• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Political Quotes

"..Whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government"

Declaration of Independence

Good ole' Locke philosophy, gotta love it.

The funny thing is, it's never discussed that there are 4 rights spelled out in the DoI.

1. Right to Life.
2. Right to Liberty.
3. Right to Pursue Happiness.
4. Right to Expel Unjust Government.

It gets better:

""It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the—if he—if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not—that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement"

Ha!

Clinton will now always remind me of a quote from Hunter S. Thompson about him:

"Bill Clinton took marijuana but never inhaled. Right. Like I chewed on LSD but never swallowed."

""When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
- Thomas Jefferson

An recent post in another thread reminded me of this one. Seems to grow more true with time.

Funny--it does sound like this was paraphrased in the movie version of V for Vendetta: "People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Here's one:

"We have a two party system: We have the Democratic party, which is the party of no ideas, and the Republican party, which is the party of bad ideas. And the way it works is--the Republican stands up in Congress and says 'I've got a really bad idea!' and the Democrat says 'And I can make it s**tier!'"
--Lewis Black

"Here's modern American politics: 'I think the puppet on the left is right!' 'I think the puppet on the right is more to my liking!' But aren't they connected to the same body? 'GO BACK TO BED, AMERICA, YOU GOVERNMENT IS WATCHING OVER YOU.'"
--Bill Hicks

War is a quarrel between two thieves too cowardly to fight their own battle; therefore they take boys from one village and another village, stick them into uniforms, equip them with guns, and let them loose like wild beasts against each other - Thomas Carlyle

"My Grandfather had served in World War II and so did my great uncle. He was a Kansas boy who probably never expected to see Europe let alone the ****es that awaited him there." – Barack Obama AIPAC speech :hehe:

Last edited:
"These Tea Parties are talking about Problems, the FairTax Rally talks about Solutions." - Ken Hoagland.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." -W.

I think he's gotta have some of the best worst quotes in the world.

On a serious note...

"If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference." - Lincoln.

''You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror.''
—President George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"We once had hearts--hearts that beat high with the love of Liberty"~Gouverneur Morris

We have to declare war on everything. We have the war on crime, the war on poverty, the war on litter, the war on cancer, the war on drugs. But did you ever notice, we got no war on homelessness? You know why? There's no money in that problem! No money to be made off of the homeless. If you could find a solution to homelessness where the corporate swine and the politicians could steal a couple of million dollars each, you'd see the streets of America begin to clear up pretty god-damned quick, I'll guarantee you that - George Carlin

I thought homelessness IS a form of Poverty.

Also from Carlin: The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not lie” in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment.

And another: Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

"Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

FDR

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do." -- Ronald Reagan, 1981

"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Lincoln

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
Frederic Bastiat

We have to declare war on everything. We have the war on crime, the war on poverty, the war on litter, the war on cancer, the war on drugs. But did you ever notice, we got no war on homelessness? You know why? There's no money in that problem! No money to be made off of the homeless. If you could find a solution to homelessness where the corporate swine and the politicians could steal a couple of million dollars each, you'd see the streets of America begin to clear up pretty god-damned quick, I'll guarantee you that - George Carlin

He was and still is ahead of his time. I like how a lot of people (I'm not talking about you) will say he's one of their favorite comedians...and then go on to debate about what politician A said and what politician B said and how politician C was really right and on and on and they miss the point completely. Which brings me to probably my favorite quote of his:

"That's all the politicians, the media, that's all they talk about, the things that separate us, our differences. That's the way the ruling class works in any society, they try to divide the rest of the people. They keep the lower and middle classes fighting with each other so that they, the rich, can run off with all the ****ing money. Fairly simple thing, just happens to work. Anything different, race, religion, sexuality, social status, income, jobs, ethnic and national background, education, anything they can use to keep us fighting with each so that they can keep going to the bank. The upper class pays none of the taxes, does none of the work, the middle class pays all of the taxes does all of the work, the poor are there to scare the **** out of the middle class. Keep em' showing up at those JOBS!"

"I'm here to Chew Bubblegum and Kick Ass, and I'm all out of Bubblegum."

Rep. Rowdy Roddy Piper

"Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult."

~ Andre Marrou

That is a great quote! :woot:

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."

John Adams Letter to Jonathan Jackson (1789-10-02)

"Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult."

~ Andre Marrou

Hmmmmm.....I wonder what party Mr. Marrou belongs to.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"