Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

If Ball really nailed this and the movie makes bank, I really hope Zelda doesn’t stop him from coming back for another.

Then again, the last Apes was 7 years ago, so a bit of a wait is always possible.

Love seeing all the positive reviews! Seeing this tomorrow afternoon. Huge fan of the most recent trilogy and my anticipation for this has been high!

Great movie.

Won’t say much, but one thing I loved is I had no idea what would happen next throughout.

I kept on theorizing what might happen and most of the time, I was way off.

Go in with as few spoilers as possible.

I'm now rewatching the previous trilogy and I still say this shot goes so hard.

42ff42d84c5247c5e8be96bbf4639968ebc57880.gifv

WAR doesn't get the credit it deserves for me. Fantastic movie.
War is an amazing film. I only put Dawn above it because of Koba. It did feel a little overlooked at the time of its release because it was sandwiched between Spider-Man: Homecoming and Dunkirk.

I've only seen 6 2024 movies so far and this is the 2nd one I've seen in a theater this year. I thought it was really good. It was worth seeing in the big screen. The visuals were great. I thought the Maze Runner films were fun despite the gloomy environment and mood. And now I've seen the film, Wes Ball was the perfect choice for this. I wasn't sure if he was gonna deliver, as the last 3 Apes were really well received and well made. And the Maze Runner only got average to mixed reviews, and even I thought those films were kinda lacking. Good movies but not great. So I was surprised how Kingdom turned out to be this good. I thought the movie had a lot of soul into it.

It started a bit slow but the final act was just the best.
Starting from the part where the girl killed the human, when they entered that bunker, the whole scene when the bunker was flooded, the final scene between the girl and the lead ape, to the signal from the skies - which I was anticipating starting from the first movie.

Though I was quite surprised how the Apes weren't so technically advanced after all those "generations". My favorite character was the other ape who was killed in the middle of the film, I think he drowned in the river and I was hoping he would show up again.

I wish we won't have to wait yearssss for the next one. Because the ending was too good not to get a follow up.

War is an amazing film. I only put Dawn above it because of Koba. It did feel a little overlooked at the time of its release because it was sandwiched between Spider-Man: Homecoming and Dunkirk.

See I like Dawn a lot a big reason for that is Koba, who is an awesome villain. But War just took it to another level for me. It was the best movie that year. And I say that as someone who holds Logan in very high regard.

Logan and Blade Runner 2049 are still my top picks for that year. War would come in 3rd or 4th.

Seeing this tomorrow and I feel hyped!

This was an amazing film. It felt like a classic Hollywood blockbuster in a lot of ways. It was much more of a slow burn than the usual big budget film, which I found absolutely refreshing for such a CGI-heavy movie. There were no bombastic, over-the-top action sequences. The film didn't feel like it was in the shadow of the previous trilogy instead it felt like its own story. The script was really strong, I didn't really know where the story was going unlike a lot of superhero fare.

Very, very impressed by this film. I'm hoping the director returns for another -- he had a firm understanding of what worked with the previous trilogy. And he knew how to craft a story with its own identity too.

I enjoyed I was blind going in since I saw the tv spots but they don't tell you anything.

I was expecting this to be Ceasar's son a bit more grown, but I liked that it was it's own thing.They still connect it to what Ceasar built but we get new characters.

I can't believe Mae was still locked and loaded at the end in the discussion with Noa. She did try to kill him and his, so she would think he maybe violent like apes she has been accustomed to.

Saw it earlier, really liked it.
Dawn and War are still the ones to beat but this has the heart of those movies, and i liked the slow burn at the beginning, it didnt need to go BIG like War, i thought Noa was a very likeable protagonist and i loved how eccentric and showboaty Proximus was, he aint no Koba tho.
I really appreciate when a big budget movie actually FEELS big budget.

I do consider Dawn the masterpiece of the current run. It's not only breath taking visually but it's the classic story of us vs them and I think it does a wonderful job of having nuanced characters on both sides. You have Koba and the 'guy from Fringe who's character name escapes me' who represent the worst and most hateful, you have Caesar and Jason Clarke representing the good and you have multiple characters in between who are either afraid and / or want the conflict to end but can't do much because they're not in charge. I think it's just phenomenal and one of the best movies of the last decade that weirdly enough sometimes gets forgotten about in these discussions.

When it comes to Rise or War, I like both for different reasons. Rise is more interesting on a story level - seeing how we get from where we are to apes taking over. War is more stripped down and simple but the stakes feel higher. I like both even if I have my minor nit picks with both as well. I love me some James Franco in the Spider-Man films but generally as a leading man it feels like something is missing and even though I enjoy him in Rise, I think some of those emotional scenes could perhaps be 10% more effective with a different actor. With War, I do think coming off Dawn it suffers from being more black/white and characters feel more one note.

The original five films are also great and deserves more praise in general. I thought the way they lead into each other was actually a cool choice and having them basically form a loop was clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"