Ellen Page to Whip It!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/19/jimmy-fallon-cast-in-drew-barrymores-whip-it/
Jimmy Fallon Cast in Drew Barrymore’s Whip It!
Posted on Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 at 1:35 am by: Peter Sciretta

I haven’t seen this officially reported anywhere, so I thought I’d pass along word that Jimmy Fallon has been cast in Drew Barrymore’s directorial debut Whip It! Fallon has been spotted by /Film sources on set of the roller derby dramedy playing “Hot Tub Johnny”, a cheesy hungover announcer who makes nasty comments to all the skaters.My sources have also spotted Andrew Wilson, brother of of Owen and Luke (fans of Wes Anderson know as “Future Man” in Bottle Rocket), who is playing a roller derby coach. The film stars Ellen Page as “an indie-rock loving misfit” who finds a way of dealing with her small-town misery after she discovers a roller derby league in nearby Austin Texas. Whip It! is currently in production.

Ugh, I was looking forward to this but i can't stand Fallon.

oh shyte "fallon"..now i dont know about this:(

Fallon could make any movie suck. Thank God he wasn't in Almost Famous long enough to ruin it. My interest in this Whip It movie just plummeted.

By the way, have any of you seen those weird commercials that Drew Barrymore has been doing for some make up company? She looks... orange. Scary.:wow:

Falon's okay for me. Fever Pitch wasn't bad.

No dudes, this is good! Fallon will play a creep. Ellen puts down creeps. We might see Ellen whip Fallon's butt into submission.

i thought i read some where fallon was off this now.

Fallon makes my skin crawl everytime he opens his mouth. I watched all of Taxi hoping that when his character got it together he'd be less annoying. No such luck.

it doesn't matter how young she looks as long she's legal, I do her in heart beat.

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/05/01/fox-searchlight-is-gonna-whip-it-good/
Fox Searchlight is Gonna 'Whip It!' Good
by Jenni Miller May 1st 2009 // 11:03AM
Filed under: Comedy, Fandom, Distribution, Fox Searchlight
Roller derby diehards and grrl-power folks will be pleased to know that Drew Barrymore's directorial debut Whip It! has finally gotten a distributor and a release date: Fox Searchlight will be unleashing it in wide release on October 9th, 2009. Drew Barrymore is also an executive producer; her production company Flower Films is behind the release.

Based on the novel Derby Girl by Shauna Cross, Whip It! is the story of a small-town Texas gal named Bliss Cavendar (Ellen Page) who channels her inner bad-ash with help from a roller derby league in nearby Austin. Cross is also a derby girl from Texas; her not-to-be-messed-with nom de rink is Maggie Mayhem.

Whip It! also stars Drew Barrymore as Smashley Simpson, Juliette Lewis as Dinah Might, Kristen Wiig as Malice in Wonderland, real-life stunt woman Zoe Bell as Bloody Holly, Eve as Rosa Sparks, and many more as derby grrls throwing elbows and jeers on eight wheels. Marcia Gay Harden plays Bliss's prim 'n' proper mom.

Although some people are hard on Ellen Page and her deadpan Juno vibe, I think she will be great as Bliss and frankly, I've missed seeing her face onscreen. I have to admit to skipping Smart People, and I've yet to catch The Tracey Fragments or An American Crime on DVD. (If you've seen either, please chime in! I'm especially curious about An American Crime, especially given the brutal nature of the story.)

So much girl power! Can audiences handle it? Judging by the screaming hordes of fans I've seen at any roller derby race I've been to, the answer is bad place yes.

I've watched too many editions of "I Love the 80's" on VH1. I was hoping Page was playing a reporter writing up a feature on Devo.

Ellen's all of, what, 5'3/105? Her doing the smashing, roller derby chick thing seems a bit uneven. Besides, Fallon killed what ever remote interest I might have fostered for this.

Last edited:
I've watched too many editions of "I Love the 80's" on VH1. I was hoping Page was playing a reporter writing up a feature on Devo.

Ellen's all of, what, 5'3/105? Her doing to smashing roller derby chick thing seems a bit uneven. Besides, Fallon killed what ever remote interest I might have fostered for this.

Yeah, I love Ellen but she's seems a little to small and frail for this. It would be like Ethan Hawke playing Batman. But I may give it a shot (though Fallon's involvment makes me want to punch things).

Any movie that has Juliette Lewis playing a roller derby chick named Dinah Might is alright in my book.:up:

First Photo From Drew Barrymore's Whip It

33tt1xd.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56989

The babes look good... I still think that Page looks a little to tiny to really be a threat on wheels... but then I remember her in Hard Candy and I think that what she lacks in size, she makes up in intensity.

Didn't know Zoe Bell was in this. Bell and Kurt Russell were the only good things about Tarantino's disappointing film, Death Poop.

Can't wait until Kristen Wiig totally steals the movie out from under everybody else.

Also, alot of rollergirls are really that small. It helps to have a low centre of gravity, and not too much leg or weight to trip over. Heck, most of the best WWE women wrestlers in the late 90s to now were puny.

Well, I wasn't so much referring to her height; I was talking more about her slight frame. But yeah, I don't watch rollerderby, so maybe she's not too far off from reality there.

looks good... i thought it would be a joke like dodgeball but this looks nicely done

Good for Ellen Page not playing the same character!

"Let's celebrate mediocrity. That's fantastic.":hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"