Favorite Character By Season?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Now that everything is all said and done I thought it would be cool to take a look at who people rate as their top/favourite character of each season.

Throughout the seasons prominent characters have entered, left, took a step back or have been killed off entirely so I thought this could make more an interesting list as I doubt many people's will be the same.

Season 1: Eddard Stark (Sean Bean)

The greatest father in all the 7 kingdoms, the first season for me was very much Ned's story and I imagine like many of the other none book readers his death still goes down as one of the top 5 most shocking moments in the show's history.

Season 2: Robb Stark (Richard Madden)

Long before I was ever a die hard supporter of Jon, Arya or Sansa the first Stark after Ned that I connected with was Robb. And he didn't go to war for power he only went to war to defend the north, to avenge his father & reunite his family.

Season 3: Jon Snow (Kit Harrington)

I always enjoyed Jon Snow's story but it was upon meeting Ygritte in season 3 for me that his really came to life. Not only in terms of the love story but the questions it posed to Jon. Like are the wildlings really bad people?

Season 4: Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage)

Out of everyone I think Tyrion grew the most in season 4, it probably helped that he had some of the best moments of the season imo with his dialogue in general while on trial for Jofferey's murder and his talk with Tywin before shooting him with the crossbow being personal highlights.

Season 5: Jon Snow (Kit Harrington)

If season 3 really introduced Jon Snow to the internal conflict between those north and south of the wall then season 5 really drilled it home. Jon's moral code to help whoever he can no matter what the cost to his own life plays out in this season best.

Season 6: Arya Stark ( Maisie Williams)

Arya took this season for me because the story with the The House of Black & White and the Faceless Men were just so different to everything we had seen previously. While this story got started in season 5 I feel we it hit its stride more in season 6 with Arya's incredible return and kill of Walder Fray a show highlight.​

Season 7: Sandor Clegane "The Hound" (Rory McCann)

Having two of the best episodes in the show's history imo (Episode 4 & Episode 6) certainly makes this a hard one to pick just one character but the one who stands out for me is The Hound. This season really showed it as we seen a more of a caring side burying the farmers and was so funny in Beyond The Wall.

Season 8: Jon Snow (Kit Harrington)

This one is really hard as I feel so many people got a combination of great moments throughout this season then very little to do. With that in mind I think I will choose Jon Snow, he does have one or two episodes where it feels like he doesn't do anything but other than that he has a great finale that is so fitting for character and an ending that he deserves.

What's your list?

I'd need to rewatch before doing this but I'll agree with Ned Stark for season 1 and add Oberyn Martell for season 4.

Season 1 - Tyrion Lannister. Hit the ground running as my favorite character and I loved his adventure to the Wall and the Vale. Was pretty much the most entertaining character from the word go.

Season 2 - Tyrion Lannister. Arguably peak Tyrion in this season as he was the acting Hand for Joffrey.

Season 3 - Tywin Lannister. Season 3 is his masterstroke as he plays everybody and takes down Robb Stark without his Army so much as lifting their weapons.

Season 4 - Tyrion Lannister. Another season where Tyrion's story was the most interesting part and his long running rivalry with his father comes to an end.

Season 5 - Ramsay Snow. The weakest season of the show, but the vile Ramsay was the highlight culminating in his crushing victory over Stannis. He made a great villain.

Season 6 - Cersei Lannister. This season is all about her rise to the Iron Throne and ends with her crowning achievement.

Season 7 - The Night King. He takes down and resurrects a friggin' dragon as his new steed and busts down the Wall. Enough said.

Season 8 - Daenerys Targaryen. Her descent into madness and tyranny dominated this season. Perhaps overly so as both the Night King and especially Cersei felt like lesser players. This was Dany's season. No doubt.

Season 1 - Tyrion Lannister. Ah his good old Imp days when he was uncouth, brittle and hilarious. I miss this Tyrion but am glad he grew out of it (though his wittiness suffered due to D&D no longer having GRRM lines to give him.

Season 2 - Arya Stark/Tyrion Lannister tie - Same as above for Tyrion but more so. This was the season where he had the most power and he was still clever and brutal. He became a little too oblivious and kind hearted by the time he was Dany's Queen. Arya, meanwhile, gets lost in the riverlands and has a heartbreaking and amazing adventure as a young girl whose innocence is dying but something hard and iron is taking its place. Her stare downs with Tywin Lannister are still among the show's very best scenes.

Season 3 - Jaime Lannister/Daenerys Targaryen - The season where Jaime began his redemption arc. It was also honestly never better than here with him and Brienne as underdogs in this world and forcing to reevaluate their lives. This is also peak Daenerys Breaker of Chains. We know where this road leads for her, but in that moment she is magnificent.

Season 4 - Tyrion Lannister/Arya Stark - Tyrion loses everything and is forced to consider what that means for him and his relationship wit his father is brought to the foreground. Arya Stark is on a road trip with the Hound. Doesn't get better than those two, even if Arya is becoming something faintly scary at this point.

