin Queen)....and boiling up as an issue for King Phillip of Spain who is conquering all of Europe in his Holy War but yet to get the one holdout - England. He's waiting for the Queen's prisoner - er, 'guest of the Palace', Mary Queen of Scots (Samantha Morton) , to be killed to use that as an excuse to attack - wherein he can 'remove' Liz: that "Godless, Childless Wench" or some such biz...but I digress.

The major story is that Liz is feeling old, with all the young, hot chick handmaidens around her getting laid. So there's this big push for her to meet other Kings to mate (wasn't that the plot to the first one?)..anyway, she lays eyes on (as yet to be named 'Sir') Walter Raleigh who's just come from 'the New World' and needs more $$$ to start a colony - Virginia - there.

So here's the deal: I dig these types of movies....I just spent all wkend watching 'Barbarian Weekend' on the history channel after seeing 300 on Fri....I loved the first Elizabeth and really, honestly - this one I would say is equally as good. God Bless Helen Mirren but I'd say that Cate Blanchett gives her a run for her money in the first Elizabeth - and now REALLY in The Golden Age.
Elizabeth in this is older, more weary. Stern but fair - in short a tough *****. Blanchett's at the top of her game these days and playing the Queen of England is what this chick was born to do -- she digs far in and is just so watchable - I mean, she's always watchable but at last she's a LEAD again (after a year of supporting crap) so we get enough of her. She actually lifts the movie when she's onscreen. There's an assasination attempt on her life which is played so against what is expected that it took me a minute to figure out what just transpired but I appreciated it being so different. She has such a cool. dramatic, different reaction...goosebumps.

But......Alas......Ahhhh....time for my GRIPE. Clive Owen. Miscast.....misplaced...misinterpreted. I don't much like this guy anyway -- always playing thuggish in these artsy movies - but he's just not period. Let alone Walter Raleigh. I never believed that Liz would be so taken with such a charmless man....one thing I'll say is that he seems so shallow to me that you could never really trust the character's intentions - which lays out in the plot. Whether that was on purpose or not I don't know but luckily its the Queen's movie so while there's no way around his being the love interest, maybe they could cut him down.

Samantha Morton is quite good as Mary Queen of Scots - actually coming off as a young upstart rival for Queen Liz. She's basically in only the first half but is memorably ferocious and I cannot say I've been able to say that about her before.

But before I forget -- dare I say it!! - this movie is eerily reminiscent of a certain Prez and his hard on for the Middle East....Spain is painted as this hypocrite power that will only fight a 'just' war under God and manufactures all sorts of schemes (namely a treasonous one with Mary Queen of Scots that gets her beheaded)....to
create a "proper" reason to go to war. So when Mary bites it - they cut to the Spaniards who are basically celebrating while writing letters of outrage - great stuff.

Anyway - I think you get the picture...to be fair - this is probably Paramount's big awards season movie for next fall and they have the goods here. The Clive factor is a problem but I can certainly name a few past Best Picture winners with major flaws. There can never be too many historical pictures that are actually studio releases - so let's support them.

If you use this call me Smartass.

I think this person just has a thing against Owen. Other reports from the screening are saying his performance is fantastic.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070418r.php
"Elizabeth" Sequel Trailer Description
By Garth FranklinWednesday April 18th 2007 12:23am
I didn't post a 'most-anticipated' list this year but if I had, the upcoming sequel to 1998's brilliant but often overlooked masterpiece "Elizabeth" would be right up there.

Now, the first trailer for the film has snuck its way onto Youtube this morning - and not surprisingly was quickly yanked by the studio.

Shame as it looks great. From Cate Blanchett's fiery monologue which sends chills down the spine to some beautiful shots of the Spanish armada in full force, the story covers Queen Elizabeth's most famous victory on the battlefield and hints at a more epic scope than the original. Amongst the shots glimpsed:

- Silhouettes of cardinals walking behind a giant English flag

- Dozens of ships in fog firing cannons

- Elizabeth consults Walsingham (Geoffrey Rush). She says "This Spanish armada is at sea with an army of... 10,000 men?" to which he responds "Their combined strength will overwhelm us."

- A distraught Elizabeth consults an elderly man who offers the advice "When the storm breaks, some are dumb with terror and some spread their wings like eagles and soar."

- Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen) introduces himself, the Queen dressed in yellow and wearing a huge floral headdress mockingly says "well well" and shoots a knowing look to a blond woman (Abbie Cornish).

- A scene with the Queen, in her full white garb, being held at gunpoint. Cuts to a gunman (Rhys Ifans) shooting, back to the Queen who graphically flinches and hands tremble.

- The big scene of the trailer has the Queen confronting a Spanish messenger, with quick cuts of other shots such as the Spanish palace. She says "Tell Philip. I fear neither him, nor his armies." The messenger says "There is a wind coming that will sweep away your pride" to which she shouts in response "I too can command the wind, sir. I have a hurricane in me that will strip Spain bare."

- Another close-up shot of the Spanish armada, really quite beautiful and gives a sense of the scale of these ships.

- What looks to be Samantha Morton putting her head on an executioner's block.

- A very LOTR/Braveheart-esque scene of the Queen in armor on horseback giving a speech to her forces - "Let them come with the armies of hell, they will not pass."

- Elizabeth in a giant dress bathed in sunlight as the camera revolves around her and then above her looking down on her standing on a giant floormap of England and Ireland.

- Finally the title which is officially listed as "Elizabeth: The Golden Age".

Sounds fantastic.:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"