FX’s Shogun | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai

With folks waiting to binge I do wonder if the miniseries format of 2 or 3 hours a night for a week without the capability to re watch episodes is the reason I can't remember much from the Richard Chamberlain version. Going in decades later I do know some of the history that the fiction dramatized. And I feel compelled to watch a second time as message boards talk and content makers put out videos about the story.

All caught up! The escape from Osaka was tense stuff and the shots of the ships and the boats waiting for them in the dark was gloriously filmed. Mariko's husband was a prick but he got himself a great Samurai death. The banter between Blackthorne and Vasco is a funny juxtaposition to the Japanese.

Kashigi really came to the fore back on Ajiro, his manipulation of the hot headed and insecure Yoshii has really escalated things from political machinations and shadow chess to overt aggression leading to war. Yoshii is the antithesis of his calm and cerebral father, it'll be interesting to see how Lord Toranaga deals with him when he returns. I'm also wondering what Kiku's endgame is as she's clearly manipulating Kashigi, I'm wondering if she might be part of the Amida assassin clan.

After Monarch: Legacy I was interested to see what Anna Sawai could do with a better character & script and she's excellent here, Mariko is smart and progressive but outwardly follows tradition with a mischievous edge, and we saw Usami step up this week! :D

SUrf0.jpg

SUrfj.jpg

Last edited:
He was so excited to share a proper English meal. I do wonder if the poorer folks would be willing to eat rodent stew?

In another lifetime, Blackthorne and Buntaro probably would've been good drinking buddies! And to echo what Kane said, part of me wondered if Buntaro was still alive since TV has trained us to believe that if you don't see them die or a body, they could still be alive.

Quick question… can someone explain to me why Blackthorne left that pheasant out to rot? What was the point of that?

Quick question… can someone explain to me why Blackthorne left that pheasant out to rot? What was the point of that?
It is a chefs procedure to prepare the meat. Game animals generally being older than farm bred. Now it plays like Blackthorne knew the theory but never did the cooking himself and the house cooks also had no experience and a death sentence waiting if they did it themselves

It is a chefs procedure to prepare the meat. Game animals generally being older than farm bred. Now it plays like Blackthorne knew the theory but never did the cooking himself and the house cooks also had no experience and a death sentence waiting if they did it themselves

Ah okay, got it. Thanks.

Yeah, I believe they used to call it "high meat". I was grossed out even reading about it in the book. :yuk:

I guess I’m dense. How did the gardener exactly die? Did someone kill him for touching the bird?

I guess I’m dense. How did the gardener exactly die? Did someone kill him for touching the bird?
I might have missed a specific line or the other version/book covered it but it seemed he volunteered with honorable seppuku to protect the house from what they thought would be Blackthorne's wrath for disobedience .

I might have missed a specific line or the other version/book covered it but it seemed he volunteered with honorable seppuku to protect the house from what they thought would be Blackthorne's wrath for disobedience .
It was exactly this..:)

Blackthorne's reverence for the women in the household seemed inaccurate to me given his background and the time period. In the end it's a TV show, but still.

Blackthorne's reverence for the women in the household seemed inaccurate to me given his background and the time period. In the end it's a TV show, but still.
I thought the same thing last night. He would actually agree with Buntaro’s attitude toward women in real life

Well, I guess we'll find out what the Crimson Sky and Red Wedding have in common soon.

For anyone with a Dolby Vision tv, they put up Shogun on Disney+ and it has DV support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"