Batwoman Episode 01/13 - "Drink Me"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Scheduled airdate: February 23, 2020

Synopsis:

BEING A HERO IS DRAINING - A new villain sinks her teeth into Gotham and The Hold Up opens in grand fashion. Sophie (Meagan Tandy) reluctantly requests that Batwoman (Ruby Rose) keep her distance knowing their interactions could compromise her career. Dougray Scott, Rachel Skarsten, Nicole Kang and Camrus Johnson also star. Dermott Downs directed the episode written by Jerry Shandy.

JS94939110.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone seeing a bottle labelled "drink me" would be mad to drink that. It could be poison or acid. Or laxatives.

Anyone seeing a bottle labelled "drink me" would be mad to drink that. It could be poison or acid. Or laxatives.
Alice had that covered :word::

“It was all very well to say `Drink me,' but the wise little Alice was not going to do that in a hurry. `No, I'll look first,' she said, `and see whether it's marked "poison" or not'; for she had read several nice little histories about children who had got burnt, and eaten up by wild beasts and other unpleasant things… …and she had never forgotten that, if you drink much from a bottle marked `poison,' it is almost certain to disagree with you, sooner or later.

However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it…”

Since Ray Palmer is not guest-starring in this episode, we can probably rule out any literal shrinking. Presumably, “drink me” refers to the vampire villain teased in prior promos.

Alice had that covered :word::

“It was all very well to say `Drink me,' but the wise little Alice was not going to do that in a hurry. `No, I'll look first,' she said, `and see whether it's marked "poison" or not'; for she had read several nice little histories about children who had got burnt, and eaten up by wild beasts and other unpleasant things… …and she had never forgotten that, if you drink much from a bottle marked `poison,' it is almost certain to disagree with you, sooner or later.

However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it…”

Since Ray Palmer is not guest-starring in this episode, we can probably rule out any literal shrinking. Presumably, “drink me” refers to the vampire villain teased in prior promos.

If someone really wanted to poison you though, they wouldn't mark the bottle "poison". Surely they would put it in a bottle specifically not marked "poison".

It was only in the 60s Batman that they had things labelled as "Batphone" or "Batmug" or things like that.

"Drink Me" promo:

The Beth Kane story-arc is likely the only Multiverse consequence for Batwoman, but it's back to normal when she faced Nocturna.

One of the better episodes. But as I anticipated… the circle of people who know the secret identity is expanding.

I have to echo Kate's sentiments: what is Alice's end game? She wants to be the villain or basically Kate's Joker, but then she tries to do something noble that ends up only being for herself, clearly bothered that Kate left her to die. If she was too far gone, she wouldn't care, but then she says maybe she doesn't want Kate to give up on her? Alice needs to ether s*** or get off the pot, but I'm just not into villains especially who waiver like that.

It's not like there's some gray area in between- she helped Mary, but not to get a medal. She got Mary trapped to begin with. I'd be more in line if Alice was just livid altogether that Kate let her die instead of trying to prove that there's still the tiniest shred of good in her.

I think Alice's end game is just as simple as wanting to be a family again. A perverted family with Mouse as their brother, but still a family. Only Kate, as her twin, is someone she stills considers family from her old one.

And I have to say that I like a good conflicted villain. Beth was a good kid put into a horrible situation, and had to break herself in order to survive. I would like to see her start on a road back to redemption.

So how does Sophie not realise it's Kate Kane after kissing her when they've obviously been intimate before? Can she not tell lips apart? Or she doesn't see past the mask? And is Batwoman going to keep her mask on if they have sex in case Sophie recognises her? Won't Sophie also recognise the various body tattoos?

I guess Mary had to figure it out sooner or later. It's better having her as an ally anyway.

Why did Alice try to save Mary after sending Nocturna after her? And how did she show up so quickly at the cathedral when she was paralysed before? Did Batwoman bring her along?

The fight in the bell tower reminded be of Batman and Joker's fight in the cathedral at the end of Batman 89.

Kate didn't seem all that sad after the shooting at the end of last week. Neither did Luke Fox. Had a significant amount of time passed?

Last edited:
So how does Sophie not realise it's Kate Kane after kissing her...?

Sophie seems to have suspected Batwoman’s secret for a while. And even after Julia Pennyworth posed as BW, Sophie didn’t seem entirely convinced. So it remains to be seen whether the kiss will confirm things for her. :ebr:

How come Batwoman and Sara Lance never got it on while they were at the Vanishing Point during Crisis? They seemed to have been stuck there for a while - months according to the story. Was there no down time at all? Sara seems to have hit on everyone at some point, including Chyler Danvers. Are we saying now that she's changed her tune and resisted that impulse with BW?

I'm thinking Sophie knows who Batwoman is.

As to Mary figuring it out, apparently BW coming out in the magazine helped with that. As we all figured it would for someone!:D

And I really hope there is no flashback in the next crossover about them hooking up. Not every character needs to sleep with everyone out there, and considering Sara is in a relationship, that would be pretty sh*ty.

I'm thinking Sophie knows who Batwoman is.

As to Mary figuring it out, apparently BW coming out in the magazine helped with that. As we all figured it would for someone!:D

And I really hope there is no flashback in the next crossover about them hooking up. Not every character needs to sleep with everyone out there, and considering Sara is in a relationship, that would be pretty sh*ty.

Well technically Ava was dead along with everyone else by that point, and at least several months had past. So it would be understandable if Sara had moved on and found solace in the arms of Batwoman.

I'm also assuming that Lex Luthor obviously knows Batwoman's real identity and Flash's too since they didn't keep their masks on all that time. But it seems he's not telling the world.

How come Batwoman and Sara Lance never got it on while they were at the Vanishing Point during Crisis? They seemed to have been stuck there for a while - months according to the story. Was there no down time at all? Sara seems to have hit on everyone at some point, including Chyler Danvers. Are we saying now that she's changed her tune and resisted that impulse with BW?

Why didn't Barry/Kara get it on?

There's no disgusting handling of rape in this (or any of it, for that matter), so it steps over the very low bar necessary to be an improvement on the material it's adapting for the first time. I'm surprised they didn't use the ex-girlfriend angle of the comic, that seemed like CW catnip to me, but I didn't like it there so that's another area that I'd call this an improvement over the only Batwoman thing I find worse than this show.

I was kinda hoping Nocturna would actually be a metahuman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"