Iron Man 2 Faran Tahir (Raza) talks sequels, Mandarin

tamron

Sidekick
Reaction score
Faran Tahir, who played the terrorist leader Raza in the first Iron Man movie, told SCI FI Wire that he doesn't have a role in the upcoming sequel, but that his character may appear in a later installment.

"We're still talking about it," Tahir said in an exclusive phone interview on Thursday. "It hasn't been finalized yet, so we'll see. The character didn't die in the first one, and it is part of a larger story. Iron Man's biggest nemesis is Mandarin, and my character is the only reference to Mandarin. So we're still trying to figure out how it's going to fit. The things to consider, I think, are that if it is a bigger story, how much of it is exposed [and] when."

Raza was the leader of a group that is part of the larger Ten Rings organization, which in the Marvel Comics is run by the Mandarin. Or is Raza more than he appears?

"Is he the conduit to Mandarin?" Tahir said. "Does he become Mandarin? Is it just another leader of the Ten Rings, you know, thing? All the allusions [in] my first speech was all about Genghis Khan and all that, which is Mandarin's thing, you know? So I think they have created the character and the storyline very wisely. To leave it as open as possible so whatever they need to, you know, pull from, they will."

For his part, Tahir would love it if he turns out to be the ultimate bad guy in the Iron Man universe. "Of course I would," he said. "Yeah, yeah, we'll see. We'll see." Iron Man 2 is currently shooting in Los Angeles.
http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/iron-mans-raza-looks-ahea.php

He was good as Raza, but I would prefer Mandarin to be someone else. The character should be bigger, more connected than a Middle Eastern terrorist.

I'd love to see Mandarin as an Asian business rival of Stark, played by Andy Lau.

Still, I can't blame Tahir for lobbying for it.

Raza ain't gonna be Mandarin... if anything it will be a flashback... I can't imagine them rehashing a character when there are plenty more to get to. Sort of like Leslie Bibb's character... probably won't even be in the sequel.

Well in the novelization Raza clearly isn't the Mandarin. Both he and Stane make references to the Mandarin as someone other than themselves. Now novelizations are never 100% accurate with what we get in the movies, but it is based off the script and does show where the filmmakers heads are at regarding the Mandarin. I'd say 95% chance that Tahir(Raza) won't be him.

I'd prefer Mandarin be Chinese with a nice mix of mysticism and technology.

I hope the end of Iron Man 2 is like the second season of the Iron Man cartoon where each episode ended with the Mandarin collection one of his rings. j/k

I hope the end of Iron Man 2 is like the second season of the Iron Man cartoon where each episode ended with the Mandarin collection one of his rings. j/k

"The character didn't die in the first one"

Why not? It sure seemed like Stane's men killed everyone in that camp.

That's the impression I got as well.

sounds to me like someones trying to talk his way back into the series. probably not happening.

Thats what I was thinking, we never see it, but its made pretty clear Stane doesnt intend for him to live in that scene.

When you're talking comic books, no body means no death. Sure, it's probably meant to seem like he's dead, and in all likely hood it'll stay that way and we'll never actually see the character again, but given that this movie is based on a Marvel comic book, it wouldn't be a stretch for him to turn out to be alive.

I'd prefer if Raza was replaced by someone closer to Mandarin & then in IM3. We finally see Madarin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"