Ferrigno talks TIH

Obi-Ron

Deal with it
Reaction score
http://www.bigpictureradio.com/2008/01/phoenix-comicon-update-lou-ferrigno.html

The Phoenix Cactus Comicon is a little over a week away, and one of the weekend's more anticipated visits will be that of Lou Ferrigno, who made his mark as The Incredible Hulk on TV back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Today, Ferrigno, who's still massive, still in remarkable shape and still in demand to make appearances for his many fans from the series, still acts in the occasional film or TV show and a couple of years ago was even named a volunteer deputy in Los Angeles County.

When we spoke by phone, Ferrigno confirmed that he will pop up in this summer's The Incredible Hulk, saying, "I have a couple great scenes with Edward Norton. I can't say what I'm going to be doing, but apparently the Hulk will be nine feet tall instead of 40 feet tall and his form will be more like the TV series."

Of course, Ferrigno was in the previous Hulk movie, the one we're supposed to forget about (Obi-Ron: NEVER!!! :cmad: ) :

"Ang Lee broke boundaries where he showed the comic book version, but now they want to concentrate more on the Hulk character, and I think Edward Norton is a great choice because he came in and helped rewrite the script and kind of took over where Bill Bixby left off."
Lou says he tries to wade through as much fan mail as he can at his official site, louferrigno.com, where you can buy Hulk memorabilia and even fitness equipment endorsed by Lou.

Like many of the guests at this year's Comicon, Ferrigno will be hanging around most of the weekend, beginning with the preview on Friday night, January 25th, and on both Saturday and Sunday, the 26th and 27th. Get a full schedule of events, ticket info, and almost daily programming updates at their website, phoenixcomicon.com.

And between now and January 25th, The Big Picture will have exclusive interviews with more guests, including Tim Russ from Star Trek: Voyager, and both Chewbacca and Boba Fett (Peter Mayhew and Jeremy Bulloch).

Saying the new Hulk's look will be "more like the TV series" will generate worse word-of-mouth than the Shrek series and the "Hulk" workprint combined.

BOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!

I think what he means by looking like the TV Show Hulk is that the Hulk will have messy, scruffy like hair and be kinda the greyish, green appearance like in the TV Show.

The more i hear about this movie the more i am certain i wont like it.

what does 'instead of 40 ft tall supposed to mean'

he'd only be six feet shorter than the last hulk which would make him about the size he was when he transformed for the second time.

silly people....

Look more like the TV show? Is he on dope?
The pics of Hulk we have look NOTHING like the TV show...

I would take everything he says with a grain of salt and then forget about it. There is no added value to his words.

I hope they keep Lou's cameo intact.. too bad Bixby didn't live, he could have had a good cameo, too..

I think they just meant closer to actual human proportions, which to me is a good thing.

I think what he means by looking like the TV Show Hulk is that the Hulk will have messy, scruffy like hair and be kinda the greyish, green appearance like in the TV Show.

Of course that's what he means. But the negative pessimists have already made up their minds that this movie cannot possibly even begin to live up to the magnificence that was Ang Lee's Hulk....or that it's just going to suck, period.

If you've made up your mind to hate something, you will.

And by the way, the new design for the Hulk IS closer to the TV series, in that the 2008 Hulk looks more muscular than Ang Lee's Hulk.
To me, Hulk should have a smaller waist (than Ang's). Bodybuilders USED to have small waists--it makes your lats and delts appear even larger and more impressive. However, bodybuilders that dump a lot of chemicals into their bodies (steroids, growth hormone, etc.) tend to have "puffy" stomachs. Instead of having a flat stomach, it actually sticks out and doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing.

Unfortunately, when ILM used bodybuilders as models for Hulk's physique, they failed to take this into consideration. Since the Hulk's muscles are not a result of steroids and such, he should have none of the side effects of said drugs, right?

Ang's Hulk's jaw was wider than the rest of his head (more HGH side-effects). 2008's Hulk (and the TV show's Hulk) have no such problem.