Season 5 - Jon Snow - The Bastard of Winterfell was never more appealing than as the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who risked everything to fight the White Walkers and help the Free Folk. He lost everything for it too.

Season 6 - Sansa Stark - While first time I'm mentioning her here, her journey has always been one of the most fascinating ever since Joffrey forced her to look at Ned Stark's head. This was the season where she began to assert herself as more than a victim or a political pawn. Now she was the agent who forced Jon Snow to reclaim Winterfell, and the one who assured the battle was won. She revealed herself to be Ned Stark's daughter, and maybe something a little darker given how she executes Ramsay. Girl was feeling herself.

Season 7 - Daenerys Targaryen - Dany finally brings Fire & Blood to Westeros. Very gratifying after so many years of waiting to see her unleash her dragons on the Lannisters.

Season 8 - Sansa Stark/Daenerys Targaryen - Odd choices since they were at odds till the bitter end, but Dany's descent into madness, if rushed, was the backbone of the season and Emilia Clarke was never better than selling this devastating fall she personally didn't even support. Sansa meanwhile did what her brothers could not and truly won the North's independence through diplomacy instead of battle and assured the Stark legacy would live on. She has had the most satisfying arc over the whole series.

Awesome thread!

Season 1 - Tyrion (runner up: Dany)
Season 2 - Tyrion (runner up: Bronn)
Season 3 - Jaime(runner up: Tyrion)
Season 4 - Tyrion (runner up: Oberyn)
Season 5 - Jon (runner up: Ramsay)
Season 6 - Jon (runner up: Bran)
Season 7 - Dany (runner up: Jaime)
Season 8 - Tyrion (runner up: Dany)

Season 1 - Tyrion Lannister. Ah his good old Imp days when he was uncouth, brittle and hilarious. I miss this Tyrion but am glad he grew out of it (though his wittiness suffered due to D&D no longer having GRRM lines to give him.

Season 2 - Arya Stark/Tyrion Lannister tie - Same as above for Tyrion but more so. This was the season where he had the most power and he was still clever and brutal. He became a little too oblivious and kind hearted by the time he was Dany's Queen. Arya, meanwhile, gets lost in the riverlands and has a heartbreaking and amazing adventure as a young girl whose innocence is dying but something hard and iron is taking its place. Her stare downs with Tywin Lannister are still among the show's very best scenes.

Season 3 - Jaime Lannister/Daenerys Targaryen - The season where Jaime began his redemption arc. It was also honestly never better than here with him and Brienne as underdogs in this world and forcing to reevaluate their lives. This is also peak Daenerys Breaker of Chains. We know where this road leads for her, but in that moment she is magnificent.

Season 4 - Tyrion Lannister/Arya Stark - Tyrion loses everything and is forced to consider what that means for him and his relationship wit his father is brought to the foreground. Arya Stark is on a road trip with the Hound. Doesn't get better than those two, even if Arya is becoming something faintly scary at this point.

Season 5 - Jon Snow - The Bastard of Winterfell was never more appealing than as the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who risked everything to fight the White Walkers and help the Free Folk. He lost everything for it too.

Season 6 - Sansa Stark - While first time I'm mentioning her here, her journey has always been one of the most fascinating ever since Joffrey forced her to look at Ned Stark's head. This was the season where she began to assert herself as more than a victim or a political pawn. Now she was the agent who forced Jon Snow to reclaim Winterfell, and the one who assured the battle was won. She revealed herself to be Ned Stark's daughter, and maybe something a little darker given how she executes Ramsay. Girl was feeling herself.

Season 7 - Daenerys Targaryen - Dany finally brings Fire & Blood to Westeros. Very gratifying after so many years of waiting to see her unleash her dragons on the Lannisters.

Season 8 - Sansa Stark/Daenerys Targaryen - Odd choices since they were at odds till the bitter end, but Dany's descent into madness, if rushed, was the backbone of the season and Emilia Clarke was never better than selling this devastating fall she personally didn't even support. Sansa meanwhile did what her brothers could not and truly won the North's independence through diplomacy instead of battle and assured the Stark legacy would live on. She has had the most satisfying arc over the whole series.

For the ones that we disagreed on, I almost made these picks as well. So I approve of this list.

For the ones that we disagreed on, I almost made these picks as well. So I approve of this list.

Thanks! Yeah, I loved Tyrion and I find it interesting so many folks are pushing the more traditional heroes in here. Generally, I think frustrating the traditional hero is by design in this series.

1- Arya, with Ned and Jon close behind.
2- Davos, with Tyrion, Hound and Bronn close behind.
3- Arya, with Sandor, Davos and the Brotherhood close behind.
4- Hound, with Arya, Tyrion and Jon close behind.
5- Jon, with Tormund and Tyrion close behind.
6- Jon, with Hound, Davos and Arya close behind
7- Hound, with Davos, Jon and the Brotherhood.
8- Hound, with Tormund, Arya and Jon close behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"