Formula One

What bad luck for him. :dry:

Hamilton back in it after this weekend. 12 point gap between him and Vettel at the top now.

Azerbaijan qualifying finishes with Hamilton and Bottas 1 and 2, and Raikonnen and Vettel 3 and 4.

Is it safe to talk about the race now or should I wait until the morning to avoid spoiling people?

This is kind of a special interest thread with very few visitors. And you'd expect those who have enough interest that they'd care about the result to know that the week's race has happened. I don't think there's much need to avoid talking about it. Can use tags if you want to but I don't think it matters like it does for a major film/show where a load of people are regularly active in the thread before they've seen the thing in question and while others have. It's pretty much the same in all the sports threads with people talking about results as soon as they've happened or live as they're happening.

I've had race results ruined for me in the past, which is why I asked. My thoughts on the exhausting Baku Race

I think Vettel should have been parked up for what he did, he was stupid and he was dangerous with how he reacted to Lewis backing the pack up on the SC restart. The fact he (AFAIK still) wouldn't acknowledge his ramming is worrying.

Whoever put the headrest in on Hamilton's car must be kicking themselves tonight... they cost him a win...

Awesome to see Stroll get a podium, though it's a shame he was pipped at the line by Bottas (brilliant recovery drive from him). Riccardo's banzai move mid race was insane and it was a shame Kimi's race got ruined right at the start.

Not shocked they threw the red, there was a lot of carbon fibre all over the shop, made sense to pause & clean up.

Force India and Sauber need to get their drivers in check, the first rule of motorsport is to never crash into your team mate.

Damn shame about Alonso's pace just vanishing... he was on course for a damn good finish.

Seen the race now. Shame how it turned out, don't like when things get messy like this. Has Vettel apologised?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40431244
Sebastian Vettel: FIA could take further action over Lewis Hamilton collision

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel could face further punishment for his collision with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Governing body the FIA is to hold a meeting on 3 July to "further examine the causes of the incident to evaluate whether further action is necessary".

The outcome will be made public before the Austrian Grand Prix on 7-9 July.

Vettel was given a 10-second stop-and-go penalty and three points on his licence for driving into Hamilton.

Lewis deserved it. He caused a collision in the first place, then started crying like a child when it was returned. Especially as what Lewis did was the actual dangerous bit and put more debris on the track.

Lewis backed off from the Safety car... that's all he did, Seb was the one not properly focussed and hit Lewis... then threw a hissy fit that saw him hit Lewis again so hard he went off the ground.

Lewis did nothing wrong.... apart from backing off from the SC in the wrong spot... not illegal by any means.

The fact that Seb won't even acknowledge he rammed into Lewis after the first contact is shocking and worrying IMHO. I hope the FIA throw the book at him for his dangerous actions

Lewis backed off from the Safety car... that's all he did, Seb was the one not properly focussed and hit Lewis... then threw a hissy fit that saw him hit Lewis again so hard he went off the ground.

Lewis did nothing wrong.... apart from backing off from the SC in the wrong spot... not illegal by any means.

The fact that Seb won't even acknowledge he rammed into Lewis after the first contact is shocking and worrying IMHO. I hope the FIA throw the book at him for his dangerous actions
Nope. There was plenty of time to the line. He did that **** intentionally, especially as he was plenty far away from the safety car, which couldn't even be seen on screen when the incident happened. And the only reason he didn't get a penalty was because his team messed up. They penalized themselves. This is also exactly why Seb got penalized when he did.

Seb knows what he did. He doesn't have to say it. And that wasn't dangerous, at all. Who got hurt? Who was ever going to get hurt from that? British fans, goodness. :funny:

Disagree completely.... Lewis had been warned heavily by his team on the first SC restart as he'd almost overtaken it before the line, so he'd taken the precaution to build a big enough gap... something he had every right to do as the leader.

Seb losing his cool like that was the dangerous thing... he didn't have to pull alongside and wave his arms around, he could have just been a big boy and got on with things. He lost his temper... again (That incident with Webber in Turkey while they were both at RBR is another situation where he lost his cool and caused a problem). Losing your temper in a motor racing vehicle (or any kind of vehicle) is dangerous. Seb was so busy throwing a strop that he whacked Lewis' car...