I'm not saying I like the Hulk to look "skinny", but I remember on this board (when the first images of the movie Hulk were surfacing) that most people were saying that he looked a little "pudgy" (not to mention that, around that time, EVERYBODY I talked to said he looked like a green Michelin Man or Marshmallow Man--those two characters aren't exactly the trimmest in the world, eh? And let's not even get into the tsunami that was the Shrek comparisons).

And by the way, the new design for the Hulk IS closer to the TV series, in that the 2008 Hulk looks more muscular than Ang Lee's Hulk.

Sigh, I wish they would release an actual movie pic of old greenskin so we would know for sure.

Of course that's what he means. But the negative pessimists have already made up their minds that this movie cannot possibly even begin to live up to the magnificence that was Ang Lee's Hulk....or that it's just going to suck, period.

Thank you for acknowledging this. I was going to say the same thing, but with respect to those who abhored the TV show. Namely that the "negative pessimists" (isn't this being redundant?) have already made up their minds that TIH will suck on account of its similarities to anything-Lou Ferrigno, which is a shame. If anything, IMO, it's exactly opposite the case that the show will have anything but a profoundly positive impact on TIH. How one surmises TIH and/or any associated word-of-mouth will be worse off because of the liking it takes to the show, which as of today remains popular among non-comic book geeks, escapes me.

Also reason I've made a comment or two that "if you've made up your mind to hate something, you will" in the past also, so I agree with you there.

In any event, it's interesting how many different sides of the Hulk coin we find ourselves on, isn't it? Since I joined this forum about a year ago, it's been nothing short of amazing to me just how different we all are on the Hulk "issues." I don't think any two of us share the exact feelings on even a handful of them. I've listed a few below. Would love to see where people stand. Feel free to add to it, also.

Ang Lee's Hulk: Liked it

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: Liked all except Josh Lucas and the soldier extras

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: Our loss...

Present mood about TIH: Good/positive

The TIH draft script, including reviews: Love it

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten: None

TIH cast: Excited about Norton, ho-hum about Liv, VERY curious about William Hurt

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: In Leterrier We Trust. I think he'll lead us to the Promised Land.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: Doesn't matter to me

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Liked it, jellyfish and all

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: Very excited

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): A good mix of both

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Cool

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: Combination of strength/smarts is fine with me.

New York City as the final battle scene? Love it

The Leader's role: Preferably small/none throughout, but a lot at the end

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: Almost none

Projected TIH revenue: Guess I'd be happy with $200M domestically

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: Ha! We've waited this long, what's a few more months, if not?

Thank you for acknowledging this. I was going to say the same thing, but with respect to those who abhored the TV show. Namely that the "negative pessimists" (isn't this being redundant?) have already made up their minds that TIH will suck on account of its similarities to anything-Lou Ferrigno, which is a shame. If anything, IMO, it's exactly opposite the case that the show will have anything but a profoundly positive impact on TIH. How one surmises TIH and/or any associated word-of-mouth will be worse off because of the liking it takes to the show, which as of today remains popular among non-comic book geeks, escapes me.

Also reason I've made a comment or two that "if you've made up your mind to hate something, you will" in the past also, so I agree with you there.

In any event, it's interesting how many different sides of the Hulk coin we find ourselves on, isn't it? Since I joined this forum about a year ago, it's been nothing short of amazing to me just how different we all are on the Hulk "issues." I don't think any two of us share the exact feelings on even a handful of them. I've listed a few below. Would love to see where people stand. Feel free to add to it, also.

Ang Lee's Hulk: Liked it, but it fell short in the f/x department. The reason being the consistency of the Hulk varied too much. It took too long to show the Hulk (even my father, a non-comic book fan was asking: "When are they gonna show the Hulk?"). The helicopters looked like toys. Just to name a few things. Lets not talk about the never ending comic book style cut scenes.

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: Bana looked constipated at times and forced. The little kid looked ******ed. Josh Lucas was lame and the soldier extras were...pathetic looking. Looked like regular national guard guys.

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: Great actor...but thought he was a little skinny for the role and didn't have the I'm in charge feel to him. Buy far the best of the cast though.

Present mood about TIH: Excited, impatient, optimistic.

