Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

If they do a 60s setting it’s easier to adapt characters like red ghost. I bet he has the potential to be a really fun villain
Yeah, in the simplest of terms, if the wany something highly faithful to the original comics: Space race with USSR, Red Ghost, and just all the little details we saw in that early run, they have to do a retro setting.

So hopefully that’s the goal, because that could be fun.

But I’m not going to presume either that that’s the goal or they’ll be able to pull it off, but that’s my best hope at the moment based on the little we know.

I doubt we are getting space race and Red Ghost and such cause at some point we have to get the FF to the main MCU. It isn't like we are getting a FF trilogy in this 60s environment. I still think this entire concept is a massive mistake, but we will see.

Shalla-Ball as the Surfer? This is a change I know will ruffle feathers. Off hand don't recognize the name of the actress. I hope she does a great job. I hope this movie is great. I am kind of on wait and see with this movie. I just don't know how this will inevitably piece together with the MCU at large. I have many concerns, most Doom related

Okay, I like that pick. Garner was great in the film Grandma with Lily Tomlin, as well as The Royal Hotel last year with Jessica Henwick. Definitely has some range.

It's bittersweet that it won't be Norrin Radd. I like Shalla-Bal. I had the issue of Silver Surfer she debuted in as a kid but skipping Norrin and making her the Surfer is definitely a choice.

giphy.gif
Damn it, Hollywood, stop proving Matt & Trey right.

I am wondering how different the actual characterization is going to be. Like, is Surfer going to sort of be a Surfer/Nova combo? Or will Shalla-Ball be essentially just female Norrin?

They either couldn’t lock down Anya and/or were looking for that type.

Prominent insider DanielRPK first reported on the news that Taylor-Joy will reportedly star in the new Fantastic Four movie, with fellow insider Jeff Sneider also revealingearlier in the weeks that fans can “expect to see a female Silver Surfer.”

Last edited:
Well remember, there were big names who turned this movie down cause Marvel didn't want to pay big name money. Anya maybe was approached and priced herself out/Marvel was too cheap (however you want to phrase it)

The other rumor was this (kind of been lost as Pedro Pascal overshadows the cast.)

Shakman's taking on some unnecessary risk here by gender bending the best designed cosmic superhero, especially since a gender bent Firelord/Nova mashup could have worked without aggravating long time Norrin fans. I'm not sure what the upside in doing this is for a franchise that already failed twice before. Its better than the Lady Thing that was rumored, but a dumb idea nonetheless.

I guess I'm in the group that doesn't care it's not Norin lol.

Shakman's taking on some unnecessary risk here by gender bending the best designed cosmic superhero, especially since a gender bent Firelord/Nova mashup could have worked without aggravating long time Norrin fans. I'm not sure what the upside in doing this is for a franchise that already failed twice before. Its better than the Lady Thing that was rumored, but a dumb idea nonetheless.
This isn't gendering bending a character though, they are basically saying what if Shalla-Bal became the Silver Surfer instead of Norrin. Plus there is some prescidence in the comics for it (in the Earth X comics).

I can easily envision them using Shalla-Bal for this film and then giving Norrin a bigger presence in a film that solely revolves around Silver Surfer. People seem to be too quickly leaping from this to concluding Norrin doesn't nor has ever existed.

In before they gender and race swap Doctor Doom

July 2022:

Feige compared Marvel’s new take on the heroes to its pact with Sony to bring Spider-Man into the MCU, noting this will not be another origin story. “A lot of people know this origin story. A lot of people know the basics. How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before?” said Feige, who added that given the superteam launched the Marvel Comics universe back in 1961, “We’ve set a very high bar for ourselves with bringing that to the screen.”

Julia Garner is such a great actress. It kinda bothers me how they always get these awesome artists and then they give close to nothing for them to work on. I really hope they make good use of her.

Except it's not gender swapping. If Garner was playing Norrin Radd then it would be but she's playing Shalla-Bal, who did become a Surfer in the comics at one point. There's no reason to believe they won't introduce the classic Norrin Radd Surfer eventually and they can co-exist. For all we know they could be planning on giving Norrin his own movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"