• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Films you just took a chance on one day that ended up becoming favourites of yours

easy a.

got dragged into watching it kicking and screaming. i ended up recommending it to all my friends.

The Village & Kick-Ass

I didn't expect to like American Beauty as much as I did. Glad I took a chance on that movie.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Papillon
Spirited Away
Match Point
Closer

I saw Vanilla Sky without ever seeing a trailer or any type of promotion outside the poster. I had no idea the movie was going to be that good.

Also my parents dragged me to Scream. It looked like a generic horror film and I had no interest. I decided that since they were paying I'd just go anyway. I enjoyed it much more than they did .

Recently, Upside Down, saw it at Redbox and took a chance knowing nothing about it.

I was sent some tickets to The Way Way Back. It is pretty good, worth seeing if it is playing in your area.

In The Company of Wolves
The Devils
The Exorcist
Amadeus

The Place Beyond the Pines.
Walked into the theater knowing nothing about it other than Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper were in it.

Went back five more times :p

Lots of films I first saw when I stumbled across them on television and ended up loving. The Right Stuff is a good example.

Turner Classics is a good source of these types of films.

The Big Lebowski.

I remember stumbling across the rug urination scene one night, when I was violently sick, in middle school. Come junior year, my friend and I were devising how to spend the B&N gift card he was given, when he found a copy of the film and said, "**** it."

I have lost track of how many times I have seen the film. I quote it most of the time and am a minister of the Church of the Latter Day Dude.

Singing in the Rain. I love musicals, but I'd never seen this one for some reason. So last summer, they were showing it in theaters for its 60th anniversary and I decided to finally see it. Omg, I can't believe it took me so long to see this movie! It was so funny, and the music and the dancing were incredible!

I bought the blu-ray that same week and I've seen it a bunch of times since. It's definitely now one of my favorite movies. :up:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

This is another one for me. Rise of the Planet of the Apes is another victim of bad marketing. I thought it looked kind of bad prior to release. Watched it later and thought it was awesome. It actually got me to watch the rest of the series for the first time as well.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Beyond the Black Rainbow
The Skin I Live In
Mean Girls

Though I wouldn't call it an all time favorite I was convinced I wouldn't like World War Z until my friends convinced me to see it. Totally lived up to the hype for me.

I never saw in Theatres and assumed the box office reception meant the movie sucked, but when I rented Scott Pilgrim it immediately became one of my favorites.

Swingers
The Matrix
The Bourne Identity

LA Confidential. Was not in the right state of mind (lol) so couldn't fall asleep at 4 am. It came on tv and I just couldn't change the channel. Now one of my all time favorite films. :)

Cast Away.

Turned out to be one of the greatest films I've ever watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"