The TIH draft script, including reviews: Love it!!!

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten: None because I, unlike many have no patience in this area.

TIH cast: Think Norton and Liv will have better chemistry than the last two. Bana never owned any scene between them.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: I just hope Ang is watching. Can you say action plus a comprehensive story combined? I think he'll do just fine.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: Doesn't matter to me

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Didn't like the flash on, flash off exposure used during the accident. It looked cheesy. BTW, did I mention it looked cheesy?

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: Very excited about the homage being paid with it going overboard. I liked the TV series and hope they call pull it off and still be original.

The degree/measure that TIH will be action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): A dark Hulk, good story and action!

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Effin sweet!

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination:
Just get angry and smash his ass!
New York City as the final battle scene? I'm from NYC, can I ask for more?!

The Leader's role: Just "Lead" us to a sequel baby!!!

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: What do you mean the Hulk shirt doesn't come in XXL? I want the Video game and will own the movie!

Projected TIH revenue: I'd be happy with it doubling the cost to make it, so they can make another.

Insistence that a trailer be released in conjunction with Super Bowl XLII:At this point, even I am anxious to see it.

BannerlessHulk:

Ang Lee's Hulk: Liked it, but it fell short in the f/x department. The reason being the consistency of the Hulk varied too much. It took too long to show the Hulk (even my father, a non-comic book fan was asking: "When are they gonna show the Hulk?"). The helicopters looked like toys. Just to name a few things. Lets not talk about the never ending comic book style cut scenes.

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: Bana looked constipated at times and forced. The little kid looked ******ed. Josh Lucas was lame and the soldier extras were...pathetic looking. Looked like regular national guard guys.

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: Great actor...but thought he was a little skinny for the role and didn't have the I'm in charge feel to him. Buy far the best of the cast though.

Present mood about TIH: Excited, impatient, optimistic.

The TIH draft script, including reviews: Love it!!!

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten: None because I, unlike many have no patience in this area.

TIH cast: Think Norton and Liv will have better chemistry than the last two. Bana never owned any scene between them.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: I just hope Ang is watching. Can you say action plus a comprehensive story combined? I think he'll do just fine.

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Didn't like the flash on, flash off exposure used during the accident. It looked cheesy. BTW, did I mention it looked cheesy?

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: Very excited about the homage being paid with it going overboard. I liked the TV series and hope they call pull it off and still be original.

The degree/measure that TIH will be action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): A dark Hulk, good story and action!

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Effin sweet!

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination:
Just get angry and smash his ass!
New York City as the final battle scene? I'm from NYC, can I ask for more?!

The Leader's role: Just "Lead" us to a sequel baby!!!

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: What do you mean the Hulk shirt doesn't come in XXL? I want the Video game and will own the movie!

Projected TIH revenue: I'd be happy with it doubling the cost to make it, so they can make another.

Insistence that a trailer be released in conjunction with Super Bowl XLII:At this point, even I am anxious to see it.

Ang Lee's Hulk: tried too hard and got boring

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: meh. Bana and Connelly did nothing for me.

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: Elliot was good but Hurt will deliver so I have no worries.

Present mood about TIH: Pumped!

The TIH draft script, including reviews: no idea, I don't do heavy spoilers.

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten Que?
TIH cast: Thrilled about Norton and Roth. Hurt will deliver and Tyler is hot.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: I'm not familiar with his earlier work but I've liked his vision so far.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: So this is an origin story?

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: It got the job done.

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: I'm not familiar with the TV show. I'm guessing that very few people here in Finland are.

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): It needs to be action-packed and fun because the previous Hulk movie wasn't. I hope they are going all out this time around.

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Downey Jr. cameo would be sooooo sweet!

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: Betty's life is in danger and Hulk gets mad as hell!

New York City as the final battle scene? Sounds cool.

The Leader's role: Nothing major. Something humble yet cool.

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: I want The Ultimate Destruction so bad! But for some reason it's a really hard game to find here in Finland.

Projected TIH revenue: $180 million domestically.

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: Where's the teaser trailer? The movie opens in June! We need footage!

