The 50 Best Marvel Characters

I read about 20 comics that featured him and hes been pretty much the same in all.

In all those hes barking orders, speaking in the third person, being arrogent ect.

I love his character though.

Do you have any suggestions of Doom stories?

"Unthinkable" (especially the prologue issue)
Emperor Doom OGN
Doom mini-series from 2000
Books of Doom

all the ones corpy suggested are great, but by far the greatest is a graphic novel called Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment. Might be a little hard to find though, check ebay. But that is an absolutely gorgeous book, no question about it.

After that, Unthinkable is the most important.

25919844280.1.GN.gif

Hulk beat out Wolvie so this list can't be THAT bad.

I appreciate what this guy is doing with this list. Let's face it - comicbooks are inherently absurb and ridiculous things. Much of his list here are characters who embrace absurdity, and make it so that the absurdity is not only cool, but incredible. Characters like Silver Surfer and Galactus are inherently ridiculous, yet because their very essence embraces their ridiculousness, they are cool again.

I like that he did this with his list. It's not about who's popular, who sells well, and who's an ass-kicker. It's all, one-hundred percent about characters who remind us that we are reading comicbooks.

There are five Summers brothers too many on that list. And Professor X, I'll tell you what Lilandra saw in him; He's just as boring as she is.

And I love MODOK. Come on, Eli, don't pretend like you're not jelous jes' 'cause you didn't think of it first.

I agree immensely with the Kraven, Ego, MODOK, Kang, JJJ, Fin Fang Foom, and Anihilus, though. Personally, I would have swapped Nightmare or Mephisto for Chuck Javier, but I can't complain. Swarm is an odd choice. Might as well have gone for Bluestreak, or somebody.

Not a bad list.

But where is Thor?!?!?!?

Yes I am a one track fan boy...but

I would nomitate Frank Castle...

He is a very tragic, shakespearean character....While the vigilante has become cliche in general I think Castle is still relevant....His character being around for 30 years doesnt hurt...Aside from the Ennis run, you take a man that could have been the next Captain America and turn his world upside down....every man has a breaking point and we see Castle's...The Punisher is a look into the real pysche of a man who has lost everything...What would you do in the same shoes?

As for the coolness factor...well who doesnt wish that all criminals got theirs in the end....Batman uses fear on the street...but I would fear death more than an ass whoopin...The Punishers skull is very iconic...Castle has a determination that is unmatched in any comic...and he simply gets the job done

My second nomiantion for best Marvel character, after Wolverine, is Spider-Man, and I'll post a whole buncha reasons later.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Can we veto nominations? Because Gambit has no place on any "top" anything lists, as far as I'm concerned. He's everything that was wrong with the '90s.

Nah, you can't veto but you can kiss my ass!:mad:

Heh, I don't attend the Church of Corpulent and THIS is why!:( I chose my character and gave my reasoning, not everyone hated the 90's.....just alot of you.:O

Genesis 1.0 said:
Nah, you can't veto but you can kiss my ass!:mad:

Heh, I don't attend the Church of Corpulent and THIS is why!:( I chose my character and gave my reasoning, not everyone hated the 90's.....just all of you with any taste.:O
Fixed that last bit for ya. ;)

How the hell is Thor not worthy....bulllll*****ttttt!!!
Where is....?
Sabretooth
Storm
Rogue
Why not Remy? Modok and J. Jonah Jameson made it c'mon?
Black Cat
Mystique
Banshee
Cable?????/Stryfe
Apocolypse...wtf?
Sentry
Nova
Quasar
Mr. Sinister
Scarlett Witch
Aunt May
Blade
Gladiator
Deathbird
Ms. Marvel
Iceman(XSE)
Dark Phoenix
Psylocke

TheCorpulent1 said:
Can we veto nominations? Because Gambit has no place on any "top" anything lists, as far as I'm concerned. He's everything that was wrong with the '90s.

How so?

ookami said:
How the hell is Thor not worthy....bulllll*****ttttt!!!
Where is....?
Sabretooth
Storm
Rogue
Why not Remy? Modok and J. Jonah Jameson made it c'mon?
Black Cat
Mystique
Banshee
Cable?????/Stryfe
Apocolypse...wtf?
Sentry
Nova
Quasar
Mr. Sinister
Scarlett Witch
Aunt May
Blade
Gladiator
Deathbird
Ms. Marvel
Iceman(XSE)
Dark Phoenix
Psylocke

Ok because you have aunt may on here your other choices are tarnished:( Also the only interesting sabertooth is the exile one.

RAMORE said:
Trenchcoat, cookie-cutter "bad boy" personality, charming womanizer, the hair, etc. I just can't stand anything about Gambit except maybe his past in the Thieves Guild and the stuff with Belladonna.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Fixed that last bit for ya. ;)

lol, stop it Edit Man!:(

So you didn't like Gambit, but nothing you named there is universal and there are plenty of man-****e, trenchcoat wearing, bad boy types in the MU. Gambit was smooth and his character showed an immense amount of growth because of the rough start, thus his insane spike in popularity. Not to mention that in a Universe where most of anyone gets their powers by radiation, and then the rest have crazy strength and magical powers, his abilities are unique.

Name other characters like that and they'll probably be other characters I hate, too. I realize that it's probably an irrational hatred, and I do admit that Gambit's grown a bit (most notably in the ongoing initially penciled by Steve Skroce), but in the end he always ends up back with Rogue being the stereotypical loner/bad boy with a charming accent who's hopelessly in love with the one girl he can't get. If you had to give Gambit a title based on Marvel's current titling system, in fact, he'd probably be "New Wolverine." :p

"Unique" has never been a big selling point in comics with me. Everything in comics grows from, is influenced by, or directly rips off something else. Everything in most creative media does that, in fact. Plus, a unique mutant power buried under cliché upon cliché upon cliché does not a good character make, as far as I'm concerned.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Name other characters like that and they'll probably be other characters I hate, too. I realize that it's probably an irrational hatred, and I do admit that Gambit's grown a bit (most notably in the ongoing initially penciled by Steve Skroce), but in the end he always ends up back with Rogue being the stereotypical loner/bad boy with a charming accent who's hopelessly in love with the one girl he can't get. If you had to give Gambit a title based on Marvel's current titling system, in fact, he'd probably be "New Wolverine." :p

"Unique" has never been a big selling point in comics with me. Everything in comics grows from, is influenced by, or directly rips off something else. Everything in most creative media does that, in fact. Plus, a unique mutant power buried under cliché upon cliché upon cliché does not a good character make, as far as I'm concerned.

Irrational hatred is alright with me, it's covered under the Constitution and my medical insurance.:up: As to the power comment, I placed that there to countermand the fact that you seem to feel he's cookie cutter when alot of his aspects are the exact opposite of that. And if we're talking cliche, well you've just stamped a good number of Marvel's characters.

True, and I just said that everything in comics is a rip-off of something else and, by the definition of the word, a cliché. But in my opinion there are good clichés like a struggling teen who overcomes a guilty conscience to prove himself a hero and there are bad clichés like... well, you know where I'm going with that one. ;)

I do indeed, which would lead us eventually on a tangent. I'm quite willing to agree to disagree with it, not everyone likes who I do, thankfully. But I am interested in who you'd nominate, there are 48 more slots left.

(Is betting Thor will be named)

I can't come up with a list of the 50 "best" characters. I like different characters more at different times.

No, No, No. Just as I did with Doc Destruction's suggestion, each member nominates one. Someone said Wolverine, I put up Gambit, Phaed just tossed in Taskmaster (good choice) and you, picking ONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"