Frank Darabont's "Fahrenheit 451" in 2009

He can always go after somebody like Jake Gyllenhaal or Ryan Reynolds.

nice to hear they are adapting this one, hopefully it'll be more like the book this time around. i read the first one missed a lot of key points from the books.

Great story, could make a great movie. :up:

The original movie wasn't very good, glad to see that a remake is in the works.

Darabont Says Fahrenheit 451 Too Smart for Hollywood
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com June 25, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com got a chance to talk to Frank Darabont at the 35th Annual Saturn Awards last night and asked him about the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, to which he's been attached for a long time:

That's my other great priority, to try and get the greenlight on that and that's been a bit of a struggle. Hollywood doesn't trust smart material. If you show them a really smart script. I actually had a studio head read that script and say: "Wow, that's the best and smartest script that I've read since running this studio but I can't possibly greenlight it." I asked why and he says "How am I going to get 13-year-olds to show up at the theater?" And I said "Well, lets make a good movie and I bet that will take care of itself." But that argument cut absolutely no ice. The movie was basically too smart for this person, too metaphorical, etc., etc. It's a bit of a battle you've got to fight. When you're faced with it, how do you overcome that prejudice?

The book gives a grim look at a fascist future, in which firemen have taken on a new duty of starting fires as well as putting them out, specifically with the task of burning all books, as way of suppressing independent thought and action in the public. The film's story centers around a young fireman, Guy Montag, who finds himself questioning his job, even as he encounters a beautiful young woman, and learns about an underground of rebels who each memorize the entire contents of a book, so that they can preserve it even without the use of paper.

"How am I going to get 13-year-olds to show up at the theater?"

Wtf...

And thats the problem with hollywood today. Alot can be done with a little money if you know how to strectch it, and sometimes a limited budget creates innovation and ingenuity, I say go independent with this one.

Since when does every movie have to market toward 13 year olds????

This must be a FOX head. Or it could be the same idiots at WB who couldn't figure out how to market Trick r' Treat.

I'd really love to see this film happen. I loved the book. Why is Hollywood so ****ing stupid?!

Well, we'll always have the Truffaut version.

I just finished reading this like three weeks ago. It was pretty good and, if you think about it, the events in the film I could see happening in our lifetimes.

Hopefully they don't screw this up. I'm glad Hanks is out. I'd pick Guy Pearce as the main character but he's too old too. That's who I imagined when I was reading it though. I don't know who else would be good though. Maybe an unknown...

The book was ok, but what made it great is you could interpret the future discribed as you wish. But as it's written, the future it describes isn't all that futurisic to us. I don't know, I just know that the book sets limits on a film, like a mechanical hound, that, I thought, was the most stupid antagonist ever. I mean a dog just isn't scary enough. Anyway, I would't be too interested in seeing it, and I hope if it is made, they can look past the novel's limitations and focus on the symbolisim of the book.

To the first thing quoted, I agree. I think it would be really interesting to set the book in present day, but just an alternate timeline. Like, have everything as it is today, Starbucks everywhere, everyone being Twits but there's absolutely no books. I think that would be incredible.

And to the second thing I bolded, yeah the dog was lame and never really came off as that frightening to me.

I didn't want Tom Hanks to perform as cheesy as he was in The DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons.

Personally Montag's character could be held by Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Matt Damon even. Any strong lead actor who can handle a small amount of physical action, but also portray the emotion needed to his change towards the end.

I want it to be a futuristic Earth, but this time have a scary mechanical hound used by the fire department for ways of being an intimidating symbol.

There also needs to be a nuclear attack in the end!

This movie needs to be released! It reflects the modern culture so much!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"