To me, Hulk should have a smaller waist (than Ang's). Bodybuilders USED to have small waists--it makes your lats and delts appear even larger and more impressive. However, bodybuilders that dump a lot of chemicals into their bodies (steroids, growth hormone, etc.) tend to have "puffy" stomachs. Instead of having a flat stomach, it actually sticks out and doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing.

Unfortunately, when ILM used bodybuilders as models for Hulk's physique, they failed to take this into consideration. Since the Hulk's muscles are not a result of steroids and such, he should have none of the side effects of said drugs, right?

Ang's Hulk's jaw was wider than the rest of his head (more HGH side-effects). 2008's Hulk (and the TV show's Hulk) have no such problem.

I'm not saying I like the Hulk to look "skinny", but I remember on this board (when the first images of the movie Hulk were surfacing) that most people were saying that he looked a little "pudgy" (not to mention that, around that time, EVERYBODY I talked to said he looked like a green Michelin Man or Marshmallow Man--those two characters aren't exactly the trimmest in the world, eh? And let's not even get into the tsunami that was the Shrek comparisons).

Thats not the case actually, plenty of time i have gone to watch something that i was sure i would hate and then actually really enjoyed it.

At this point, i dont like a lot of what i am hearing on TIH, but i havent ruled out the possibility that it might completely blow me away, i seriously hope this is the case. Because if it isnt, we might not be seeing a Hulk movie on screen for a LONG time, which isnt something i want.

I think Lou meant story wise. Where his show really contrated on david banner and what was going on with him. In that sense it will be like TIH. Atleast i hope thats what he meant.

Ang Lee's Hulk: Took too long to see the Hulk. Hulk was not challenged enouh in that film. Wasn't to bad though.

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: I kindah liked Bana and Connely

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: I was hoping to have him back, I think he had a strong screen presence and a cool voice.

Present mood about TIH: Excited and a very anxious! A lil impatient

The TIH draft script, including reviews: I avoided them. Don't like spoilers

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten None. I have no control over it so no sense getting worked up.

TIH cast: Not too familar with Norton, but I think he will do a good job. Have to wait and see with the others.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: I liked the Transporter films so I think he will bring us more action than Ang's film.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: Doesn't matter to me either. Frankly I'm kindah hoping they modernize it a bit.

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Wasn't bad. Could have been better but I'm satisfied.

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: Hope it captures the intensity of the transformations and upgrades it to the 21st Century.

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): HULK SMASH A LOT! Action and Fun most definitely. Don't mind if they mix in some seriousness too, that's cool with me but please not as serious as Ang's

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Looking forward to it.

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: Hulk gets mad because Abom attacks someone innocent and smashes him to unconsciousness

New York City as the final battle scene? Lots of Cars, Big Buildings, Sounds Like a lot of destruction potential. Me likey!

The Leader's role: Just an introduction really. I don't even think I wanna see his transformation unless to the end of the film.

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: The Only interest I will have will be the Video game and maybe the DVD.

Projected TIH revenue: I hope its enough to make the sequel even bigger and better.

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: GIVE US A TRAILER WE HAVE BEEN WAITING LONG ENOUGH!!!

:cwink: Sure, I'll play.

Ang Lee's Hulk: Saved my life. Literally.

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: Bana sounded like he was trying too hard to hide his Australian accent, also he was too large physically. Connelly was underused but believable, Nolte and Elliott were great

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: He'll be missed, but this is a new endeavour so it really wouldn't make sense for him to return

Present mood about TIH: Hulkamania running wild!

The TIH draft script, including reviews: I skimmed the early draft, don't want to be too spoiled but it seemed a good start. Hearing of Norton's involvement in the script is good news.

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten Would like to see more than we have, but I'll live.

TIH cast: Liv Tyler is the only "maybe," but she is uber hot so I am certainly not complaining.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: Unsure. Not familiar enough with his previous work.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: I believe the original origin was lifted from bad 50's sci-fi shlock (esp. The Amazing Colossal Man) and could use updating. Rick Jones is a must, though, somewhere.

