Female Super Hero - WW got there first, but can Marvel top it ?

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by InfinityWar, Feb 22, 2018.

1. InfinityWar Registered

What we saw with Black Panther was unbelievable. The 'social' wave of hype of empowering black ppl with their super hero on the big screen. Now we all know Wonder Woman got there before Capt Marvel - but can Capt Marvel also capitalize on empowering women and women movement, create hype for the film that will top WW in the box office ???

I think Brie Larson is a lot more relate-able to women than Gal Gadot. Gal Gadot is a foreign super model ! Brie is your everyday average girl next door. And she's going to get super powers rather than WW who was born into it.

Whats your opinion ?

2. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I reckon we can have both and they're not competing against each other

3. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Captain Marvel will be seen as continuing the push that Wonder Woman began. Wonder Woman was the one that set the course - to huge critical and financial success - and will forever be seen as such. I can see box office being close (although Captain Marvel is nowhere near as iconic as Wonder Woman as far as GAs are concerned, the movie carries the MCU brand), but even if Captain Marvel is as good and successful a movie as Wonder Woman, in terms of cultural impact there can never be another first.

#3 Milk Tray Guy, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

OTOH, its commercial success may well be higher, both from riding the wave, and starting from a stronger initial position ( tied to the MCU rather than the DCEU ).

5. SPO2 Dalisay Rebel in exile, again.

There can only be one first and Wonder Woman holds that distinction. MCU chapter 21 will stand or fall on its own merits and won't pick up any political bump

6. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Given the MCU brand, while I can't speak to impact or other aspects I dare say that going into production after the success of WW that Capt. Marvel has a likely chance of having elements in it that wouldn't or couldn't be done in WW.

7. InfinityWar Registered

You sure Capt. Marvel would get a political bump with being a female superhero movie ?? I am not sure I totally agree with that.

WW could have been the 'X-Men' while Captain Marvel might be the 'Spider-Man' follow up - a better and way more financial success. But we'll see....

8. NotNickFury Registered

Opinion is who cares about one topping the other so long as the movie is good? Not like Captain Marvel is under any sort of obligation or race to outdo or be better than another female-led comic book movie. This is the sort of 'us versus them' mentality that fans have to make these movies feel like competitions instead of just...well, movies. Particularly when the creators themselves are willing to congratulate each other on the success of their movies, as Patty Jenkins did with Black Panther and how Mark Ruffalo and Brie Larson praised Wonder Woman.

Also, both Larson and Gadot are huge Hollywood starlets. Neither are really 'relatable' to us commoners.

9. RomanticPenguin Superman loves ya

I just hope it's good

I could see it getting similar reviews

10. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Well said.

11. KevTravels Registered

I would guess WW was heavy with imagery and classic fandom.

Captain Marvel seems like it will be a modern kick in the butt to the haters and a high five to feminists, which is all good IMO.

Like girls saw WW and dressed up and all ages really dug her, but CM will be that thing that wins over little girls and has teenage girls truly freaking out for.

12. mclay18 Registered

If CM is as good as WW, then I'll be happy. No one needs to "outdo" each other, but it puts more pressure on Boden & Flack to deliver a high-quality film.

Which is not a bad thing.

13. Laderlappen Fat, drunk, and stupid

I don't think so. Because Wonder Woman came first, because of how iconic that character is and because of how well received that movie was, I don't see Captain Marvel topping it. Then again I think I liked Wonder Woman a little bit more than other people did.

Also just because Brie Larson is not as attractive as Gal Gadot doesn't mean she is more relatable. She's a big Hollywood elitists just like the rest of them.

14. BaronZemo Registered

Yes, it absolutely can. Both in quality and in box office. First of all it already looks like it has a prominent female presence which WW definitely suffered from since she abandoned every Amazon after the first act.

If Dewanda is indeed Monica then you will have two captain Marvel in the same film and i can see the film getting praise for it's titutlar characters and the female presence as a whole

15. DrCosmic Professor of Power

CM can and probably will top WW, both critically and financially, but it is also building on WW, both in terms of current popular trend as well as WW as the original marquee female superhero.

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

It doesn't need to top it. Personally, I just want it to be good.

17. Pink Matters Registered

Very well said, and couldn't agree more.

18. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

:up:

19. KevTravels Registered

The military angle might help it

or hurt it. Not often we see a female action star in a military role onscreen. Kicking butt that is.

20. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Only one that springs to mind off the top of my head is Michelle Rodriguez.

21. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

$-wise? It'll be hard DOM, though WW it has a much better shot. Quality-wise? Oh hell yes. I found WW rather middling to be honest(best of the DCEU but that ain't saying much). Very much like the very first Spider-man movie. CM has a much better chance there.

22. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Quality wise, I didn't expect it to top Wonder Woman and I don't think this movie was better than Wonder Woman, but so what? WhethER Captain Marvel is better or not, its just nice to see superHERoines headlining their own solo movie that aren't mediocre and both films are box office smasHERs. And now I can't wait for the Black Widow film.

23. writer0327 Registered

Based on these numbers, it looks like CM is going to top WW and maybe hit $1B which is huge, and sets the table for Black Widow to see if she can top it. I think it's important to have films competing against each other on various levels (i.e.: female-led superhero film vs female-led superhero film) because we get better films in the long run.

24. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

This is a totally different film than Wonder Woman. I liked WW but it is way more if a traditional origin story. CM is this combination of a sci-fi/90 buddies cop flick with a bit of the feel of films like Alien Nation, Robo Cop and Terminator to boot. If you were around for films of that era this film will take you back. Wonder Woman was already a cultural icon before her film debut. I think that this film is really going to put Carol Danvers on the map.

25. Frodo Registered

Yeah, it did take me back to films like T2, Alien nation, and other buddie cop films like Die Hard 3 which Sam Jackson was in around that same time.

It actually reminds me of a 90s era James Cameron film in alot of ways . It is a throwback to be sure, but that's what I like about.