That was why he was penalised... not because Lewis had an issue with his headrest... but because he'd driven dangerously.

Disagree completely.... Lewis had been warned heavily by his team on the first SC restart as he'd almost overtaken it before the line, so he'd taken the precaution to build a big enough gap... something he had every right to do as the leader.

Seb losing his cool like that was the dangerous thing... he didn't have to pull alongside and wave his arms around, he could have just been a big boy and got on with things. He lost his temper... again (That incident with Webber in Turkey while they were both at RBR is another situation where he lost his cool and caused a problem). Losing your temper in a motor racing vehicle (or any kind of vehicle) is dangerous. Seb was so busy throwing a strop that he whacked Lewis' car...

That was why he was penalised... not because Lewis had an issue with his headrest... but because he'd driven dangerously.
The only reason Lewis wasn't penalized was because his team messed up. If that wasn't they case, they both would have got a penalty. It is just amazingly convenient that Seb got a penalty right when Lewis had to come in otherwise. Except we all know why. Vettel would have won the race.

Also, even using your argument if this is all about safety, Lewis put Seb and everyone else on track in danger considering the constant debris problems. So why does that matter with Seb, but not Lewis?

It is also amazing, considering how many times Lewis has clashed with his own teammates and actually caused accidents, that you call Seb dangerous and not Lewis, the manchild.

Jacques Villeneuve, a man who knows a little about auto racing and actual crashes, put it perfectly:

I had a few people message me with pictures of the infamous collision between Formula 1 champions Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve back in 1997. The were kind enough to attach a picture of the incident and while I appreciate their sentiment, I don’t think what happened in Baku is remotely related other than both drivers being German and in a red car.

Good on Autosport for anticipating my defense by sourcing Jacques Villeneuve himself on the incident and his response may surprise you.

“It was very different,” he explained to Autosport. “They’re going 10mph, who cares?

“Of course it was ugly, but ultimately Lewis brake-tested him.

“I’m a driver, I’ve been there. Whenever a driver did that to me, then I would do whatever Seb did.

“He got a penalty, the biggest he could get I guess according to the new rules.”

The fan and mobocracy reaction to Seb’s reaction has been equally silly. Think of the children, he’ll inspire road rage deaths et. al. Really? If you listened to our podcast, both Paul and I make a case that after watching the on-board camera of Seb’s, I’m not entirely convinced he meant to hit Lewis but it would be even more embarrassing to say that he cocked up and accidently drove into the champ. Don’t believe us? Well, a F1 champion in the form of Villeneuve might.

“I don’t think he was trying to hit him,” said the 1997 champion.

“He had one hand on the wheel and was looking at him and pointing the finger.

“You don’t hit with your wheels turned like that, you will break your own car, and with one hand – if you’re going to hit someone, you have two hands on the wheel!

“In a way I am happy to see that drivers have emotions. It’s good, it’s fun.

“We have the two guys fighting for the championship, getting angry with each other, and ultimately no damage was done.

“What’s the big issue? It’s great TV, it’s good to see that they’re on it.

“Much nicer than Lewis asking [Valtteri] Bottas to slow Vettel down. That was embarrassing.”

https://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/villeneuve-theyre-going-10mph-who-cares/

Last edited:
Villneuve is an idiot... the amount of ****e he sprouts constantly has most people tuning him out.

Lewis had the right to slow the pack down behind the SC... he did that and Seb wasn't concentrating and the two clashed. Lewis didn't do anything wrong (and if he did, all he did wrong was to pick a bad spot to legally open the gap behind the SC at the restart).

the timing of the penalty is convenient because you want it to be... it keeps the conspiracy going when in reality, there's nothing in it.

Villneuve is an idiot... the amount of ****e he sprouts constantly has most people tuning him out.

Lewis had the right to slow the pack down behind the SC... he did that and Seb wasn't concentrating and the two clashed. Lewis didn't do anything wrong (and if he did, all he did wrong was to pick a bad spot to legally open the gap behind the SC at the restart).

the timing of the penalty is convenient because you want it to be... it keeps the conspiracy going when in reality, there's nothing in it.
Well you can feel that way about him. That doesn't make him wrong or all the Brits clutching their pearls right. Especially as it seems it is almost exclusively Lewis fans and the British.

