Ex-Archbishop: “We did not know that child abuse was a crime”

Johann Krauss

Sidekick
Reaction score
[A] retired Catholic Archbishop in the US is claiming in a soon-to-be-published memoir that he did not comprehend the potential harm to young victims or understand that the priests had committed a crime. Said Rembert G Weakland: “We all considered sexual abuse of minors as a moral evil, but had no understanding of its criminal nature.”
Weakland, who retired in 2002 after it became known that he paid $450,000 in 1998 to a man who had accused him of date rape years earlier, said he initially: “Accepted naively the common view that it was not necessary to worry about the effects on the youngsters: either they would not remember or they would ‘grow out of it’.”
Weakland’s critics allege that, when he was Archbishop of Milwaukee, he had tried to cover up some of the widespread abuse that had taken place in the diocese – in particular by overseeing an evaluation in 1993 of Father Lawrence Murphy, one of those prosecuted for abuse.
Link

:facepalm

Hey, I am NOT a Catholic Archbishop :o

What??!?!?
Religion in the news for something bad again?
Impossible!
Religion is all good, right?

He's retarted, for thinking we'd belive that.
Hell, he might be so retarted that he's telling the truth.

How could someone who's ******ed even get a job as such a high figure in religion?
Oh right... its a church.

Hahaha this so belongs in the religion debate thread

Now now, you shouldn't judge a belief by those who abuse it. That is the first rule of philosophy and debate. That guy has some mighty penalties to pay on judgement day.

“We all considered sexual abuse of minors as a moral evil, but had no understanding of its criminal nature.”

Weakland, who retired in 2002 after it became known that he paid $450,000 in 1998 to a man who had accused him of date rape years earlier

Oh wow, I missed this part the first time...so he didn't just cover up for raping pieces of ****, he's one himself.

“Accepted naively the common view that it was not necessary to worry about the effects on the youngsters: either they would not remember or they would ‘grow out of it’.”

The common view? Since when is it a common view that children don't remember being molested and raped, or "grow out of it".

This guy is a moron, a scumbag, and a lying, self-excusing worm, all wrapped into one.

One of the many reasons I am Agnostic.

Humanity's really starting to piss me off.

I have no respect for that piece of ****, nor anyone that wastes time defending them

OK, maybe I'd use that DeathNote thing for this *****ecanoe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"