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Krenzler? :huh:

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: All depends on if Letterrier gives me my scene with Jack McGee and Rick Jones together. :yay:

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): Hopefully more "fun" to watch than Ang Lee's Hulk but not just a mindless FX orgy.

The crossover scene with Iron Man: The more Easter Eggs, the better.

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: Bruce spends some quality time with Nadia Blonsky and puts the video on the internet.

New York City as the final battle scene? Can't complain. Hope to see some more of the American southwest, though.

The Leader's role: Hopefully subtle and not shoehorned in as an unneeded extra villain :-)venom:)

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: We'll just have to wait and see what catches my eye. I'm sure I'll pick up the game and the DVD goes without saying.

Projected TIH revenue: A gajillion simoleons

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: No thanks, don't need more Shrek talk from idiot jocks.

Well, let's see here....

Ang Lee's Hulk: Interesting, but flawed

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: Bana was too large physically IMO, Connelly & Elliott were both perfect, Josh Lucas.....not so much

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: See above

Present mood about TIH: Trepidation

The TIH draft script, including reviews: Didn't want to spoil the movie, so I skipped it

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten I'm fine with this, although something new very soon is crucial

TIH cast: Liv Tyler could work, I'm not sure yet, but without question Norton IS Banner

Confidence in LL as TIH's director: Zero

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: Not especially important, considering the era the Hulk was created in, but I do think something similar would be beneficial. And please, can we get a Rick Jones scenario somewhere....

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: Interesting, but flawed, like much of the movie

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: From what I'm reading, it seems like a whole lot

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): Definitely needs more action, but all Hulk-smash with no substance won't be any better than Ang's approach IMO

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Could work, could suck

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: I don't care, as long as it looks good

New York City as the final battle scene? Makes sense, gives the Hulk a whole bunch of stuff to break

The Leader's role: Hopefully minimal, set him up as the villain in the next sequel (if this film warrants one, that is)

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: None really, I had fun with all the toys and games the first go round, this time I need a classic movie

Projected TIH revenue: Let's just say I hope for the best

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: If it contains finished cgi (which I can't see being possible)then yes, but anything less and believe me, I'll wait

his apartment burned down while he was watching Hulk in the cinema

For real? So basically his bad taste saved his life when he decided to see a crap fest like Hulk in a theatre.

Obviously I'm just joking. I'm glad he didn't get hurt.

Ang Lee's Hulk: Parts of it were good.

Ang Lee's Hulk cast: I liked Sam Elliott. The rest :sleepy:

Thoughts on not having Sam Elliott back for TIH: A shame but if you're going to re-start the thing you have to wipe the slate clean.

Present mood about TIH: Mine? Hopeful.

The TIH draft script, including reviews: Liked parts of it

Number of fuses blown over the few official pics, trailers, etc. we've gotten: None

TIH cast: Not thrilled about William Hurt. The rest sounds pretty good. I'm not real sure about about Liv. I like her but she can be hit or miss.

Confidence in LL as TIH's director:I hope he'll lead us to the Promised Land.

The degree/measure that TIH absolutely must get Hulk's origin right, per the comics: Key. It doesn't have to be the gamma bomb but the idea has to be consistent with the comic.

The Hulk's origin in Ang Lee's Hulk: LOL!!!

The degree/measure that the TV show will influence TIH: Not thrilled about it.

TIH as being action-packed fun/adventure or grounded in reality ("serious"): We need a good story and action that is necessary for the story to unfold. Not midless action for the sake of seeing the Hulk smash things.

The crossover scene with Iron Man: Cool

How the Hulk defeats the Abomination: "Hulk is the strongest one there is!" Nuff said

New York City as the final battle scene? Big deal :whatever:

The Leader's role: Preferably small/none throughout, but a lot at the end

Interest in Hulk merchandise, video games, etc: I like the Hulk bobble head. Will buy a Hulk t-shirt when they come out.

Projected TIH revenue: more than a buck

Insistence that a trailer be released with Super Bowl XLII: Who am I to insist on anything. I'm just a Hulk fan. Would like to see a trailer one day but I can wait

I hope that this movie is not an updated TV show. From what we've see it could very well trun out that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"