The idea that Seb wasn't concentrating before a restart is the most dishonest thing I have heard so far. :funny:

Lewis did what he was legally allowed to.... Seb wasn't concentrating on the car in front of him and that's why he didn't see Lewis building the gap to the SC...If Lewis did anything wrong, then it was picking that spot to do what he was legally allowed to do.

And even if Lewis had intentionally rammed into Seb, that doesn't stop what Seb did from being ****ing stupid and dangerous in it's own right...

There's also the fact that after Seb's hissy fit at Charlie in Mexico last year, he was warned that if anything similar happened, then he'd be taken to an FIA tribunal. Something similar happened and he's now got a tribunal.

Well you can feel that way about him. That doesn't make him wrong or all the Brits clutching their pearls right. Especially as it seems it is almost exclusively Lewis fans and the British.

Darth you know that Brits are very split on Lewis? Not really understanding the British fans comment. Mansell, Hill and Button were well liked in comparison and certainly had much less negativity about them (from British fans) despite Lewis possibly overtaking the lot of them together for championships by the time he retires.

Darth you know that Brits are very split on Lewis? Not really understanding the British fans comment. Mansell, Hill and Button were well liked in comparison and certainly had much less negativity about them (from British fans) despite Lewis possibly overtaking the lot of them together for championships by the time he retires.
The BBC and other such media groups are so in the bag for Lewis, it is embarrassing. And the fans being split, still means a lot of British fans, no? Way more then anywhere else.

The BBC and other such media groups are so in the bag for Lewis, it is embarrassing.

And the fans being split, still means a lot of British fans, no? Way more then anywhere else.
Media groups sure but I thought you were talking about fans.

I'm a Lewis fan but I can see when he's done wrong and have admitted as much in the past in conversations with you. I wasn't sure if you were aware that it's a bit different where Lewis is concerned and British fans. Unlike with Spanish Alonso fans or German Vettel or Schumacher fans, and also like the examples of previous British drivers I gave who were on the whole very popular here with few detractors. In all of the above cases except Hamilton it could make sense to talk about fans from a certain group thinking almost homogeneously but opinions even amongst Brits are always very divided on Lewis. I guess the only people it might make sense that you could be referring to are people who aren't really F1 fans and just fans of the celebrity Lewis and don't know anything about the sport.

Media groups sure but I thought you were talking about fans.

I'm a Lewis fan but I can see when he's done wrong and have admitted as much in the past in conversations with you. I wasn't sure if you were aware that it's a bit different where Lewis is concerned and British fans. Unlike with Spanish Alonso fans or German Vettel or Schumacher fans, and also like the examples of previous British drivers I gave who were on the whole very popular here with few detractors. In all of the above cases except Hamilton it could make sense to talk about fans from a certain group thinking almost homogeneously but opinions even amongst Brits are always very divided on Lewis. I guess the only people it might make sense that you could be referring to are people who aren't really F1 fans and just fans of the celebrity Lewis and don't know anything about the sport.
That is because Lewis is rather awful. Those other guys, as annoy as they can be, aren't like Lewis. The guy who does want to be a celebrity.

That is because Lewis is rather awful. Those other guys, as annoy as they can be, aren't like Lewis. The guy who does want to be a celebrity.

But that doesn't mean all of his fans are vapid idiots. Some/many are sure, but there are also many long time F1 guys who are fans of his driving skill and acknowledge that he is a bit of a **** and can also acknowledge when he is in the wrong. We both follow football and many of the best players are utter ***** - far worse than Lewis lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40522876
Austrian Grand Prix: Sebastian Vettel regrets Lewis Hamilton incident in Baku

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel says he regrets deliberately driving into title rival Lewis Hamilton in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix and has apologised to him.

The German escaped further punishment for the incident at an inquiry held by governing body the FIA on Monday.

Vettel said: "It was the wrong move, to drive alongside him and hit his tyre.

"Am I proud of it? No. Can I take it back? No. Do I regret it? Yes. I had the impression I was fouled. That was wrong. I wasn't happy, I overreacted."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"