Film Analysis project

imaperson2

Bombastic
Reaction score
So I am doing a film analysis essay for my Film & Television class, but it has to be on a movie that I haven't seen. There are two movies that I have in mind: Moon and The Fall. I am still not sure if I even want to do any of these movies, so I ask you guys: What films do you recommend for me to watch and analyze? Appreciate it in advance

Why does it have to be on a movie that you haven't seen before? Can't you pick a movie that you've watched before and love and just tell your teacher that you haven't seen it?

Well I wondered the same thing at first, but I see her point. She wants us to go in with a clean slate and no preconceived ideas of how the movie is. I'd just like to see what movies others think are good to analyze(which I guess no one wants to help :p)

Here are some various ones I think would be interesting.

Adaptation.
Being John Malkovich
Blue Velvet
Brick
Dark City
I'm Not There
Match Point
Night of the Hunter
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Rope
A Serious Man

I didn't include anything that struck me as ultra-famous; I think about any of the Coen brothers' movies would be good, for example, but I didn't list Fargo or No Country For Old Men because I figure most people have seen them.

What are the specific criteria? What exactly does the assignment entail?

I like both movies. The Fall is visually stunning and Moon's pretty much a one man play so it might be easier.

What are the specific criteria? What exactly does the assignment entail?

What I was going to ask. Are you looking for anything specific or are you looking from any particular school of criticism or anything like that?

MJP, I was also considering A Serious Man since I rented it a couple days ago!

Whoops, I forgot to go into more detail. Well first, we have to give a little history about the production and a summary of the movie. The main chunk of it is the analysis, which is all up to us. It can be about the genre, the setting and characterizations, symbols, camera angles, narrative, etc...it's really up to us. I just want to know what movie is good for that-one that allows to dig deeper and find a greater meaning.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess those would be okay. I'm not sure on The Fall, but I'm sure Moon could handle some deeper analysis. Just to throw out other potential examples for movies that may lend to similar ways; The Fountain, Akira, 2001, and Solaris (original '70s version)

8 1/2
Solaris
M.
Days of Heaven
Baraka
Fitzcarraldo
Do the Right Thing
The Seventh Seal
Wings of Desire
Sunrise
La Dolce Vita
Magnolia
Punch Drunk Love
Cache
Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead
Paris, Texas
Double Indemnity
L'Avventura
Raise the Red Lantern
Nashville

I'd highly suggest Mulholland Drive.

Out of the 2 choices you stated, I'd go with Moon.

Also,
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
The Wall
2001: A Space Odyssey
Fantasia
The Shining
Donnie Darko
King Kong (1933)
Brazil

But I have no idea which of these movies you haven't seen.

Of the two mentioned in the thread, Moon probably lends itself to more obvious analysis. Especially if you're familiar with movies like 2001 and Silent Running.

If you have Turner Classic Movies, there's a Kurosawa festival this month which should give you all sorts of opportunities. For instance, tonight has The Bad Sleep Well, High and Low (particularly interesting from the standpoint of cinematography, especially the use of wide screen to create a claustrophobic environment, and a narrative split in the middle where the second half becomes something of a police procedural while the first half is more of a character based potboiler), Red Beard, I Live in Fear, and Scandal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"