Frank Darabont's "Fahrenheit 451" in 2009

Castlewood

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/

Tom Hanks is rumored to be Guy Montag. Frank Darabont wrote the screenplay. He's directing as well.

Well, there's not really much to say at this point in time, since we're 2 years away, so let's discuss Darabont and his works.

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
2. The Green Mile (1999)
3. The Majestic (2001)
4. The Mist (2007)
5. Fahrenheit 451 (2009)

Now, whether you like him or not, you have to admit that Shawshank is one of the BEST movies ever. The Mist recently came out and I think it's an instant classic... Darabont seems to have a good "eye" about filmmaking, and taking on a monster like "Fahrenheit" may give him an Oscar, Best Picture, etc.

I think he's the right man for this job. And he's a terrific writer.

No thanks, Tom Hanks. :csad:

Could be pretty good, they seem like a good team have yet to read the book.

Tom Hanks is one of those actors where it's just Tom Hanks. And it takes away from the movie. Get a B-lister in there for this one.

Tom Hanks is one of those actors where it's just Tom Hanks. And it takes away from the movie. Get a B-lister in there for this one.
Yep. Heavily agreed. And someone younger than Hanks.

Oskar Werner was very good in the '66 version. :up:

Montag is 28 years old in the book. So no to Tom Hanks. Maybe as Beatty but not Montag.

i've been wanting a better version of this for quite some time...can't wait to see it. The team looks great!!

Tom Hanks would work...

... had they made this 23 years ago. :rolleyes:

I kinda think Equilibrium is like the updated version of "Fahrenheit 451" at least when I first saw it.

Yeah the "adaptation" isn't very accurate. Since Darabont said he was going to be far more faithful, I would not expect Hanks to play Montag.

i enjoyed the original movie, thought it depicted the society pretty well. and with what they had, i thought the effects were cool. ill check this one out, as many have said, darabonts good people.

Equilibrium is a rip off of so many books and movies its disgusting. I think UltraViolet exposed that guy for the hack he truely is.

Equilibrium is a rip off of so many books and movies its disgusting. I think UltraViolet exposed that guy for the hack he truely is.

how else does one do a totalitarian/big brother/dictatorship/"Utopian" type society? its all been done before, but yes it is rather lame id have to agree.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/860/860846p1.html

Darabont Discusses 451
Filmmaker talks to us about the Bradbury novel adaptation.

by Brian Linder & Christopher Monfette

B]US, [/B] March 19, 2008 - A new movie version of the classic Ray Bradbury novel Fahrenheit 451 has been kicked around in Hollywood for at least a decade. We spoke to Frank Darabont, who first became attached to the project back in 2001, and asked if there's a chance of the filming getting underway any time soon.

"Fingers crossed," the Mist and Shawshank Redemption filmmaker tells IGN. "I'm really trying to get that one going this year. I'm very hopeful that it will finally happen. It's been a bit of a challenge in that it's not an obvious movie as far as the studios are concerned. It's not somebody's tent-pole idea. It's never been more relevant, in my view, and there's a reason that it's been in print for 60 years. It's a brilliant story and a brilliant piece of work and with a little luck, it'll happen."

There's nothing further to report on the project right now, but it's worth mentioning that casting rumors back in 2007 linked Tom Hanks, who starred in Darabont's Green Mile, to the project. Matt Damon, Paul Bettany, and Joseph Fiennes have also been rumored to be in consideration for the lead role of Guy Montag at some point.

In the story, Montag is a fireman in a futuristic America whose job is to burn books. He is complacent with his job until a series of events prompts him to question himself, and eventually becomes a fugitive chased by a Mechanical Hound.

The book was ok, but what made it great is you could interpret the future discribed as you wish. But as it's written, the future it describes isn't all that futurisic to us. I don't know, I just know that the book sets limits on a film, like a mechanical hound, that, I thought, was the most stupid antagonist ever. I mean a dog just isn't scary enough. Anyway, I would't be too interested in seeing it, and I hope if it is made, they can look past the novel's limitations and focus on the symbolisim of the book.

Just about Everything is a rip off of something else now days.:whatever:

It used a similar concept that all those "so many books and movies" also used. There had to have been a first 'film' and a first 'book' to use that theme. So I guess all those other books and movies also ripped off those "firsts".

There's nothing further to report on the project right now, but it's worth mentioning that casting rumors back in 2007 linked Tom Hanks, who starred in Darabont's Green Mile, to the project. Matt Damon, Paul Bettany, and Joseph Fiennes have also been rumored to be in consideration for the lead role of Guy Montag at some point.
Paul Bettany would be cool.

I like Tom for the role of Guy Montag. Could definitely see this film being something to talk about after watching it.

BTW, i really liked the first movie with Julie Christie :
fahrenheit-451.jpg

Didn´t see this posted.

MTV said:
BREAKING: Tom Hanks Drops Out Of ‘Fahrenheit 451’

Frank Darabont is one of those guys we’re always rooting for. Any guy who’s got both the touchy-feeliness of “The Shawshank Redemption” AND the utter blackness of “The Mist” in him is alright by us. Well, pity poor Frank today, because his passion project, the long in-development film of “Fahrenheit 451″ is once again without a leading man. Tom Hanks is out, Darabont revealed to MTV News exclusively.

Only months ago, Darabont told us Hanks was his Guy Montag. Now it’s not to be. “Mr. Hanks sadly and regretfully had to back out,” he said. “I was really looking forward to working with him again but his other commitments just precluded it. He had to take a step back.”

Despite Hanks’ withdrawal, the director sounded like he’s as excited about the film as ever. “I see this movie so clearly in my head. It’s flowing in my veins,” he said. And just because you think of books first when you think “Fahrenheit 451,” don’t expect something akin to Jane Austen, Darabont promised. He explained, “One character in the script says, ‘It’s not really even about books. It’s about control.’ It’s about the control of government and authority. It’s one of the greatest books ever written. It’s got all that great political stuff underneath the skin of it but really what it is is a great galloping tale.”

That’s all well and good but what Darabont really needs today is a new leading man. “It needs to be somebody like [Hanks] who has the ability to trigger a greenlight but is also the right guy for the part. It’s a narrow target. It’s a short list of people,” Darabont sighed.

Good...hanks is too old. Go after someone around the same age Montag was in the book. He was 28 in the novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"