Favorite villain of the trilogy?

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by The Joker, May 3, 2013.

?

Who is your favorite villain?

1. Obadiah Stane

2. Ivan Vanko

3. Justin Hammer

4. The Mandarin

5. Aldrich Killian

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Snow Queen

1. Aldrich Killian[BLACKOUT]/The Mandarin[/BLACKOUT]
    2. "The Mandarin"
    3. Obadiah Stane
    4. Justin Hammer
    5. Ivan Vanko

2. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

If we're adding more names to the list, then I'm voting for "Whiny Fanboys." :word: Biggest villains of all time.

3. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Here here! :woot:

4. Spideysays

Spideysays Well-Known Member

That comment about Shane black as the real villain kedrell??.......
    Good one! Agree 150%.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. KDM1986

KDM1986 Midnight Sons Founder

I voted for Vanko. I thought Micky Rourke was great as Anton Vanko and should of had more screen time.

6. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

It would have been The Mandarin had it not been for the third-act role reveal. As it stands I choose Iron Monger based solely on aesthetics.

7. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Well-Known Member

:up:

8. DarthDaveBanner

DarthDaveBanner Well-Known Member

Stane! Impeccable performance, killer lines and the Iron Monger suit was perfect.

9. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Do you really think Vanko is the best this franchise had to offer in the villain department though?

10. C_Carmichael

C_Carmichael Nerd Herder

I voted for Stane.

I wasn't much of a Mandarin fan, even in the comic books, and they really messed up with the Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo mashup.

But the biggest letdown for me of the trilogy was the lack of Living Laser. He was always my favorite Iron Man foe, and to ignore him completely makes me very sad.

11. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

Stane hands down. Bridges was great in the role and I thought they did the best job of building him up as the main threat.

I liked Vanko/Whiplash, but he was way too underdeveloped. I liked Hammer too, while I think he could've been portrayed a bit more seriously. Though I do think that Favreau hinted at him having a darker side at least.

I don't consider Trevor to be a villain and Killian was just bland. Weak motivation and just a poor representation of the Mandarin.

12. third3ye

third3ye Well-Known Member

I vote for Justin Hammer's dance moves as the greatest villain.

13. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

It's not a trilogy.... they already said in the future if they don't do it with RDJ they will "James Bond" it...there will be IM4

14. TheHeatKitchen

TheHeatKitchen Well-Known Member

SHOULD have been Mandarin....

But it's easily Stane. Stane is the only one that fit the movie he was in well, didn't do anything laughable and had a strong performance.

Vanko could have been very good, but the Whiplash suit was pretty boring.

Justin Hammer was entertaining, but let's be honest, he, nor his drones were real strong threats.

Killian was good, but coupled as the Mandarin personality kind of screwed that up for me. And the fire breathing made me laugh. He's second, but Stane stole the show for me. In fact, Jeff Bridges' performance was the strongest in Iron Man in my opinion.

15. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

I loved Stane in his 'evil guy' scenes like pulling out Tony's arc

I loved Vanko with the revenge angle, and the whole Monaco racetrack thing, as well as the russian type accent.

loved everything with IM3.

16. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

After seeing IM3 again its close between Stane and Killian/Mandarin, the latter obviously carried a bigger threat and was easily harder to put down, it took about 3/4 armours and more to do so.

Both performances were great IMO, from two actors I like a lot and both had good motivations. What I liked was neither was really sympathetic either. So its definately close, but overall I would have to go with Stane, he did the more evil things in the end, especially as a close friend of Tony and the Stark family.

17. Human Torch

Human Torch Well-Known Member

I went for Vanko.They could've done more with him,but I found him the most interesting.I take nothing away from Bridges,though.He was fantastic.

18. C_Carmichael

C_Carmichael Nerd Herder

How is it that anyone is choosing Vanko?

Don't get me wrong, I think Mickey Rourke did a decent job in portraying a Russian thug...but let's not forget that the original Vanko villan (Anton) was Crimson Dynamo, not Whiplash.

Sure, in the multiple revamped 616 continuity, Anton is now Whiplash, but he is much longer known as the Dynamo, and his backstory is more established as Dynamo.

In recent years, Whiplash has been used as an amalgamation villan far too often, being a generic female foe (AEMH), being a robotic assassin of Mr. Fix (IM:AA) or a handful of other appearances. But his first appearance against Iron Man wasn't even as a Vanko villan! He was in fact Mark Scarlotti. Whiplash only became a Vanko villan in 2010.

In my mind, the worst villan portrayal was Whiplash, followed closely by Mandarin.

19. ALP

ALP In The Mountains

Stane is the best thing this series has to a 'good' villain. Most have been abysmal and completely un-noteworthy.

Rourke as Vanko had the best potential. Whiplash could have been great, but like with Kingsley and Killian... the good actors could simply not rise above the terrible crappy portrayals they were straddled with.

20. Son of Coul

Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

Totally Killian/[blackout]Mandarin[/blackout]. Best motivation/evil plot/characterization. Granted, in the end he's a classic 80s evil business archetype, but he's a lot of fun.

Also, anyone else think Kingsley's Mandarin was absolutely hilarious? I'm talking pre-twist here. He was such a blast, especially his cynical take on fortune cookies. Kingsley's performance just rocked, best scene chewery in years

Stane and Hammer were both very amusing as well. Stane provided a good threat, though he kinda goes downhill in the third act once he suits up of course.

21. The Joker

How does Killian have the best motivation? It was the worst. Tony didn't meet him on the roof.

22. Son of Coul

Which was the tipping point that made him truly feel like a nobody, which made him realize the potential power of anonymity, which he used to his advantage in the creation of the [blackout]faux-Mandarin[/blackout] once his experiments started going wrong. Killian wasn't bitter at Tony, he was thankful that he gave him that revelation.

As for his overall motivation -war profiteering from both sides- it was basically the same concept of Stane's, but with a couple little extra layers to it. This doesn't necessarily make it better, but I personally found it more interesting. I think Killian genuinely thought spreading Extremis was a healthy progression in genetics. Plus he was clearly fueling his ego up as he kept rising as a successful "behind-the-scenes guy;" understandable for anyone who was a nobody most of their life (look at so many writers and film students lol). He was power-hungry, all the while sorting out some personal demons. I just really dug that.

23. ALP

ALP In The Mountains

I'mma take over the world because Tony Stark didn't meet me on a roof on New Years Eve 20 years ago! And maybe he would have taken me serious if I didn't dress like Edward Nygma:csad:

So menacing, so diabolical...:wow:

24. Son of Coul

**** it, yeah. It was all revenge. Despite what the villain himself outright states in the movie. Insightful analysis, let's pack it in everyone. It's been decided that you can ignore parts of the movie to pass judgment on it.

25. The Joker

Revenge for stupid reasons. Tony met him for a minute and a half in an elevator at a New Year's Eve party, said he'd meet him on the roof and he didn't. I could write a better motivation than that half drunk on the back of a beer mat.

Stane, Vanko, and even Justin Hammer all had more solid and believable motives than that.