February Sales Estimates - Green Lantern/DC lock-up top 3

I've been having a love/hate relationship with Bendis lately. The guy pretty much brought me back into comics so i'll always be a fan of him but i just feel like lately his stuff hasn't been up to par. Bendis works magic on dark street characters like DD, luke cage, spider-woman etc etc. When he does teams...i dunno, its just not his element. New Avengers was awesome for like the first 10 issues and then just went abo****ely NOwhere for the remaining 50 issues. I mean for all intents and purposes i feel like his Avengers book should be an absolute blast to read with all of Marvel's heavy hitters all in one book. But its just..underwhelming (although that may be more due to JrJr's lackluster art).

I'm looking forward to Moon Knight. This is Bendis' specialty. BUT, the premise does sound a bit iffy. But hey, i feel like Bendis and Maleev can't really go wrong.

Even if I wasn't a Marvel completionist, I'd still give Bendis the benifit of the doubt, as his track record with solo characters has been pretty darn good. I don't think you can do a complete 160 and throw away what people have been doing with Moon Knight's multiple character/sanity angle...and, sometimes, things do have to get much worse before they can get better. I'm not totally turned off by the idea, as long as it's well executed.

Even if I wasn't a Marvel completionist, I'd still give Bendis the benifit of the doubt, as his track record with solo characters has been pretty darn good. I don't think you can do a complete 160 and throw away what people have been doing with Moon Knight's multiple character/sanity angle...and, sometimes, things do have to get much worse before they can get better. I'm not totally turned off by the idea, as long as it's well executed.

A complete 160??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Is that like close to the other way around???

:oldrazz:

Green Lantern?

It's really cool that DCs colorful non-street level world is blowing the doors of the Bendis /Quesada/Marvel Knights kinda stuff that all the marvel books seem to incorperate.

I don't know where this will lead...becuase Marvel's colorful non-street level stuff still sells so low.

I'm just tired of Bendis stuff on every stinking book. I'm tired that Marvel has driven off a lot of the talent i used to really like. I miss the diversity of books at Marvel. I miss Busiek, Starlin, Perez, Waid, Bageley, Lee, WOlfman, Kirkman, etc.. at marvel.

Thats not really true, theres a lotta diversity at marvel. Thor's book is nothing like Captain America's which is nothing like Ironman's which is nothing like Hulk or Amazing Spiderman or the X-men books. I dont really see how Marvel isn't diverse??

Green Lantern?

It's really cool that DCs colorful non-street level world is blowing the doors of the Bendis /Quesada/Marvel Knights kinda stuff that all the marvel books seem to incorperate.

I don't know where this will lead...becuase Marvel's colorful non-street level stuff still sells so low.

I'm just tired of Bendis stuff on every stinking book. I'm tired that Marvel has driven off a lot of the talent i used to really like. I miss the diversity of books at Marvel. I miss Busiek, Starlin, Perez, Waid, Bageley, Lee, WOlfman, Kirkman, etc.. at marvel.

I think it is more the fact that the current run of events are now the third year of an on-going series of related events. You had the Sinestro Corp War, which spilled into Blackest Night, which spilled into Brightest Day. It is one of the smartest things they have ever done.

That is not to say that Marvel hasn't tried to capture that same feeling. Avengers Disassembled contributed to Civil War, which contributed to Secret Invasion, but the latter three are not nearly as well connected. The current events of Green Lantern seem like one huge epic. Heck, I started reading GL again because of Sinestro Corps War. Granted, I think Brightest Day has been a disappointment, but there is a lot of story telling going on. That, and Geoff Johns is a borderline genius. He is DC's answer to Bendis, except Johns seems capable of writing teams and solos.

I think it is more the fact that the current run of events are now the third year of an on-going series of related events. You had the Sinestro Corp War, which spilled into Blackest Night, which spilled into Brightest Day. It is one of the smartest things they have ever done.

That is not to say that Marvel hasn't tried to capture that same feeling. Avengers Disassembled contributed to Civil War, which contributed to Secret Invasion, but the latter three are not nearly as well connected. The current events of Green Lantern seem like one huge epic. Heck, I started reading GL again because of Sinestro Corps War. Granted, I think Brightest Day has been a disappointment, but there is a lot of story telling going on. That, and Geoff Johns is a borderline genius. He is DC's answer to Bendis, except Johns seems capable of writing teams and solos.

I find it the other way around. I was huge on Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night turned out to be a HUGE disappointment, IMO. Now, they have been spreading the Green Lantern world very thin with three Green Lantern titles AND Brightest Day; so, going into War Of The Green Lanterns, I'm feeling serious burnout. DC does seem to make things more epic; or, is it more they keep riding the same wave until everyone drops anchor? Many people, by the time Final Crisis came around, was Crisised out. Now, they are doing the same thing with Green Lantern. (And, I HOPE to God it isn't the same with Flash.)

Marvel's events did have a bit of connection; but, those weren't really huge, as to give the same burnout feeling. In the end, I think Marvel have come up with some better ideas, but the endings aren't always pleasing. And, looking back at last year, it would appear with the sales slump, that maybe getting away from the Big Event wasn't such a smart idea.

I just don't feel that 2010 was a great year for Johns. Flash has not gotten the sales they were hoping for (doesn't help with the delays) and Green Lantern's book has not been as good as it was in the past. Personally, I thought the best thing I read by him was the Superman origin retelling; but, didn't sales kind of suck for that one?

I agree with the Crisis franchise. I am tired of those. Blackest Night languished in some parts and the ending with the White ring seemed a bit sudden, but overall, it wasn't bad. I like Barry. I dislike retcons and resurrections, but much like when they brought back Colossus in Astonishing, I was pleased to see Barry once more. Though, the whole legacy thing is getting to be a bit much. Batman incorporate, Barry, Wally and Bart (I believe he came back, didn't he?).

As for big events in general, I feel that they are no real solution to improving readership. Honestly, I feel all of the sales spikes come from the same group of people that ruined this market; speculators. They grab up every major event issue in the hopes that in the future, it will be worth big bucks. In turn, it looks like people turn out in greater numbers because of events, where as the numbers for the rest of the year represent the true margin. I guess there is no easy answer.

Personally, I thought the best thing I read by him was the Superman origin retelling; but, didn't sales kind of suck for that one?

No, it sold really well actually, just horribly delayed

Basically agree with your thoughts, I just think there is a bit more to the reasons why..which is always the case I guess.

Thats not really true, theres a lotta diversity at marvel. Thor's book is nothing like Captain America's which is nothing like Ironman's which is nothing like Hulk or Amazing Spiderman or the X-men books. I dont really see how Marvel isn't diverse??

I don't know if I can really articulate what I meant. It's more or less that Marvel Knights feel , or some sort of quasi-realistic plausibility in the comics that i sense. You're right though, Marvel has some stuff i don't give much credit to, like series they ditch after 6 issues, like the Marvel adventures stuff etc..Maybe I just sense less of a priority on stuff i used to like. Marvel stuff tends to be a little more consitant with the lengthy decompression..but I don't read many DC books and many would probably argue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"