Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by green, Sep 1, 2005.

1. green

green fear is the mind killer

http://joblo.com/index.php?id=8492
    Source: Variety by: Mike Sampson

There are a lot of movies out there that I fully expect sequels to like FANTASTIC FOUR, WEDDING CRASHERS...pretty much any film that made anyone any money this year. But I don't think I was expecting the news that ELIZABETH, the Cate Blanchett starring biopic of Queen Elizabeth, would be sequelized but here we are. Blanchett has signed on to reprise her role and will be joined by Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen, who will play Sir Walter Raleigh. Rush will return as Francis Walsingham. The original film was nominated for seven Oscars including Best Actress for Blanchett. They've titled this film THE GOLDEN AGE, which isn't nearly as good as adding a catchy marketing gimmick to the title like ELIZABETH 2: THE RECKONING or ELIZABETH 2: LIZZIE'S BACK! or ELIZABETH 2; FULL THROTTLE. Maybe they can do two sequels back-to-back for the ELIZABETH trilogy and have the third one be ELIZABETH 3-D. OK enough of the bad jokes. Director Shekhar Kapur will return as well and will begin production next April. Blanchett recently wrapped filming on BABEL with Brad Pitt and Owen is prepping the sci-fi thriller CHILDREN OF MEN with Julianne Moore.

Personally, I loved the first movie. I still to this day believed Blanchett was robbed, robbed I tell you, of the Oscar for best actress for her portrayal.

2. Steelsheen

Steelsheen Head Geek of Nerdtopia

i agree with you green 101%.

i'm glad that they're making a sequel. if any topic that should be made into a trilogy its her story. she's one of the greatest leaders of modern history.

3. MrScissorhands

MrScissorhands Registered

Nice ! :up:

I liked the movie and Queen Elizabeth is an interesting enough character to justify another movie.

Though it might suck if Cate Blanchett looks the entire movie like she did at the end of Elizabeth.

[​IMG]

Yeesh ! :eek:

4. jaguarr

jaguarr Be Your Own Hero

5. Steelsheen

well, if Elizabeth is to talk to anybody outside her chambers she would definitely look like that. unless of course they would tackle some flashbacks from her youth (the years depicted in "Elizabeth") but that shouldnt be too much-- heck we had a whole movie dedicated to her youth. this next flick should show how she turned England into a superpower and humbled the Spanish armada.

6. Steelsheen

hmm, interesting indeed.

well, if they're offering the pretty much the same salary she got when she did the first film they should be ashamed of themselves. Blanchett's an Oscar award winning actress now and has starred in countless other films that have made waves with the critics and at the box office.

7. green

Hmmm Moviehole or Variety? Who do you trust?

Anyone have access to the actual Herald Sun interview Moviehole is talking about?

8. Superfreak

Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

I believe meteorology, not Elizabeth was responsible for the demise of the Spanish armada

9. Kmack

Kmack Cheers!

Cool, I loved the first movie. Cate did an exceptional job but I still think Paltrow desereved the Oscar:p

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this:up:

10. Kmack

Kmack Cheers!

Well face it, Queen Elizabeth actually did look this way:o I think its a near perfect resemblance :D

11. Kroc1138

Kroc1138 Registered

Blasphemy!! Paltrow is massively overrated and extremely annoying.

12. jaguarr

jaguarr Be Your Own Hero

Paltrow? :confused:

jag

13. Everyman

Everyman Registered

She was robbed indeed, she definitely deserved the Oscar.

14. Steelsheen

true. but you gotta hand it to her, she was the only one at that time who had the balls to stand up to them.

15. unknownuser

unknownuser nuʞuoʍunsǝɹ

Cate Blanchett is leaving fans guessing about her regal return as British queen Elizabeth I after insisting industry reports about a sequel to the hit 1998 movie Elizabeth are untrue. The actress has reportedly signed up to play the flame-haired queen in Elizabeth: The Golden Age, but comments she made yesterday in Australia's Herald Sun might give producers pause for thought. She says, "I'm really good friends with Shekhar Kapur (director) and he's forever saying he's going to do this movie or that movie and I think there was talk about it. There's so much there if it were to happen, but my initial instinct is, why (make it)?" Hollywood's top trade magazines report the sequel would co-star Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen and start shooting in April.

source: http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-09-02/#3

16. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

Hmm, interesting. I personally am suprised they aren't calling it 2 Eliza 2 Beth.

17. Kroc1138

Kroc1138 Registered

In reference to the fact that Cate Blancette was robbed of her Oscar. Gwyneth(Sp) Paltrow didn't deserve it.

18. green

Set pics...not much though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. SolidSnakeMGS

SolidSnakeMGS Registered

****, that damn Shakespeare in Love shouldn't have won ****, Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture and Cate should have won Best Actress. Shakespeare in Love was one goddamn overrated piece of ****. Goddamn Academy Award Popularity Contest ****.

20. green

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1607
    From Showest
    new stills
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Speedball

Speedball Don't. Blink.

Anyone know if Sir Francis Drake is gonna be in the film?
    I hope he is, he was there "fighting" the Spanish Armada.
    If they do it right, the fight with the Armada could be an amazing sequence on film.

22. green

I dont think he is Speedball, but Im not certain.

Anyway it's screened and I expect we will see Cate at the Oscars again this year, hopefully she can be awarded for her work this time, it would be cool seeing as it is the same role.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31914
    I think this person just has a thing against Owen. Other reports from the screening are saying his performance is fantastic.

23. green

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070418r.php
    Sounds fantastic.:up:

24. green

25. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin